DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Copy clip between projects - restrictions? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/496830-copy-clip-between-projects-restrictions.html)

Ian Stark June 6th, 2011 07:54 AM

Copy clip between projects - restrictions?

For a long time I have happily opened two instances of Vegas and copied clips between projects.

I'm trying to do just that now but the clips simply will not paste into the second project.

Are there any limitations or restrictions as to what can be copied between projects? In this case they are m2t files. Is there perhaps a memory limitation that determines the size of the clip that can be transferred?

Any advice welcomed to save me from going round the bend!

Edward Troxel June 6th, 2011 08:07 AM

Re: Copy clip between projects - restrictions?

I don't know of any limitations to copying between projects other than track level effects/envelopes/markers will not be copied over. Events on the timeline should work fine, though.

Ian Stark June 6th, 2011 08:14 AM

I thought as much. In fact, a few seconds ago I got a low memory warning. Restarting both instances of Vegas seemed to resolve the problem, at least for the time being.

What was weird ws that although the event wasn't pasting, the undo history showed 'undo paste event', so something was happening. It was when I tried to undo (to see what would happen) I got the low memory warning.

Thanks for taking the time to confirm Edward.

David Jimerson June 6th, 2011 09:39 AM

I never had a problem before Vegas 10. Since using Vegas 10, I've come across the "low memory" error several times. (Task Manager always disagrees.)

Willard Hill June 6th, 2011 10:41 AM

This is one of my favorite methods of editing and I have had problems with this when I was using 64bit and inadvertently opened another instance in 32 bit instead of 64bit. If I recall correctly another restriction is that you cannot do this between different versions of Vegas, such as trying to paste an event from V9 into V10.

Also if I use Boris Continuum 7 on a clip, and try to paste that clip into a second instance of Vegas, it will crash the 2nd instance of Vegas immediately upon pasting.

Ian Stark June 6th, 2011 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Willard Hill (Post 1656003)
If I recall correctly another restriction is that you cannot do this between different versions of Vegas, such as trying to paste an event from V9 into V10.

That's interesting. In fact I was using two instances of v10/64 but the project that I was copying FROM was a v9 project and had not at that point been saved as v10. Like I said, the problem went away when I closed and reopened both instances (having saved the FROM project as v10 when closing it down).

I wonder if that was my problem right there.