DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   24p footage to SD dvd, help please (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/497533-24p-footage-sd-dvd-help-please.html)

Jeff Harper June 22nd, 2011 03:51 PM

24p footage to SD dvd, help please

Customer gave me 2 mins worth of video to create short video, piece of cake, right? No. Footage is 1080 24p, not in a wrapper, as far as I can tell.

It was shot with a Canon Powershot camera. Why do they give consumers these ridiculous options on a $200 camera? It should be outlawed. But I digress.

What do I do with it? It is a sports (diving) recruiting video, and the customer wants it to look perfect.

I cannot render to 1080p in WMV, won't happen, I get low memory errors, and the issue can not be my PC. I wanted to make a wmv file for her to put on a usb stick, but that's not happening. So I need to do something with this footage to get it on DVD and looking good.

I have HD link but there is no option to re-encode from 24 to 60i, that I can see.

Any thoughts?

Oh, and they are waiting for it as I write this.

Eric Olson June 22nd, 2011 05:45 PM

Re: 24p footage to SD dvd, help please

DVDs support 24p, but Vegas Studio does not. Are you using Studio?

Jeff Harper June 22nd, 2011 06:26 PM

I figured it out, Eric. It's simple, but I didn't know it. You just render 24p and it adds pulldown. Still can't figure why I can't render any wmv with 1080 footage, but it's not hugely important.

Jeff Harper June 22nd, 2011 06:45 PM

Wrong. It renders out wrong shape. never mind, I'll figure it out, what a pain.

Jeff Harper June 22nd, 2011 06:48 PM

Ok, now I've got it. Thanks for chiming in Eric.

David Jimerson June 22nd, 2011 08:19 PM

If you're not using Studio, then render out under MPEG-2 using the DVD Architect 24p DVD Widescreen template. Easy-peasy. Of course, you have to render the audio separately, but give it the same name and put it in the same folder and DVDA will mate it up automatically.

Jeff Harper June 22nd, 2011 09:27 PM

It's all good now, I had not handled 24p for DVD before, was in a panic. Didn't realize it was so simple. Knowing Vegas adds pulldown is really cool, I didn't know it did that.

David Jimerson June 22nd, 2011 10:07 PM

If you use the DVD Architect 24p DVD template, it doesn't add pulldown. It adds pulldown FLAGS, which are instructions to the DVD player as to how to add pulldown when it plays the DVD out to a standard TV. It's an actual 24p file with extra instructions, but there's no actual pulldown in the video.

If you rendered out to NTSC DVD, then it WOULD actually add pulldown, extra fields to pad the signal out to 60i.

Jeff Harper June 23rd, 2011 05:42 AM

Thanks for clarifying that David!