Need help with my workflow at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old May 24th, 2011, 07:31 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Need help with my workflow

Weekly I edit the video for my church service. I've recently started using Vegas Pro exclusively and there are a couple of things that I'm sure could be done better.

1. I'm dropping a still onto my video track but I have to select "properties" and de-select "maintain aspect ratio" to have the photo fit the widescreen format of my video. Is there a better way to do this? I typically have 20-30 of these to drop in that need reformatting like this.

2. Is there a way to save my favorite transitions and/or effects to a single place so I can find them without having to swap to and from different locations to find them?

Thanks in advance.
Wade Hanchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2011, 06:45 AM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

Re: Need help with my workflow

Which version of Vegas are you using?

For #1, I would open Pan/Crop, right-click the image in the Pan/Crop screen, and choose "Match Output Aspect"

For #2, you could create an "effects chain" which would let you choose them from a shorter list.

For editing my church service, I wrote a special Custom Command to simplify the editing process. I have simple buttons that add certain images (and automatically apply a Match Aspect), add certain titles, add movements to my lower-thirds, etc...
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2011, 05:18 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Edward,

I'm using Vegas Pro 10.

The pictures I'm using are exports of scripture taken from our church's MediaShout program. There are quite a few, so having to resize them individually is time consuming. I started out by placing them on a separate track with the track/motion edited for the resize. I just don't get the same transition effect though unless I overlay them on the video track.

As to question 2, I'm applying a different transition at the start of the scripture photo than I am at the ending of it. So I'm having to slide back and forth between two transition types. Sounds kind of nit-picky but I was thinking there may be an easier way. I'm learning features as I go. I guess I was thinking I should be able to create a "favorites" folder and copy my most common used transitions to it. Same for effects.

Your custom command.... is this an Excaliber feature? Does it require knowledge of script writing?
Old May 25th, 2011, 10:03 PM   #4
New Boot

1) In the Option - Preferences window you can find the option (can not remember its name, something like "Automatically crop still images") that will automatically match new images on a timeline to the project output aspect ratio.
2) As to question 2, you can create your own folders in Plug-In Manager window (under the View menu) and move all your favorite transitions/effects into it.

Last edited by Edward Troxel; May 26th, 2011 at 06:41 AM.
Aleksey Tarasov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2011, 06:59 AM   #5

Wade, while Excalibur could automatically adjust the images for you, I'm not using Excalibur. I have a specially written script designed specifically for our edit. It's a simple layout - you can see it attached. Here's how it works:

Start New Service loads the base template, adds this weeks service to the timeline, and saves it under a new name. To the right are some indicators showing the length of the timeline and how much over/under the program is from the specified airing length.

Add Name and the drop down list will let me choose from a list of title images we've created and drop that name on the timeline at the cursor location.

New Name will let me add the lower third/generated media so I can type in a new name if it's not in the list. I can type the name in the box to the right and click on Save Name Under Cursor to add that name to the list.

Red Window Slider/Red Slider will both add a lower third that slides in from the right using Pan/Crop and a generated media for adding the title.

Add Scripture Reference adds a background image for the scripture and generated media where I paste in the text from Bible Explorer.

Then I added the Create Web Files to render the final output to multiple formats so the files could be placed on the web. We are not currently doing so but we may in the future.

I don't actually use the "Add Fade" anymore.

But I definitely don't see why a custom command couldn't add your images to the timeline, properly resize them, and even add the desired transitions for you.
Attached Thumbnails
Need help with my workflow-churchcc.jpg  
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2011, 06:01 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Aleksey,

Changing the "preferences" is cropping the image, not matching the aspect ratio. I may prefer that though as it makes my stills larger. I'll have to sleep on that one.

I don't completely understand on the plug-in manager. It won't let me save my favorite preset to a new folder so I don't think it will save me any time.

Thanks
Old May 26th, 2011, 06:28 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Edward,

I would love to have something like that which I could configure to meet my needs. I don't have any experience with writing scripts but am interested in learning about it.

I would consider Excalibur as well if I felt it would do these things for me. Specifically, here are my workflow bottlenecks:

1. During the church service, I start a stopwatch program along with my capture and press a button which creates a log file with a time for each scripture or other overhead that I will be adding in post. I take this text file and use it to add markers on the timeline. I add jpegs of the scripture or other media to the video timeline corresponding with the markers. Nothing is ever in order. I have to start playback a few seconds ahead of the marker to pick up on what I should be looking for. Then I drag that file in. I add a "3D Blinds / Spin" transition to the start of the event. I move the event to time the transition with the pastor's reading of the scripture, etc. Then I'll either add successive scripture jpegs in as he continues to read, or once he's finishing a section of scripture, I'll add a "3D Fly In/Out / Spin Away" transtion to the end of the event. I have the default transition time set to 2 seconds which seems to be working ok for me. This adding of the two different transition types is where I hoped I could place them both in one location. Maybe sounds petty until you are doing it over and over.

2. With each of these events, I have to select "properties", and uncheck "maintain aspect ratio". That's pretty annoying too. I can see where that's probably easily solved with a script of some kind with me selecting all of the media on that track, then deselecting the video and running the script to "NOT maintain aspect ratio". That's just my hope anyway.

I'm coming from an old version of Premiere Elements. I've had Vegas Pro since version 7 but never made the change because I was trapped getting more and more comfortable with PE. DVDA was intimidating to me so recently I made an effort to see if I could learn a little about it and once I did, I made the full switch to Vegas. I like the challenge of learning Vegas and look forward to seeing just how much I can do with it. Thanks for your help.
Old May 26th, 2011, 08:39 PM   #8
Regular Crew

OK. For the aspect ratio issue, I found a script for maintaining aspect ratio and changed the variable to false to NOT maintain aspect ratio. Tested it. Works great. I'll add a button for that script to the toolbar and I'm good. Transition issue remains.
Old May 27th, 2011, 08:38 AM   #9

Excalibur could certainly do the fades for you. Just select all the events that need the transition and use the Events tab "Fade Events" tool to add the desired fade out time to each of the events and then use the "Apply Transitions" tool to add the desired transition to each fade out. If you'd like to talk about a customized script, send me an e-mail and we can talk.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...