Help with track motion at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old May 30th, 2011, 08:58 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Help with track motion

I am having some problems doing something which I assumed should give me no trouble!! I want to make a small logo rotating on itself continously at the top left hand corner of my clip. What I am doing is, first change compositing mode to 3d source alpha, then doing resizing and moving the logo to desired position. And thats fine. Now comes my problem. When I make the logo rotate on the Y axis the perspective of the image changes as it turns around. If I leave the logo in the centre of the screen it rotates beautifully. Any ideas on how I can make this logo rotate in the corner without having a distortion in the image??
George Palmier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2011, 09:15 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Help with track motion

Thanks to John Rofrano for this tutorial.
Changing the 3D Track Motion Pivot Point
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2011, 09:31 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for your quick answer Mike. I had already gone through that tutorial but thats not my problem. I try to explain better. I am having the effect, which I dont want, that the camera view is still in the centre of the screen. I want to have the camera view of the logo in the centre of the rotating logo (at the top left hand corner). Can this be done with track motion after all? Thanks for any replies
George Palmier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2011, 10:53 AM   #4
Jubal 28

I get what you mean.

I'd leave it in the center, render it out with an alpha channel, bring the rendered file back into the timeline, then use 2D track motion to move it down into the corner. If you render it properly it can be an endless-repeating loop.

Or . . . I have not tried this specific thing, so I'm not sure how the relationship in 3D space would work, but you could also try rotating the logo in a separate project, then nest the project in your main project and move it down to the corner with 2D track motion. However, that may be more of a pain than it's worth compared to just rendering out the clip.
David Jimerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2011, 12:23 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks for your reply David. I tried your second idea, doing it in seperate project. It worked perfectly and I got what I wanted exactly. First I used track motion and then the pan and crop tool in the main project to move the logo to desired position. I love this forum!!!
George Palmier is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...