DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Project Media Properties when multicam editing (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/495168-project-media-properties-when-multicam-editing.html)

Jim Snow April 27th, 2011 04:25 PM

Project Media Properties when multicam editing

I have a two camera project that I am preparing to edit. Prior to creating the multicam track, I applied color and white balance corrections to the video files in project media. I apply the corrections to the files in project media so that the corrections are still applied after I create the multicam track - or so I thought. However when I create the multicam track, the corrections are gone. What am I doing wrong?

Gene Gajewski April 27th, 2011 11:51 PM

Re: Project Media Properties when multicam editing

If you are applying FX such as color and white balance *before* you create a multicam, make sure that you apply those corrections to the media, not the track.

In short, you shoud be using media effects, not track effects.

Jim Snow April 27th, 2011 11:57 PM

I'm right clicking on the clips in Project media and selecting Media FX. I see the applied effect on the video in each track but when I create the multitrack, the effect is no longer applied.

Edward Troxel April 28th, 2011 06:40 AM

If you applied it on the MediaFX, all should be properly applied on your final render. Have you switched in and out of multi-cam mode? Does that make a difference?

Jim Snow April 28th, 2011 07:14 AM

When I switch out of multicam mode, I can see the applied FX. I'm applying New Blue Color fixer plus.

Edward Troxel April 28th, 2011 07:43 AM

I suspect Vegas is automatically turning it off in multi-cam mode in order to speed up preview speeds.

Jim Snow April 28th, 2011 08:37 AM

Thanks Edward, I will try it with 9.0 to see if that makes a difference. I have regularly done this without a problem so I was a bit surprised when I had a problem. I don't believe I have tried it since I upgraded to 10.0

Edward Troxel April 28th, 2011 08:54 AM

I always use Excalibur for my multi-cam work so I haven't done a lot with the new built-in multi-cam! :-)

Jim Snow April 28th, 2011 08:58 AM

You demonstrate every day that Vegas users need you. ;-)

Jim Snow May 3rd, 2011 07:48 PM

I'm at a loss, no matter which version of Vegas I use, the problem is the same. When I enable multicam editing, the filters that are applied to the Project Media files go away. I am wondering if there is a setting somewhere that controls this. This is really strange. If the FX are thrown away when you do a multicam edit, why even have Project Media?

Gerald Webb May 3rd, 2011 09:02 PM

Jim,
I just did one with 4 cams, and did this-
Sync it all,
Create your multi cam track,
Do all your editing,
Now in Vegas 10 you can select, Expand to multiple tracks, previous you had to do this manually.
Then you can do your color at track level, with the added bonus of being able to key frame it if you need to.

The only downside I found with this was that i had to reapply my cross fades.
Overall though it was a pretty well controlled and easy to see workflow.

Jim Snow May 3rd, 2011 09:11 PM

Thanks Gerald, that sounds like it may do the trick. I will give it a try and see how it works.