DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Can Hear But Not See an .avi File. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/497695-can-hear-but-not-see-avi-file.html)

Allen Campbell June 26th, 2011 06:07 PM

Can Hear But Not See an .avi File.

Windows 7 x64 Vegas Pro10.0c 64bit

I put a large avi in the time line and it plays audio only. It's a 3.67 GB file. Windows media player plays it fine. Windows Live Movie Maker plays and allows work on it fine.

Other smaller avi files do fine in Vegas.

Whats up? I have reset all preferences opening while holding the Ctrl & Shift keys.

Edit, it says media off line.

Leslie Wand June 26th, 2011 07:45 PM

Re: Can Hear But Not See an .avi File.

have you dl'd wmp codec updates?

can you run it through gspot / mediainfo and give details?

where did it come from, ie. camera?

Edward Troxel June 26th, 2011 08:00 PM

AVI is like a paper sack. It can hold whatever you put into it. Obviously the file you're having problems with uses a different codec than the files you're not having problems with. Use the programs mentioned above to see what codec is used by that file.

Allen Campbell June 26th, 2011 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leslie Wand (Post 1661968)
have you dl'd wmp codec updates?

can you run it through gspot / mediainfo and give details?

where did it come from, ie. camera?

Thanks,

Update, I have updated to Pro 10.0d with no change.

OK, it is from a Chinese KeyFob spy camera. I have ran these files in Vegas before with no probs.
I guess now I should mention this is a fresh install from a complete machine refresh in Formatting and full re-installation of all ware.
I did not think it to matter until I just went to run files that worked in Vegas before the refresh are now off line. So they are camera specific.

Never heard of gspot / mediainfo but will google and get back soon. I did not have any problems before though. Ugh!

Allen Campbell June 26th, 2011 09:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the Gspot, Do I need to run the other?

Edward Troxel June 27th, 2011 08:17 AM

It says it's Motion JPEG and Vegas Pro 10.0d should be able to handle MJPEG fine. Did the camera come with a disc that you installed previously but not on this new install? You obviously had the necessary codec installed previously.

Allen Campbell June 28th, 2011 08:29 PM

I am at a loss. A bit of a rookie I don't understand it.

The MicroSD card is the same card used previously.

Here is the properties from Vegas,

General
Name: SUNP0001.AVI
Folder: E:\Videos (Full)\Montalvo
Type: Video for Windows
Size: 31.72 MB (32,478,136 bytes)
Created: Tuesday, June 28, 2011, 9:47:58 PM
Modified: Tuesday, June 28, 2011, 10:45:18 AM
Accessed: Tuesday, June 28, 2011, 9:47:58 PM
Attributes: Archive

Streams
Video: 00:00:20.665, 30.873 fps, 720x480x24, Sony Motion JPEG
Audio: 00:00:20.480, 22,050 Hz, 16 Bit, Mono, Uncompressed

ACID information
ACID chunk: no
Stretch chunk: no
Stretch list: no
Stretch info2: no
Beat markers: no
Detected beats: no

Other metadata
Regions/markers: no
Command markers: no

Media manager
Media tags: no

Plug-In
Name: aviplug.dll
Folder: C:\Program Files\Sony\Vegas Pro 10.0\FileIO Plug-Ins\aviplug
Format: Video for Windows
Version: Version 1.2 (Build 13099) 64-bit
Company: Sony Creative Software Inc.

Ken Hull June 29th, 2011 12:20 AM

Allen,

Just as a side note, you might want to download VLC, the free media player. It seems to play those AVI video files for which Windows Media Player only plays audio. Of course, this won't solve you problem, but it will verify that there IS video in the AVI file.
VideoLAN - Official page for VLC media player, the Open Source video framework!

Ken

Allen Campbell June 29th, 2011 05:26 AM

It is Vegas specific as everything else will play them. I have Googled it and the problem is common but the solution not.

Allen Campbell June 29th, 2011 06:41 AM

Well I am disappointed a program of this caliber would fall short on such a simple task. I went googling and fount the following text. Its a shame if I am going to have to use another FREE program to make a $700.00 program work

"You can run it through virtualdub and kick out the separate streams and
put them in vegas and it will do just fine."

I went into VDub and cannot fathom the kicking out of the additional streams, so if I can get a jumper from an experience hand here?

I did experiment with Create Sparse AVI and it made Vegas see it but with a quality hit.

Sigh!

Edward Troxel June 29th, 2011 06:49 AM

Allen, "AVI" is not a video format - it's just a "type of file". As you showed above, it appears the "video format" is really MJPEG. Now, Vegas Pro 10 DOES have an MJPEG reader but, it seems, for some reason it does not like that specific file. I would still consider installing a different MJPEG decoder and try it again. If you search for MJPEG you'll find a couple of options.

Now, why can other readers play it but Vegas can't? Vegas uses "Video for Windows" (VfW) codecs. If you don't have the appropriate VfW codec installed, Vegas won't see it. What about Media Player? It also uses "DirectX" codecs. So if you have a DirectX codec installed but do not have a VfW codec installed - that would explain the difference.

Allen Campbell June 29th, 2011 08:13 AM

Thank Edward, its beginning to make sense.

If I can push you for a safe link or place to grab them?

I searched out the codecs and they all seem to have spam ware, or something fishy about them. Lots of trap links leading you to believe you are getting codecs and they are really players or converters.

I go into Win7 Device manager to the Sound, video and game controllers and there is no Codecs listed like in XP. Is that the way for Win7 or is that my prob?

Thanks

Edward Troxel June 29th, 2011 08:44 AM

You need to search THIS site for MJPEG. Here's a couple:

Home: MainConcept

Morgan Multimedia - Home of the MM MJPEG video codec.

Allen Campbell July 2nd, 2011 07:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Its getting really frustrating being over my head.
I cannot afford Main concept and I installed the Morgan but it did not work.

It (Morgan) shows its running in my tray but Vegas is still not run the file correctly. I downloaded it and ran the install is all.
I look in the Vegas plugins folders and see no change. I was thinking I would see new codecs there.

I have been Googling my Butt off. I found many complains like mine and a success story how the 32bit .dll was swapped with the 64bit and it worked for lots of them but not I.

I have attached a sample file (I had to rename it to a .wmv to get it to upload so rename it to .avi)
from the DVR that will not work right. If I do an import/capture from my Panasonic GS500 it does fine. But from the covert keyfob DVR is my problem child.

Perhaps you guys can see if it will show the video in your version of Vegas and we can go from there?

thanks

Adam Stanislav July 2nd, 2011 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allen Campbell (Post 1663744)
Perhaps you guys can see if it will show the video in your version of Vegas and we can go from there?

For what it’s worth, it does not show the video in my 64-bit Vegas 10.d. Only the audio.

No problem getting the video (or the audio) in VLC. So, if nothing else works, I would use VLC to convert it to a different format.