DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Around and Around I Go (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/496730-around-around-i-go.html)

David Rice June 3rd, 2011 06:49 AM

Around and Around I Go

My computer hard drive acted up, which required me to re-register my software. Sony Movie Maker 10, no problem. Vegas pro 8.1, no problem. Then it came to my old standby Vegas Pro 8.c. Lot's of problems.

I keep getting error messages that the server was unable to complete the registration. I then tried registering using a different computer, which failed also. I also checked my registry for errors.

I went to the Sony Web Site tried to enter my Sony "user account". No dice. Just silence. It's like I don't exist anymore.

I heard Sony has hacking problems, so maybe they have closed some of their web functions down.

I have spent three days loading and reloading Vegas 8.c. and hours of time going around and around on the Sony Vegas customer support and "Help" web page. Like being caught in a giant old fashion "phone trap" I have been led from one option to another. All ending in a dead end, or back where I started.

Is there a direct email address to Sony Support for my problem?

I just want my Authorization Code for My software.

Edward Troxel June 3rd, 2011 07:20 AM

Re: Around and Around I Go

The division that had "hacking problems" is a totally different division totally unrelated to Sony Creative Software. I recommend you call Sony Customer Service and let them help you go through the process. They would be able to figure out what is going on in your case.

David Rice June 3rd, 2011 07:37 AM

What's the phone number? I have looked for it for two days. They hide it good.

Dave

Edward Troxel June 3rd, 2011 08:31 AM

On the Sony Creative Software site, I went to About - Contact Us - and then clicked on Contact Customer Service which took me here:

Sony Creative Software - Support - Contact Us

This gave me:

Call us:
US, Canada, and the US Virgin Islands:
English language service
800.577.6642 (toll free)
9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. CST, Monday through Friday

European Locations:
United Kingdom: 0800 028 1475 (toll free)
France: 0805540331 (toll free)
Germany: 0800 0006511 (toll free)
Switzerland: 0800 563636 (toll free)

World-wide English language service

Send us a fax:
+1 608.250.1745

David Rice June 3rd, 2011 11:28 AM

I have spent the morning calling the above 800.577.6642 (toll free)

I was given "8" choices, choice #7 was for registration problems. A recording instructed me to register at the Sony Web page if my computer registration had failed. I followed the instructions, and I was not able to register. I was not able to enter my Sony Account. I was not able to create a new Sony Account because it said I already had one. No option was given if the Web Page option failed.

The final part of the phone recording stated that Sony Creative Software "no longer accepts software registrations by telephone". and once again directed me to the Web Site.

Around and around I go.

I say no more......

Edward Troxel June 3rd, 2011 11:56 AM

Choose whatever option it takes to TALK to a person. Then tell them your issue.

Adam Stanislav June 3rd, 2011 12:32 PM

Most of the phone press this or that menus do not tell you, but they tend to accept it if you just say the word operator after which they reluctantly connect you to a live human being. In many cases pressing 0 has the same effect, but just saying the magic word seems to work with most such systems. You may have to repeat the word several times before it gives in.

Phil Lee June 3rd, 2011 12:40 PM

Hi

I believe the "server problem" is really a registration rejection by Sony. They basically have decided not to let you register that software as they consider it pirated or in use on too many machines.

I had the same issue after re-installing Windows 7 and Sony Vegas trial version, I'd dabbled with it a few times before falling back to my bought copy of MovieStudio, and after re-installing the OS I thought, okay I get another 30 days lets play some more. It wouldn't let me register the trial and kept coming back with this server error, but the registration server was obviously okay as MovieStudio registered fine immediately afterwards. I eventually bought Sony Vegas, the installed trial version was still refusing me with a server error, but putting in the key from the bought copy was all okay.

I think the only way to resolve the problem is to speak to Sony, i.e that "server problem" is permanent for those registration details.

A reason why I really dislike this type of software protection, is when you get problems, no one wants to know or you can't get through to anyone to sort it out. Meanwhile people are downloading cracked copies and having no issues at all :(

Regards

Phil

David Rice June 3rd, 2011 03:41 PM

No one wanted to talk to me from Sony today on the phone, and I was holding on the purchase new software line thinking someone would pickup.... They must not want anyone's money either.

After I cool off, I'll try again Monday.

I have owned:

6, 7,. and 8, plus a copy of Movie Maker. Never had a problem before. What's weird is that 8.1 registers with no problems at all. So does Movie Maker, but 8.c is a no go.

I would use 8.1, but it has more bugs than a bed in a old hotel room.

Edward Troxel June 4th, 2011 07:59 AM

Movie Maker comes with Windows. Shall I assume you mean Vegas Movie Studio?

I agree about 8.1. Updating to 9.0 64-bit solved the problems I was having when trying to use 8.1. I really believe it's probably an issue of 8.0 being activated too many times and they just need to up your allowed activation count.

David Rice June 4th, 2011 10:44 AM

My 8.c is on two machines. One desk top and one laptop. The laptop is no longer in use. However, over the past three years, due to hard drive and other problems, I have had to re-install 8.c four times on my desk top. It's interesting that Sony will accept the same 8.c serial number that "I cannot register" on my computer for a upgrade to Pro 10.

Not being able to access my Sony Account, or even create a new one is frustrating. I haven't received a Newsletter or competitive upgrade offer in over a year. I see I missed the last one.

Being a person with very limited means, I guess I will just try to save a few bucks and hope I find out about a good discounted offer for Pro 10.

Mike Dulay June 4th, 2011 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Rice (Post 1655435)
I haven't received a Newsletter or competitive upgrade offer in over a year. I see I missed the last one.

I haven't received those for a while either and I have more than just Vegas from them. I did send a email to customer support maybe a month or so after Pro 10 came out asking about the offer and they sent me a URL for it. It's been some months but its still worth a try.

Edward Troxel June 5th, 2011 06:21 AM

David, if the past is any indication of how the future will work, whenever a new major version of Vegas comes out, a special upgrade price will be available for the first month or two. If you keep an eye on the forum here, you will know when that happens - even if you don't get the e-mail from Sony. There's always information presented here when new versions are released (even letter updates).

As for the 8.0c number being allowed to upgrade but not activate, that is certainly possible if the allowed number of activations has been reached. You simply need to contact Customer Service and they'll up the number of allowed activations for you.

David Rice June 5th, 2011 07:07 AM

"You simply need to contact Customer Service"

They sure don't make that easy.

Dave

Jeff Harper June 5th, 2011 10:04 AM

David, it is definitely too bad you're having trouble, for sure, and it is clear you're having problems with contacting Sony. But I want to say that I've contacted them for additional activations numerous times, and it was always pretty much a breeze. I'm sure I was on hold or something for awhile, don't remember, but they do get busy. You just have to do what you have to do, unfortunately.