What Do They have (FCP X and CS 5.5 or Avid) That Vegas Doesn't And Can You Get It. - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old July 21st, 2011, 01:25 PM   #91
Inner Circle

Re: What Do They have (FCP X and CS 5.5 or Avid) That Vegas Doesn't And Can You Get I

I think the difference would be between professionals working without collaboration and those who do. Although, not everyone is going to like Vegas for their projects and for others its ideal, it can just come down to the nature of the productions they work on.

I'd be careful about the term "commercial", it traditionally means advertisements in the UK & Ireland, which can have massive budgets.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2011, 01:55 PM   #92
Jubal 28

Re: What Do They have (FCP X and CS 5.5 or Avid) That Vegas Doesn't And Can You Get I

Chris, if you've never availed yourself of those things which you're eschewing -- which you say you haven't -- then how do you know what advantages they give you that you *ought* to miss? As I said, they all exist for reasons.

Now, I have found Vegas sufficient for quite a few things I've done, and I've squeezed things out of Vegas that people who have used it for years would insist it can't do. But I also know where it's actually not going to do what I need.

And a good exemplar threshold would be the difference between doing a local commercial for a mom and pop shop just happy to have an ad on the air, and taking on a large client for a regional or national campaign -- what a two-man crew and Vegas can do won't be enough to get what they'd expect. Its color correction isn't good enough. Its audio tools, though the best of any stand-alone NLE, aren't good enough. Its delivery capabilities aren't good enough. And its support for various professional formats, on the timeline, at input, and for output, isn't good enough. This is why you need to send the project to people with tools which ARE good enough. It isn't ego.

So, what are the "professional-level results" you referred to? The local commercial, or the regional or national campaign?

Plus, one person doing it all (referring to post here) is necessarily going to result in compromises -- there's no way it can't, not the least of which being in the time it takes to get something done.

Now, I never said anyone wasn't a professional. If you make a living at what you do, then you're a professional. But to say a two-man crew and one-man post can give you what other professionals use a whole host of specialized tools and people to do, and imply that they only say they need it because they're jealous -- sorry, but that's just wishful thinking. And believe me, there was a time when I thought so as well, when I thought it could all be done with spit, string, and moxie, but I've hit all the limits of that style of work and with Vegas, and there's just stuff it canNOT do. Stuff that matters.

(And getting back to Robert Rodriguez, what he produced as a one-man band was not what anyone actually saw when it was released. There was something like a million bucks in post-production cleanup done to El Mariachi before it ever saw the light of day. And Rodriguez never tried the one-man-band approach again, so he probably wouldn't disagree with me besides.)
David Jimerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2011, 03:14 PM   #93
Inner Circle

My reason for starting this thread was to determine if I needed to consider going back to Premiere by buying CS 5.5... especially with the package that is currently being offered to switch as well as FCP X reasonable pricing and, of course, Avid sitting out there. I am looking for answers as to what is missing for my particular one man show.

Now I feel I have a lot to learn about Vegas yet. But I do know when I hear detractors out there, they are saying that it can't do all kinds of things I know can be done because I have done them. As far as Premiere v. Vegas, I think they are damn close in terms of what they as basic editors do.

Others have pointed out that it is nice how Premiere works with other Adobe products, and that has to be conceded I suppose. I also know I want to learn more on the After Effects front, and that was my second reason for looking at the deal from Adobe. Motion tracking is one of those things that I have not done a lot of except in simplest terms, and I am pretty sure AE is great at that. But as I delve deeper and deeper into things available that have never been explained about Vegas, I wonder if with the right plug in, either existing now, or in the near future, whether or not we can have the same thing.

Again, underlying all of this is that as far as with the basic editing system... the GUI, I still like and feel more confortable with the Vegas product both in Video editing and sound handling. This is coming from someone who had been dedicated to Premeire Pro 2.0.

So qualifying my initial query, and conceding for those purposes that there is no real decent process for traditional collaberative effort, I guess the proper question should have been:

"What technical editing capabilitie are missing, that the others can provide ?"
Old July 21st, 2011, 05:34 PM   #94
Jubal 28

That was answered on the first page -- if you can get everything to the timeline, and not counting integration with a larger suite of programs, not much. Every NLE has its strengths and weaknesses; each has its own quirks and advantages; all are capable. It's a matter of preference and what's important to you.

