DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Render quality. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/497183-render-quality.html)

Dan Jones June 15th, 2011 12:31 AM

Render quality.

Hoping someone can help me.
I'm new to Vegas. Love the app - easy to use etc, but having a problem with output.

I've tried every preset in the "Render All" dialog, but even when I max out all the bitrates/quality settings I get horrible colour banding in my final rendered clips.

Even stalwarts like Animation codec at 100% (and Uncompressed) exhibit obvious compression / banding.
I should explain my workflow in case this is screwing up my render...

I started the project by importing low-res proxies to do my editing - worked smooth/easy. (480 x 270 mpegs)

Now that the editings done, I replaced each proxy-res clip in the project import window with its high quality 'online' version. (1920 x 1080 Animation codec - each one looks pristine/beautiful in the timeline - no artifacts)

So the project settings are now 1920 x 1080 and the timeline now has large HD clips that dont play in real time, but SHOULD create an equally pristing master?

What am I doing wrong?

Leslie Wand June 15th, 2011 01:38 AM

Re: Render quality.

why are you using proxies?

Dan Jones June 15th, 2011 02:33 AM

It's a HD project. When I originally imported the hd clips I got stuttery playback.
Impossible to edit.

So I exported a low res proxy of each clip with qt pro and the editing was smooth as silk.

I reasoned I could replace the proxies when the cutting was done, which worked fine but the render looks crap. Is my workflow wrong?

Leslie Wand June 15th, 2011 03:47 AM

a. what's your system specs?

b. where's your original footage coming from?

c. hd can put a real strain on old pc's, as can uncompressed conecs, and combined it can be a nightmare.

if you're trying to playback at full / best, unless you've got real grunt, forget it. i'm more than happy with preview / auto or best - i know what the final render will look like....

set your project to match your source. edit, then render out to what you want / need. never fails for me.

Dustin Moore June 15th, 2011 04:30 AM

Can you post a still showing the banding artifacts with before and after? Vegas produces very little banding usually. Have you checked your codec settings? It sounds like you are rendering to quicktime and it is most likely that thw codec bit depth (number of colors) is set wrong.

Dan Jones June 15th, 2011 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leslie Wand (Post 1658544)
a. what's your system specs?

b. where's your original footage coming from?

c. hd can put a real strain on old pc's, as can uncompressed conecs, and combined it can be a nightmare.

if you're trying to playback at full / best, unless you've got real grunt, forget it. i'm more than happy with preview / auto or best - i know what the final render will look like....

set your project to match your source. edit, then render out to what you want / need. never fails for me.

a. AMD Athlon 2212 2.0GHz, 8GB RAM, Win7 64bit

b Digital animation files - rendered from after effects (not live action footage from camera)

c.Yes - thats why exported proxies of everything to edit with.

Dan Jones June 15th, 2011 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dustin Moore (Post 1658549)
Can you post a still showing the banding artifacts with before and after? Vegas produces very little banding usually. Have you checked your codec settings? It sounds like you are rendering to quicktime and it is most likely that thw codec bit depth (number of colors) is set wrong.

hmmm - could be. I am seeing the banding in the source clips now you mention it.

Dustin Moore June 15th, 2011 07:25 AM

If you do not have to use Quicktime, I would recommend using a more conventional
intermediate codec such as cineform, lagarith, huffyuv in an AVI container. The codecs
in Quicktime for Windows in general are not very high quality or efficient compared to what
is available for regular workflows. If you need the final output to go to mac then convert to
quicktime as late in the game as posssible.

Dale Guthormsen June 15th, 2011 06:52 PM

Good evening,

I have an old slower 2.1 ghtz dual core and it runs cineform just fine, but I will use good level for editing.
So, Leslie and them arre pretty much right. I also can run straight mt2 files but not a long form project and I have to break it down into sections and then later nest them together.
I would not use proxies.

my newer computer, i7, runs everything as is.