DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Titling Background Issues (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/497628-titling-background-issues.html)

Allen Campbell June 24th, 2011 10:55 AM

Titling Background Issues

Hi Guys, I used the search and help files but am somewhat dyslexic with it.

Simply put, I don't know if I need the Pro Type or just plain Text. I just want to add a caption with a transparent background. I cannot get out of a solid black background.

I guess I need some baby steps. I am using .avi & .wmv video clips in the timeline with no audio.

I used Text, I could drag my text to the bottom, adjust font, text color, but the background stays Black no matter what I do. I know it must be a simple sequence issue but I'm dumb to it.

Thanks

David Jimerson June 24th, 2011 11:31 AM

Re: Titling Background Issues

There are a number of text presets with transparent backgrounds. Start with one of those.

Otherwise, in the Background properties, change the A value to 0, or simply use the vertical slider to the left of the color sliders and drag it all the way to the bottom.

Edward Troxel June 24th, 2011 05:51 PM

Also, make sure you put the title on a track ABOVE the video track. If you put it on the same track as the video, you will REPLACE the video.

Allen Campbell June 24th, 2011 08:11 PM

Great,

The separate track did it but not without frustration until I stumbled onto having the text track as the top time line track.

Now where I am confused is when I need to go back and edit it. Say I had it too low or the font wrong. I cannot seem to get back to that.

Thanks

Leslie Wand June 25th, 2011 02:25 AM

allen, may i humbly suggest you rtfm....

and if you're not into manuals, just press F1 and low and behold, search 'change text' and you get your answer.

i'm not meaning to flame you, just point out that some answers are right at your fingertip

Allen Campbell June 25th, 2011 08:19 AM

Thanks,

No offense taken for sure, and I do read it but sometimes it will use terms I have difficulty with that I need to hunt down and it gets twisted for me.
So I look for jump starts here and eventually get rolling on my own from there.

Since my original post here and the jump start reply's given I have found googling under the "videos" category VERY helpful.Its kind of cheating the manual isn't it.

Dale Guthormsen June 25th, 2011 10:38 AM

Alan,

do not feel bad, I have a hard time with manuals and written instructions a lot of the time.

And, my first degree was in English Literature!!!

I personally find video tutorials and this site most useful!!

I do rtfm when I have no other options!!!

Mike Kujbida June 25th, 2011 11:10 AM

Real men don't read manuals!!
<insert huge grin<

Gerald Webb June 25th, 2011 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leslie Wand (Post 1661595)
allen, may i humbly suggest you rtfm....

Only as an absolute last resort when all other hope is lost, LOL.