About the possibility of motion tracking -- probably not. There's been tons of interest in it for years; if it were going to be done, it would have been done by now. Most likely the program architecture just doesn't allow for it.
Old July 21st, 2011, 08:14 PM   #95
Regular Crew

You do have motion tracking in Vegas with Boris BCC 7 and Boris RED 5
Robert St-Onge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2011, 08:52 PM   #96
Trustee

just to clarify (my pov):

when i write about 'professionals' i mean ANYONE who makes their living from video production - albeit wedding / event / corporate / tvc, music clip / whatever.

you can be (like i am) an independent producer (my main field is doco, but i'm a hooker like everyone else and do tvc's, corporates, whatever), or part of a production house (as i was) which employs any number of people doing any number of jobs).

for the purposes of the op's original question, my opinions are tied SOLELY to the fact that vegas is not in the least bit a professional 'collaborative' nle.
Old July 21st, 2011, 10:04 PM   #97
Jubal 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert St-Onge View Post
For a grand, sure. For that kind of scratch, it's AE without looking back.
Old July 22nd, 2011, 04:09 AM   #98
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
My reason for starting this thread was to determine if I needed to consider going back to Premiere by buying CS 5.5... especially with the package that is currently being offered to switch as well as FCP X reasonable pricing and, of course, Avid sitting out there. I am looking for answers as to what is missing for my particular one man show.
A friend of mine is an editor on UK television dramas and the most important things to him is to be able locate material quickly and speed of operation. It really depends on your workflow and how you like to work with the material.

If you're happy with how Vegas performs and does everything you need why change? However, if you think other programs will do a better job, perhaps you should do some trials, but remembering they may handle the same process in a different way, so there'll be a learning curve with new techniques and tricks.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2011, 04:14 AM   #99
Trustee

BCC7 is great and will prob grow into something wonderful in the future,
but,
as of now it just doesnt compare to AFX.
BCC in Vegas is clunky, slow and even though its better than it was, is still very crash happy when things get complicated and its just not a lot of fun to use,
AFX on the other hand is rock solid, even with 3 and 4 levels of Pre-composition and very complex projects. Add to that all you can do with expressions...... and the list goes on.
Even though BCC is integrated in Vegas, IMO AFX is still quicker to get things done.
As David said, if you are going to lash out, learn After Effects.
Old July 22nd, 2011, 06:05 AM   #100
Regular Crew

It doesn't compare to AFX, I admit, but it is a time saver having to work inside Vegas.

It was clunky at first, but will the latest updates (BCC and Vegas), I haven't add any problems with it and I use it on a regular basis, that is the 64-bit version. It also loads faster now.
Robert St-Onge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2011, 06:06 AM   #101
Trustee

an aside:

interesting that ae keeps cropping up as some sort of 'missing link' in vegas and / or somehow not having such options built into vegas somehow diminishes its value as a nle.

as a user of nearly every nle out there i don't recall ANY of them having ae abilities 'built-in', and that when required, such 'ae' fx would always be done in ae itself.

conversely, ae isn't adapted to any serious form of editing, such as doco / wedding / etc.,

finally, whenever i have the need for such fx that can only be created in ae, i usually go to an experienced ae editor - it's simply not worth my time and energy to learn such complex software to the degree i would require in order to create what i wanted. (i have owned ae for many years and have done some relatively minor fx work with it)

bcc7 is a relatively good (maturing) compromise (within vegas) - but it's by no means ae. then again, as i wrote, neither is ae an nle
Old July 22nd, 2011, 11:03 AM   #102
Inner Circle

Thanks all. My conclusion is I should probably take advantage of the special pricing on CS5.5, if for nothing else, than to get access to After Effects. I will probably continue to use Vegas for the majority of my editing, but since I already have extensive experience in PPro, I will have that to go to in collaberative situations.

The next rub will come when a new upgrade is annouced, and the pricing that may be involved there.

Thank you all for your input. Again I did not intend to be insulting to anyone out there and I thank you for your input.
Old July 22nd, 2011, 01:50 PM   #103
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert St-Onge View Post
How solid an implementation is it? I started getting in to AE and Nuke for that feature, but if I can stay in Vegas, that'd be better.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2011, 02:26 PM   #104
Wrangler

Chris, just a thought...if you really need only AE and just occasionally at that, it MIGHT be worth checking to see if getting a month subscription whenever when the need arises. In that case, if an upgrade occurs (estimating around April-ish next year with their new release schedule), you automatically are entitled to it.

If you go with traditional licensing, of course you don't HAVE to upgrade to a new version if your current installation is doing the job for you. But then again it is tough to resist trying out the new "toys" each time, eh?
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2011, 07:10 PM   #105
Inner Circle

Before any of you Vegas people elope with After Effects, I'll double down on Boris, it truly supercharges your capability. And if you must run off with another software, go with Nuke, it's the darling of Hollywood VFX houses and just a better software than AE.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...