Glitchy audio in Vegas via Parallels/Boot Camp on mac at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old July 2nd, 2011, 12:32 AM   #1
Slash Rules!

Glitchy audio in Vegas via Parallels/Boot Camp on mac

Not entirely sure this is the right place for this, but I can't think of where else I'd post.

I see some folks are reporting happily using Vegas on a mac through Parallels/Boot Camp/some other way that you can run Windows.

Well, I've apparently won a copy of the newest Vegas from a film festival one of my shorts was in, and I fear I won't be able to use it because last time I tried Vegas through Boot Camp/Parellels, I got these audio chirps in my timeline playback. It's completely random, different every time, but always there, and yes, it does make it into the renders/file exports! It sounds like when you're playing a corrupt video. . .you just get these little, very quick digital, low bit rate sounding "chirps", "beeps" and "boops" throughout audio playback.

EVERYTHING ELSE in Bootcamp is fine. . .files played through VLC, QT, whatever, but in Vegas I get the glitchy audio.

Long ago I downloaded drivers or something, and it worked for a while, then one day it was just magically "corrupt". I believe I downloaded and reinstalled whatever it was. Never figured out how to fix it.

Any ideas?
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2011, 04:15 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Glitchy audio in Vegas via Parallels/Boot Camp on mac

Is this a Mac Pro?
Old July 2nd, 2011, 04:24 AM   #3
Slash Rules!

Sorry, I should have given those details.

No. . .Imac '08 2.4 GHZ intel core duo 3GB RAM
Old July 2nd, 2011, 04:42 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I use Vegas 10d on a Mac Pro via Boot Camp and Win7 Pro 64 bit. When you're in the Windows side have you updated the drivers using the Boot Camp utility?
Old July 2nd, 2011, 04:54 AM   #5
Slash Rules!

Have not. . .Although I think I've mostly used it in Parallels instead of Boot Camp anyway, even though I know BC is more powerful/takes advantage of your entire system better.

Is that a simple process? When I think "update drivers" it generally makes me want to crawl into a corner and cry.
Old July 2nd, 2011, 05:12 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I've never used Parallels. In Boot Camp there should be a program in Start > All Programs > Boot Camp.
Let it update the drivers for Windows. Re-Boot the computer and Try Boot Camp update again to make sure everything is complete.
Old July 2nd, 2011, 05:37 AM   #7
Slash Rules!

Cool beans. I will try it. thanks.

Parallels is neat if you don't want leave your Mac OS but still play with windows and aren't doing something that requires a lot of power.
Old July 2nd, 2011, 06:32 AM   #8
Slash Rules!

Ok, so.

I still have, for realz, Windows XP on my boot camp. Vegas Pro 10 specs say it works on XP with SP3 (downloading that now).

However, I cannot find the drivers for Win XP. Download links on the apple page go to nonsense that has nothing to do with boot camp.

Is there some archive of old drivers I could find?
Old July 2nd, 2011, 08:30 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Start with Boot Camp 3.2 upgrade for Win 32 bit.
Boot Camp Software Update 3.2 for Windows 32 bit
Old July 2nd, 2011, 11:00 AM   #10
Regular Crew

After you installed Windows, did you put in the Apple Snow Leopard disc?
That is what updates drivers and installs some software.
I was wrong earlier, it's Start > All Programs > Apple Software update. Not *** > *** > Boot Camp
Old July 2nd, 2011, 02:39 PM   #11
Slash Rules!

I'm still on Leopard, by the way. I guess I should have mentioned that. Initially, yes, I believe I did use the CD to install the drivers(I messed with all this more than two year ago so forgive me).

As I said, it worked fine for a while and then one day was just "bad" out of nowhere, or so it seemed.
Old July 3rd, 2011, 04:04 AM   #12
Slash Rules!

Holy crap, gentlemen, I think I got it!

Here's what I did.

I'm way way behind on my windows, so downloaded SP3 for win XP, found the apple software update thing, downloaded BC 2.1, and I remembered it seemed like it had something to do with the realtek audio drivers (I haven't messed with this in two or three years), so downloaded their latest version for win xp.

Something in there or all of those seem to have nailed. I was confused and thinking I failed because I kept playing a file I had on the windows partition in Vegas and it kept being glitchy. . .and then I realized it was glitchy the exact same way every time. . .turns out it was the file! I had rendered it with bad audio 'cause I was going to use the video with some OTHER audio and the audio didn't matter. I've tried some other video clips and they play fine.

Hopefully it stays this way.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...