Advance colo correction at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old April 30th, 2011, 02:17 PM   #1
Major Player

Advance colo correction

Hi all,

Just read about Red Giant's Colorista, which of course is not compatible for Vegas, "sigh".

Frankly I was hoping for more robust color correction tools in version 10. My projects are now being shot more and more with DSLR camera's and I find that the available CC tools in Vegas are not sufficient enough.

Is there any other similar tool that would let me do the same job?

I remember reading that version 10 now works with a open architecture that allow 3rd party developper's the opportunity to develop FX plugins. What about there then...

Thanks,

Phil
Phil Gosselin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2011, 11:55 PM   #2
Old Boot

Re: Advance colo correction

Phil, Frederic's is one I'm evaluating at the moment.

It IS OFX enabled and could be one that matches your needs. Frederic gives email response to feedback:-

Color Grading [Archive] - The Digital Video Information Network

Download the 7 day evaluation copy and use directly in VP10.

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2011, 01:32 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Phil,

I am not a dslr video guy, but was wondering just what else you actually need? Also are you converting your footage to cineform that gives you better color space?

Dale
Old May 2nd, 2011, 01:09 PM   #4
Major Player

Graham:

Thanks for the heads up on this plugin, basically though it is 40$ just to replace the new White Balance plugin already present in Vegas...not really convinced.

Unless of course you tell me that in your evaluation so far you find that it is a real time saver?

Dale:

No I do not convert to cineform but edit the footage as is. What do I need...have you seen the Colorista II trailer, if not then check it out on Red Giant website. My jaw simply dropped when I saw all the possibilities this tool has to offer.

Thanks
Phil Gosselin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2011, 12:53 AM   #5
Old Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Gosselin View Post
.... basically though it is 40$ just to replace the new White Balance plugin already present in Vegas...not really convinced.
Have you downloaded it to compare it with the SONY one yet? What do you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Gosselin View Post
Unless of course you tell me that in your evaluation so far you find that it is a real time saver?
Only you will be the final abitor of that. And, again, you get a 7 day free FULLY functioning copy to try out. Why take my word for it. $40? How much is Colorista?

Grazie
Old May 3rd, 2011, 05:51 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Are we comparing like for like here?
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2011, 09:10 PM   #7
Trustee

Those two plug ins are like comparing Windows movie Maker and After Effects.

I'm trying Colorista 2 now.
It is simply amazing. The control you have, especially for skin tones is huge.
Is there a Vegas plug in that is similar?
Old May 3rd, 2011, 09:39 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Check this Cineform tutorial. What is easier than instantaneous application of correction.

Introduction to FirstLight (part 1) - VIDEO TUTORIAL : cineform support
Old May 3rd, 2011, 10:05 PM   #9
Trustee

Yeah I know, I have NeoHD.
but, I've just about given up on it :(
The issues Ive had,

1.Open First Light, apply primary corrections..... sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt, and I mean nothing happens.
So I close it, go back to Vegas and then one of the files Ive been editing HAS changed, even though it didnt in First light.
Ive tried to work out why some files do work and others dont and TBH, gave up and kept editing.

2. When you render out a file from Vegas to Cineform then go to do some CC in First Light, the corrections you do are only applied to parts of the render that Vegas has changed, any No Recompress rendered parts of the file are immune from First Light.
ie. You apply a Look and 2.39:1 framing,
Play the file back, your Look and Framing only appear at your crossfades (the parts that Vegas had to render).

I absolutely think First Light is the way of the future, but either I'm not using it right or there are a few bugs that need to be worked out first.
Old May 3rd, 2011, 10:44 PM   #10
Old Boot

Chris, thanks for that link.

Direct codec manipulation, all that control, copy paste, histos on preview, mix n match skins..... If our friend was hoping for this as an option in VP10, it maybe sometime coming.

Saying that, and until us "beachomers" stumble upon these early OFX offerings or are part of any 3rd party testing, we can only wait and see what must be stuff waiting in the OFX "wings".

