Transforming SD footage to HD format. Is it possible? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old April 19th, 2011, 09:04 AM   #1
New Boot

Transforming SD footage to HD format. Is it possible?

Hello,
i shoot video with Sony cam which gives 640 x 480 resolution. And i hate it! I will get HD cam soon, but i need to tranform some footage to HD or Full HD. I was trying to do this by cropping in Vegas, the image look HD but ive got black bars above and under my image, which i dont like. Is the any chanse to crop or do something do get rid of those black bars or how to transfrom SD to HD.

Thank you
Andy Sebkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2011, 09:39 AM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

Re: Transforming SD footage to HD format. Is it possible?

Change your project properties (File - Properties) to one of the widescreen options.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2011, 11:56 AM   #3
Inner Circle

To actually transform the footage to HD you will need to use a third party app like Magic Bullet Instant HD Red Giant Software: Magic Bullet Instant HD 1.2. You'll need FCP, Premiere or After Effects as a host though so this ain't going to come cheap.

Also, I think the results are going to depend very much on what you're trying to upscale and the quality of the footage. Reports as to how good InstantHD is vary widely.

You might find this thread very interesting as well http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-line...ale-sd-hd.html (and cheaper!)
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2011, 08:17 AM   #4
Sponsor: VASST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Stark View Post
To actually transform the footage to HD you will need to use a third party app like Magic Bullet Instant HD Red Giant Software: Magic Bullet Instant HD 1.2. You'll need FCP, Premiere or After Effects as a host though so this ain't going to come cheap.
You could also use Boris FX UpRez which can be purchased separately as a Continuum Unit or as part of Boris Continuum Complete (BCC7). It works right inside of Vegas Pro 10 as a plug-in so there is no need to use any other host. Red Giant dropped support for Sony Vegas so personally I wouldn't give them a dime of my money.

I show you how to use BCC UpRez in my Boris TV episode:

UpRez SD footage to HD in Sony Vegas Pro 10

~jr

Last edited by John Rofrano; April 23rd, 2011 at 08:18 AM. Reason: missing word
John Rofrano is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...