DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   the Vegas problems just something I've noticed (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/497051-vegas-problems-just-something-ive-noticed.html)

Roy Alexander June 12th, 2011 05:31 AM

the Vegas problems just something I've noticed

Hi All. I search this forum every day in case there is a question answered which I should take note of, and one thing I have noticed is that most of the problems discussed are related to Vegas Pro 10, whilst there are only a few associated with Vegas Movie studio 10 HD platinum. Does this mean that more people use the PRO version than VMS or does it mean that the Pro version has more problems than the VMS version. I have to admit that I use the VMS 10 HD and simply have had no trouble at all with the performance. Any problems I do have is just because I don't know how to operate everything and I am grateful to the many people who put me right on this forum. Long may it continue.

Don Bloom June 12th, 2011 05:39 AM

Re: the Vegas problems just something I've noticed

It's pretty much been this way since I've been using Vegas (version2) with the old Movie Studio version versus the "Pro" version.
I thinks it's because the "Pro" version has so many more features and abilities than the "non-pro" version which means there is a whole lot of extra coding involved and of course as we all know, one little mistake in the coding and you can have a whole lot of issues.I also think that a more people do use the "pro" version just based on the conversations that go on here but I could be wrong.
Honestly, if VMS works for you and you can accomplish everything you need to with that version then that's what you do. As they say, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Of course I still don't know who "they" are but most times 'they" are pretty smart!
O|O
\--/

Edward Troxel June 12th, 2011 06:17 AM

VMS is often behind Pro in many ways (although it does sometimes get features first such as built-in stabilization). VMS 11 was just released and added some features that were new to Vegas Pro 10 such as support for 3D, OpenFX plugins, new codec improvements, etc... So you should really compare VMS 10 to Vegas Pro 9 or compare VMS 11 to Vegas Pro 10.

I also wonder what percentage of Vegas users actually visit the forums. And then, what percentage of those are Pro users vs Movie Studio users? And even then, how many are using "Movie Studio Platinum Pro" so they THINK they are Pro users instead of Movie Studio users?

Leslie Wand June 12th, 2011 07:51 AM

i don't think there's that amount of 'curiosity' nor pushing of the envelope with vms that would warrant the average user visiting a forum.

that's not to disparage people using vms - but i would suspect the vast majority would be hobbyists rather than pro's.

as a 'pro' i regularly read the various forums and on occasions contribute what i can to the various discussions - at the same time i also freelance as a photographer, but as it's not my main income source i only occasionally scan the various nikon boards (usually for tech advice with something i can't get from the manual, or research new equipment, just as vms probably scan this one for a particular problem, read up about hardware, etc.,

many of my students use vms - it's not that complicated a program, and though quite capable of sophisticated editing, is rarely stressed even by the most adventurous of my students....

David Jimerson June 12th, 2011 09:38 AM

I think there's also a number of people who come to Vegas Pro from other, very different editing apps -- people moving up from things like Pinnacle Studio or Premiere Elements, and Vegas just does things very differently in many cases.

But yeah, I'd say that for the most part, people only post if they have problems. If you don't have a problem, you don't post -- so the number of posts about problems isn't necessarily indicative that something is better or worse.

Roy Alexander June 12th, 2011 12:55 PM

Leslie. You are right to say that the majority of users of VMS are hobbyist and so they would worldwide considerably outnumber the Pro's. However I am a Pro(now a semi) and have been for 60 years starting with film and now ending up with video. I still use Adobe Premiere CS4 as well as Vegas VMS 10 HD production suite. I find VMS to be more than adequate for my hobby work, and have also used it for clients videos.
Both Adobe Pro and Vegas pro are very good and they both offer applications that most pros and certainly all hobbyist will never want or use. That's why I settled for VMS because I didn't want to pay for complicated and sophisticated applications I did't need.
I digress, David you are probally correct when you say that hobbyist will only use the forum when they have trouble, and coupling your answer with the one from Leslie, I deduce that the hobbist with VMS have less trouble with the pro's and semi pro's who use Vegas Pro.

David Jimerson June 12th, 2011 01:50 PM

It may be. Part of the point I was trying to make, though, is that 1) many, maybe most, of the people asking questions about Vegas Pro are those who have bumped up to it from other, very different consumer-level apps, and there's a learning curve, and 2) it's difficult to draw any conclusions when all you hear about is the problems.

It's sort of like a help-line operator who spends his day hearing nothing but customer problems. He may conclude that the product is really, really bad because all these people are calling in with problems. But problems are all he's a position to hear, so it would be wrong to draw that conclusion.

Factor in that many problems come from the learning curve and not the product itself, and the impact is even less.