In my attempt to put forward an OFX offering, that I wished to share here, I'll take the critiscm of inappropriate comparison and would rather still bring it to the Forum than sit on it. But that's me. The OP asked for a CC that was making use OFX - Federic's does. The OP asked for more control than the existing SONY offering - Federic's adds some. However, Chris's link to that demo is leaning more to colour grading and spectacular manipulation of real time codec execution, amazing.

Grazie
Old May 4th, 2011, 01:30 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Grazie, I don't think there was any criticism intended, and it's always good to hear of new tools for Vegas. It's really that your comment '$40? How much is Colorista?' suggested to me that one would get the same functionality for less, hence my question 'are we comparing like for like?'.

Personally I am optimistic about advanced third party tools coming to Vegas. A year ago, who would have thought that we would be seeing motion tracking, a layer deformer, particle generators, realistic rain and snow generators, decent time remapping, uprezzing etc on the Vegas platform?

I think a strong toolset like Colorista would be a great addition and is an add-on that would be high on my list. Let's not hold our breaths for a Vegas-compatible offering from Magic Bullet though!

As an aside, NewBlue have recently sent an email to their user base inviting suggestions for new tools to go into Video Essentials 5. They're developing for OFX so if enough people request a strong set of CC and grading tools, building on the plugins they already have in this area, perhaps we might see the sort of thing Phil (and others) is looking for.
Old May 4th, 2011, 03:45 AM   #12
Old Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Stark View Post
It's really that your comment '$40? How much is Colorista?' suggested to me that one would get the same functionality for less, hence my question 'are we comparing like for like?'.
Ian, my comparison was the inverse of how you read it.

My comment was along the lines of this is $40, and if he had downloaded the evaluation copy he could witness the additional White Balance features that are available over and ABOVE the existing SONY WB, after all, it was the OP that said it offered little above the SONY WB. So why take my word for it, download and try it.

And again, if the OP wants to eval it's plainly there to eval. If it doesn't cut it for him, nothing lost and MAYBE something gained!

Where do I say it has the same or equivalent tools as Colorista? However, I do say: "It IS OFX enabled and could be one that matches your needs." How do I know how much of Colorista he's looking for? How much of an OFX is he looking for?

No doubt that this is a tricky subjective subject. The other thing if he needs a quick=FAST workflow (that was another point he raised), then again maybe Frederic's could/would be a contender.

When I first saw a demo of Colorista, and at that time, I couldn't justify the purchase. Having the clients I now have, AND having purchased MBL, when it was on a deal, having some additional and intelligent options for colour grading and CC work puts a package like Colorista back on the agenda for me.

I honestly believe that the way forward for Vegas will be to have even MORE creative ways to tease out visual options. The 3D thing? Discuss . . . . But, on the other hand, away from the 3D temptress, are more sleek, slippery and sexy ways for me to get more and more from my shot footage for clients, is what I'm expecting from Vegas, from here on in. And THAT means a wider choice of 3rd PARTY OFX plugins, which there will be. And THAT produces competition. And THAT means more affordable s/w to do it And THAT means more routes to creativity.

Grazie
Old May 4th, 2011, 10:33 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Grazie,

I agree with you here totally!!

makes total sense!!
Old May 4th, 2011, 01:08 PM   #14
Inner Circle

OK, point(s) taken Grazie, it's just that mentioning the two products in the same sentence does kind of make the reader (at least this one) think you're making a comparison when clearly there is almost none. Shows how easy it is to be misinterpreted.

As for the future, my personal wish is less for *new* creative options and more for improved performance, greater stability and easier/quicker ways to achieve the same creative results that my clients are paying me for today. Being mercenary for a moment, if a plugin saves me half an hour, that's another £50 in the bank. If it doesn't improve my bottom line I am unlikely to be interested in it as it will be no more than another distraction in my fx pool for me to fiddle with! Oh how I wish I had the time!
Old May 4th, 2011, 01:23 PM   #15
Old Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Stark View Post
Oh how I wish I had the time!
But you do, dear heart, you most certainly do! I'll just wave my magic wand and make that all important magic incantation and you WILL go to the Ball!

Funny, but "fiddling" in that FX pool has made me some of the most important clients I've had, happy.

Hey ho . . .

Actually, more slippery Real Time Preview is my goal.

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...