DVDA wants to recompress HD video - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old May 25th, 2011, 08:51 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: DVDA wants to recompress HD video

Dale, Mpeg 2 720 60p is listed as a compliant format for bluray in Vegas help, and is listed in the Wikepedia entry for Blu-ray as supported.

For supported media, go here: Blu-ray Disc - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and scroll down to Media Format and you can see the formats supported. Interlaced and progressive are both supported.

What I am trying to do, Dale, is render my media (using Vegas) for DVDA so that it is compliant and does not need to be re-compressed by DVDA.

Re-compression should be unnecessary, and worse it takes a huge amount of time, and while the quality hit may not be that bad, I'm shooting in 720 60p, and it should be a breeze to render and burn, but instead DVDA wants to recompress my footage a second time before burning the disc, and that is no good. Much too time consuming.

I am currently rendering a 2.5 minute video project for this purpose, so render time is short in Vegas, but in DVDA it takes 15 minutes or so when it recompresses.

When I start turning out Blu-ray weddings here in a week or so, what will I do then? If I let DVDA recompress my files a 90 minute video will take at least 10 hours to recompress, if my estimation is right.
Old May 25th, 2011, 09:03 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Ron, I am rendering the video separately. for test purposes I'm not even using audio, just to eliminate any possible extraneous issue.
Old May 25th, 2011, 09:29 AM   #18
Inner Circle

I just tried avc codec again same thing. I've been at this since 3:45 yesterday, with 4 hours break for sleep.

I have now lost a night's sleep, and one and a half day's work, and am still no closer to a solution. I could likely spend the rest of the day, but this is going nowhere.

I would just quit, but I HAVE to figure this out. I have weekly weddings, sometimes two a week, and I am going to be burning bluray discs to try and upsell clients.

I don't see living my life around the time it takes DVDA to recompress my videos.

I would give up the whole idea of blu-ray, but it is part of my current business plan. media players are not big here in Cincinnati, but bluray is relatively popular.
Old May 25th, 2011, 09:56 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Hi Jeff,
It seems you are not alone with this problem, you could maybe follow the last post on this
forum thread.
720p & Bluray burning?

Sorry I can't be of more help. I'm PAL and interlaced.

Regards
RichardG
Richard Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2011, 10:10 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Jeff,
Can't you render out of vegas at 1080p mpeg2, (upscale).
and then see what dvda makes of that.

Just a desperate thought, not sure if it will affect your quality or not.

Regards
RichardG
Richard Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2011, 11:08 AM   #21
Inner Circle

I normally shoot 1920x1080 so the only 1280x720P60 stuff I have is from my ContourHD headcam and this is mov. I just did a short 6:30min clip in Vegas 10.0D build 669. I have a Bluray 1280x720P60 preset for export which I used. It is at the bottom of the list of presets for MainConcept MPEG. This took about 8 mins to render. Took into DVD Architect 5.2 which recognized it as a 1280x720P60 file. However it still wanted to render this file !!!! This took 12min to render for Bluray. When I have time i will try and find out why. See if it is a mismatch between bit rates etc. I always have the same problem with AC3 files from TMPGenc.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2011, 11:22 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Richard, that was an excellent thread to point me to, and most kind of you to find it and send me there. At the end the last post, guiy claimed he found a way. Now why he didn't post the solution is beyond me, but I messaged him and hopefully he will share his answer.

Thanks again.

Ron, I have to quit this for now, but I'll try some more things later. Deeply appreciate your efforts, muchas gracias.
Old May 25th, 2011, 11:27 AM   #23
Inner Circle

I found the problem. The preset for Bluray 1280x720 does not set the output to be progressive !!!! The bit rate is also too high for a burned disc.The preset default has max at 30000, average at 25000 and min 20000. I think DVDA requires max bit rate to be below 28000 for a burned disc.

I have now re done the export modifying the preset to be progressive and setting max bit rate to 25mbps and average 18Mbps. Render from Vegas is now realtime. In DVD Architect file is accepted as before, still have to confirm settings but now makes disc in 1:16 mins.

So for a 6:59 min file Vegas 10.0 d Build 669 render was 7:05, and DVDA made disc in 1:16min

You may want to play around to get bit rates and the quality you need.

Ron Evans
Old May 25th, 2011, 11:34 AM   #24
Inner Circle

Ron, I am on the way to the airport, but am excited to try your settings, though I feel certain I was outputting progressive, so I'm a bit worried about that, and my bitrate was quite low, but I'll try it as soon as I return!
Old May 25th, 2011, 02:07 PM   #25
Inner Circle

Ron, no joy in Cincinnati Our presets seem different. Mine 720 30p is progressive, but there is no 60p, only 30p, so I change the frame rate. Bit rate is by default around 18000, so that should be good.

Do you have a 720 60p preset?

I don't have a Blu-ray preset for 720, only a HD preset.
Attached Thumbnails
DVDA wants to recompress HD video-render-setting.jpg  
Old May 25th, 2011, 02:09 PM   #26
Inner Circle

wait, you are talking about the preset in DVDA, not Vegas, aren't you? I've checked that and double checked it...and my bit rate is at 18000, same as my video, and I'm sure mine is progressive, but I'll try it again.
Old May 25th, 2011, 02:16 PM   #27
Inner Circle

Same thing, my settings in DVDA are perfect, or at the least I'm sure they match my rendered footage:

Here is a screen shot of the clip properties
Attached Thumbnails
DVDA wants to recompress HD video-clip-properties.jpg  
Old May 25th, 2011, 02:59 PM   #28
Inner Circle

I have Vegas on two machines and on one of them it has the preset and on the other it doesn't !!! Not sure how that happened unless I made the preset myself. So I just created the preset on the other machine too. Took the 1920x1080 60i preset and changed it to 1280x720 59.94fps, with the changes to bit rate etc and called 1280x720P60 and saved. It all works

Ron Evans
Old May 25th, 2011, 03:02 PM   #29
Inner Circle

I see, I'll try changing my 1080i and see what happens, thanks Ron.
Old May 25th, 2011, 03:31 PM   #30
Inner Circle

Tried it, won't render, I get an error message. I just undid my overclocking to make sure that wasn't the issue, is isn't. Whoopee, now I can go redo that later, as my computer feels like it's at half speed now.

I feel like I'm at the end of ideas, not sure what else to do. Other 1080 setttings won't render when changed to 720p, I get an error that the media could not be created.

If anyone has anything, I'm all ears.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...