DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Cheapest Movie Studio 10 to Pro 10 upgrade? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/495238-cheapest-movie-studio-10-pro-10-upgrade.html)

Harry Simpson April 29th, 2011 12:35 PM

Cheapest Movie Studio 10 to Pro 10 upgrade?

I've found that an upgrade from Vegas Movie Studio HD 10 Platinum is $500...Then I'll need to buy PluralEyes at $150 more. Has anyone heard of any good deals on either this package or the individual products?
Is $750 worth it to "upgrade" to pro? (how's that for a subjective question?)

Steve Game April 30th, 2011 05:27 AM

Re: Cheapest Movie Studio 10 to Pro 10 upgrade?

I upgraded from Platinum 10 Production to Pro 10 and it cost about 160GBP (about 250USD at today's rates). I used a promotion number that was also posted here in February. Sony send them out to registered owners of Studio sometimes. The default cost would have been 355GBP art which cost I would have not been interested.

Steve

Harry Simpson May 2nd, 2011 11:07 AM

yesterday I found a "special" that ended yesterday whereby I could upgrade for $400 and almost did it and then thought about it and I really don't need the PRO features yet - I can do 99% of everything I need to do in Studio 10 Suite so I'm holding off. This last project was the first where I was actually getting close to the 10 audio track limit so I think I'll wait until a really sweet deal before I actually do the Pro upgrade.

Adam Stanislav May 2nd, 2011 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry Simpson (Post 1644990)
This last project was the first where I was actually getting close to the 10 audio track limit

If that is the only problem, a free alternative exists, though it is extra work on your part. You could just use the available audio tracks to get the basic audio layout, export the audio mix as a .wav file, and fill in the rest in Audacity. Then export the mix from Audacity to another .wav file and import that to your video editor as a replacement of all the tracks.

Edward Troxel May 2nd, 2011 01:37 PM

Why would you go to Audacity when Vegas can do the mix just as well and still export to a WAV that can be imported to a single track? You've not gained anything.

Adam Stanislav May 2nd, 2011 02:30 PM

Yes, that is another possibility. I just do not know anything about Movie Studio, so I offered a solution I am familiar with.

Harry Simpson May 8th, 2011 08:45 PM

Welp Sony offering upgrades from Studio for $342 but i still am not realizing where i'm gonna get $320 worth of value from the upgrade from the top level version of studio.....someone enlighten me......

Jeff Harper May 8th, 2011 10:37 PM

If you don't need Vegas Pro, then you don't need it. I personally use Ultimate S, and a few other scripts. Can't do this in Studio versions.

Harry Simpson May 9th, 2011 08:55 AM

Scripts would be an advantage but since I can't use them now I really don't no what a benefit they may be.
Also the unlimited audio and video tracks and audio fx per clip would be pretty good. Is there a good overview of useful scripts so I could see what I'm missing?

Edward Troxel May 9th, 2011 09:10 AM

Harry, just take a look at places like www.jetdv.com/excalibur , www.jetdv.com/mm , Sony Vegas Pro training, plug-ins, camcorder and video production tutorials - VASST and you'll see several scripts and the types of things they can do. For example, Vegas could do multi-cam eight years ago - when Excalibur was first released. Scripts have come a long way since then!

Harry Simpson May 10th, 2011 07:11 AM

You know one of the major reasons I wasn't upgrading was to have to buy PluralEyes to replace DualEyes which I own now. Then driving to this contract job i had a nice awakening. DualEyes is stand alone anyway so I can sync the files before I ever drag them onto the Pro timeline.....duh! Course the dual plus camera video sync I don't get but Ed didn't you say your stuff will do that? Excalibur?

So this kinda opens up the go ahead for the Pro upgrade.

Thanks
Harry

Edward Troxel May 10th, 2011 08:20 AM

Excalibur can assist with the syncing process but YOU still have to find the sync points. Plural Eyes finds the sync points for you. For my uses (2 - 4 cams where all run the entire time), it's very simply to manually do it. If you needed to find tons of sync points because one or more cameras were stopped and started multiple times, that would take MUCH more work which plural eyes could simplify.

James Saradetch May 10th, 2011 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry Simpson (Post 1644247)
I've found that an upgrade from Vegas Movie Studio HD 10 Platinum is $500...Then I'll need to buy PluralEyes at $150 more. Has anyone heard of any good deals on either this package or the individual products?
Is $750 worth it to "upgrade" to pro? (how's that for a subjective question?)

Hi Harry, have you seen this? SVDVD10OEM2 Sony Vegas Pro 10 (Packed in a Slip Sleeve)

That is USD 275 for an OEM version of Sony Vegas Pro

cheers

Mike Kujbida May 10th, 2011 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Saradetch (Post 1647625)
Hi Harry, have you seen this? SVDVD10OEM2 Sony Vegas Pro 10 (Packed in a Slip Sleeve)

That is USD 275 for an OEM version of Sony Vegas Pro

cheers

Be advised that the fine print for that ad specifically says does not include DVD Architect Pro software.

You can't buy DVD Architect by itself so you'll need to buy another DVD authoring/creation package.

Harry Simpson May 10th, 2011 10:02 AM

Interesting but "does not include DVD Architect Pro software"

Gee wonder if the upgrade includes it on the Sony site upgrade offer??? I've got to have DVD Architect which will work with PRO