No luck ripping DVD's into Vegas using AutoGk - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old February 19th, 2006, 03:42 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Stromblad

Any ideas on the ac3 for vegas? I don't want to convert to wav and loose the 5.1 surround sound. I don't want to go back to my old capture method either because that was pulling it in through rca stereo and destroying the 5 channels also. This isn't the case of a weird format of ac3 either, I tried several different formats. Also, ac3 isn't listed on the pulldown list of media choices so I know something is missing....it's not working in movie studio either.
The demo version of Vegas won't decode the AC3. Once you purchase it, it will do so
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2006, 03:49 PM   #17
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle
The demo version of Vegas won't decode the AC3. Once you purchase it, it will do so
Do you mean vegas video or vegas movie studio?

I have the full version of vegas video 6, but just downloaded the demo of vegas movie studio. Also, I patched 6.0d just now and it still doesn't pull in ac3 files, however, it does pull in the audio and video when I use a vob file (unseperated, direct stream copy). So that would work just as well....except as someone else mentioned it is out of sync...and not just by a few frames that I could bump over...the whole thing is skewed. I will try womble next to see if that handles it better.
Eric Stromblad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2006, 08:46 PM   #18
Sponsor: JET DV

Neither will open AC3 files. However, both will open AC3 audio embedding on a DVD (as you've discovered).
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2006, 09:37 PM   #19

As Edward mentioned, neither program will open *just* the AC3 file, both will open AC3 embedded in the VOB, but not a separate file. This was intentionally done to help keep Vegas from being a part of the workflow making it easier to pirate DVDs.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2006, 01:35 AM   #20
New Boot

two options

I've tried a million things and it seems I'm down to two options:

1-Continue trying to use some kind of converter to get my files into vegas video...
-dragging in VOBS bring the audio in with 2 channels and unsynched
-using virtual dub mod brings in even better picture (but with 5 channel audio that doesn't even work) and a 5 min. file is 7 gigs
-using virtual dub mod with direct show avs avisynth template (the only avisynth template that works) brings in a great picture with 2 channel audio that is out of sync and the 5 min. file is 8 gigs
-IM too dvd ripper 4 (demo version) was just as dissapointing: raw avi compression won't go into vegas and huffy looks very pixelated.
-also, several of those failed attempts have brought in video at 23 frames instead of 29.97....from no option that I checked off

Has anyone here ever been able to drag and drop or convert from the dvd rom and bring into vegas a 29.97 beautiful looking video and 5.1 channel audio as it originally was on the DVD - all nice and synced up?

2-Or I could abandon vegas for a little while and go the woomble way:

-Woomble does edit the vobs with 5.1 sound perfectly. The way it edits native dvd video really is innovative. However, when I export back to DVD (and I've tried every different method) it says that I'm exporting a 29.97 ntsc mpeg with 5.1 ac3 encoded sound. However, when I bring it in to DVD architect it reads the file as a 23 frame per second video with 2 channel audio file....wtf?

-before I spend any more time with those bugs, I have to decide if I'd want to edit with woomble in the first place. The quality is what I'm looking for but the interface is so bad I don't know if I can use it....It makes U-lead look like final cut pro. It's just aweful...I don't even think there is a way to seperate audio and video...let alone make L or J cuts. I couldn't even find a gap tool.

-as far as I know I have the new, full version and it is freeware.

Does anyone know another program like woomble that can treat those 4 gig DVD video files just like it was uncompressed video, yet has an interface thats at least a little less pathetic? I'd pay anything for that, right about now.
Eric Stromblad is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...