What Do They have (FCP X and CS 5.5 or Avid) That Vegas Doesn't And Can You Get It. - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old July 8th, 2011, 11:41 AM   #46
Trustee

Re: What Do They have (FCP X and CS 5.5 or Avid) That Vegas Doesn't And Can You Get I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Drysdale View Post
As a wild card, I'd add the new Lightworks to the list.
I agree Brian - it's very interesting as well as being extremely customisable.
Old July 9th, 2011, 12:13 AM   #47
Inner Circle

Re: What Do They have (FCP X and CS 5.5 or Avid) That Vegas Doesn't And Can You Get I

Hmmmm. While I love the open source concept, at first blush Lightworks looks like it has a pretty steep learning curve. Though I haven't explored in detail, it seems that the preview capability is week. Also, It only displays on one of my two screens.
Old July 9th, 2011, 02:06 AM   #48
Inner Circle

I haven't gone into Lightworks beta with any depth, but there appears to be a logic to everything. Although it currently doesn't ingest everything and there is also the commercial version. Also, you need to buy a license that allows you to ingest certain codecs.

Is There a Good Overall Tutorial here or on DVD for Beginners? - there's an intro video half way down.

From my quick play the editing was much more fun and I was making test edits very quickly. They've got a quick manual which gets you going. From what I could see, Lightworks wasn't that more complex than Vegas, just different. From what I gather from an editor friend it was originally designed for film editors, so if you've cut film (which I've done) you can see the parallels at work.

It really depends what you want to use it for, but I'd use it before Vegas for narrative drama or standard TV docs. Perhaps less so for a production that has multi source media. which Vegas seems to be strong at.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2011, 03:05 AM   #49
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald Webb View Post
Use Vegas 9.
Unless I'm mistaken export AAF was removed in 10. (please tell me i'm wrong if its hidden somewhere).
You are mistaken, and it isn't hidden. File-Save As, then select AAF or AVID AAF from the type-dropbox. It also supports in and export of EDL.
Frans Meijer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2011, 08:13 AM   #50
Jubal 28

Sony's version of EDL, but not a standard EDL. It's no good for cross-application use.
David Jimerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2011, 12:49 PM   #51
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frans Meijer View Post
You are mistaken, and it isn't hidden. File-Save As, then select AAF or AVID AAF from the type-dropbox. It also supports in and export of EDL.
***It's only available in 32bit.
Marc Salvatore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2011, 04:25 PM   #52
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Drysdale View Post
Re Lightworks: That link also got me to the user forum where a lot of issues and concerns are answered.... Re: Dual monitor set up, hit F12, and second monitor becomes your preview monitor, and looks real nice.

In the forum I also saw a bit of similar issues re: what the NLE should be---- a powerful open source pro editor, or one that morphs into another consumer NLE.....
Old July 9th, 2011, 05:00 PM   #53
Inner Circle

I guess that's the divide, the professional's requirements with the need to interface but a small market or a pretty much stand alone program for consumers with larger sales.

Lightworks has had an unfortunate past, so what becomes of it will be interesting. My editor friend was talking to one of the people involved in the early days and things could have gone in a totally different direction if the investment funding had worked out with Grass Valley. The control console was impressive and you could really spin through the material.

I found this recently uploaded demo of the console: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO0-0IVEYnM

Last edited by Brian Drysdale; July 10th, 2011 at 06:56 AM.
Old July 10th, 2011, 02:13 AM   #54
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frans Meijer View Post
Well aren't I a silly duffer. Cant remember the last time I opened 32 bit Vegas though, probably about the last time I saw, Save as AAF.
Why only in the 32 bit version?
Premiere can save AAF , and its 64bit.
Old July 11th, 2011, 07:44 AM   #55
Regular Crew

Well, it's rather strange that it supports AAF in 32 bit and not in 64 bit.

Are you allowed, license wise, to install both versions? And if so, can one exchange Vegas projects between the two?

It's in the hands of software companies, if they decide there's more money to be had by selling cheaper and simpler programs to a wider audience there is nothing we can do. That happened to FCP, Vegas was halfway there and others might follow FCP's lead ...

With Open Source you'd be less at the mercy of shareholders. You could help Lightworks (going open source) by beta-testing it - you'd only have (future) developers to deal with.
Frans Meijer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2011, 08:35 AM   #56
Sponsor: JET DV

Yes you can install both 32-bit and 64-bit and both versions can open the same projects. So just install the 32-bit version too, edit in 64-bit, load in 32-bit, and export.

NOTE: the LAST one you install will become the default when you double-click on the icon so most people prefer the install the 32-bit version first and the 64-bit version second.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2011, 08:40 AM   #57
Major Player

"Are you allowed, license wise, to install both versions? And if so, can one exchange Vegas projects between the two?"

Yes you are allowed to install both. 32bit and 64bit work fine together and the project can be opened in both. I believe you cannot copy and paste clips between them however.
Marc Salvatore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2011, 10:53 AM   #58
Inner Circle

On the Lightworks end... I tried a key last night on some old footage I had, and have to say it seems to work well. I still don't quite understand the method of pulling together a whole project yet, but I am halfway through a group of tutorials I found. They are not that great, but at least its an attempt to go though the process with Lightworks.
Old July 12th, 2011, 11:32 AM   #59
Inner Circle

I suspect the project organisation with Lightworks maybe rather like the way film editors worked. One method they used was to cut sequences or scenes and then join those together, rather than cutting everything as one continuous whole piece.
Old July 12th, 2011, 03:03 PM   #60
Inner Circle

Actually, Brian, that is way I do it, and I have no prior (prior to digital NLE's) experience with that type of editing.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...