720p to sd DVD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old May 24th, 2011, 09:39 PM   #1
Inner Circle

720p to sd DVD

I shoot in 720 60p. How will results be when preparing for SD widescreen DVD if I render to mpeg 2? Does the footage need to be converted to interlaced prior to editing, or will Vegas work with it just fine? Will there be problems when played as a SD DVD?

BTW, I still do not have a solution to the question in the other thread I started about DVDA recompression, so if you have any help to offer on that thread please stop by and tell me what you can.
Old May 24th, 2011, 10:44 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: 720p to sd DVD

Hey Jeff,
I mainly shoot 720p 50 and there is one little trick to do,
If you drop it into a 25p timeline (30 for you) you will notice that you get frame blending (ghosting) if you look at a still that has motion in it.
Easy fix is, drop all your clips on the 30p timeline, hit the D key twice to select your marquee tool, select all of your video clips (just video, not audio as well),
right click, switches, check Disable resample.
If you had your CTI on a frame with ghosting you will notice it now disappears.
The other way to do it is, go into clip properties and make undersample rate .5, which will give you 30, half of 60.
First way is better I think, but each to their own.
Re the DVD, I just carry on Progressive all the way through, since thats what you export out of Vegas, 25 or 30p in your case.
Old May 28th, 2011, 03:56 PM   #3
Jubal 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
I shoot in 720 60p. How will results be when preparing for SD widescreen DVD if I render to mpeg 2? Does the footage need to be converted to interlaced prior to editing, or will Vegas work with it just fine? Will there be problems when played as a SD DVD?

BTW, I still do not have a solution to the question in the other thread I started about DVDA recompression, so if you have any help to offer on that thread please stop by and tell me what you can.
Do you like the "live," fluid look of 60p? (Rendering as 24p or 30p will change the motion considerably and you will lose that.)

If so, then do a widescreen NTSC DVD -- it'll keep the motion exactly as is. It'll be 60i, but there's no such thing as a 60p DVD.

Use the DVD Architect NTSC Widescreen template (under MPEG-2); you have to render audio separately.

And no, you do not need to convert before editing, and definitely should not. Vegas will have no problem doing the render when you're done.
David Jimerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2011, 04:20 PM   #4
Inner Circle

David, thanks much for your feedback!
Old June 7th, 2011, 01:49 AM   #5
Major Player

Jeff. I don't know if this is any help to you but it mentions 720. Anyway have a look. This person has many many YouTube tutorials on VMS. Click onto
How to Create a 720p HD Video (.wmv) for YouTube using Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 10 | Ethical Reviews Regards
Roy Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2011, 08:09 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Roy, thanks much!
Old June 8th, 2011, 11:26 PM   #7
Trustee

This only really works for 60p or 50p sources but turn on reduce interlace flickering by going into the properties of each clip. You can do all the clips quickly with a script.

By converting 60p to 60i and turning this feature on it will help filter the fields a bit to reduce some of the interlace flickering. Also make sure to use interpolate fields for the best results. This should give you a nice filtered 60i DVD. In fact I think it only really works well when converting 60p/50p to 60i/50i.

Note this doesn't work with interlaced sources since filtering would end up blending the fields together. It only works correctly with progressive source footage.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2011, 05:41 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Thanks for the infor Thomas. I'll be actually doing this project soon, lots of good info!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...