Sony Vegas Pro 10.0e - Core i7 Sandy Bridge - Not Enough Mem to Render? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old July 20th, 2011, 08:31 AM   #1
Major Player

Sony Vegas Pro 10.0e - Core i7 Sandy Bridge - Not Enough Mem to Render?

Hello all,

I just built (yesterday) a brand new Core i7 2600K Sandy Bridge desktop with 8gb of Corsair RAM (decent timing too I think) with an ASRock Extreme4 Z68 motherboard.

I was editing a project that I just completed on Sony Vegas Pro 10.0e (10 minute film) with many plugins and tracks (but not THAT many). In any case, when I go to render as .wmv 6.4mb 1080p 24fps, it renders 0-1% of the video and then gives me an error message saying I don't have enough memory resources and that closing other applications may help. I have virtually nothing else but the CORE background applications running on this brand new Core i7 build...and I think 8gb should be enough memory?

What gives? This memory problem was the reason I moved away from a Core i5 laptop which was giving me the same errors...

Please help? Thanks!
Zhong Cheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2011, 09:39 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Sony Vegas Pro 10.0e - Core i7 Sandy Bridge - Not Enough Mem to Render?

Hi,
Try that from the SCS knowledgebase:
Low memory errors in Vegas

Old July 20th, 2011, 09:51 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I went to 64 bit and 8 gig memeory on the machine and Window 7 to avoid this issue. Are you saying this is occuring in what kind of a set up ?

I have both 32 bit and 64bit on board, now, but I noticed, when I ran the 32 bit version, I ran into the issue still. Anyone else?
Old July 20th, 2011, 01:12 PM   #4
Sponsor: JET DV

Remember that 32-bit is still limited to 2 Gig...
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2011, 07:59 AM   #5
Regular Crew

You can extend the process address space if needed.

Do you get the same error when you render to another format/codec? It could as well be a problem/bug with the export-codec
Frans Meijer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2011, 09:34 AM   #6
Trustee

It may sound odd but try the following.

Under Options/Preferences set your Dynamic Ram to '0' and set your render threads to '1'. Make sure your project is totally finished before following the next step. Back in the 'Project Media' dock look for the little 'lightning bolt' icon that's top left in the dock tool bar. Clicking on this icon clears ALL UNUSED media from the project. Save project with an updated name (This way you can always go back to a previous VEG with all the media still in the project). Re-start PC. Now try rendering again and let us know what happens.

Chris
Sydney
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2011, 09:52 AM   #7

I, personally, don't recommend dropping the Dynamic RAM all the way down to zero. It can cause much slower renders in some cases. Usually a smaller number like 2 or 4 would be sufficient.
Old July 21st, 2011, 01:28 PM   #8
Trustee

I agree with Edward.
Adam Stanislav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2011, 02:47 PM   #9
Major Player

Thanks guys, these tips let me render, though super slowly. Kind of defeated the point of Core i7, but at least it rendered. I'm going to play with Dynamic Ram and render threads to see where I can max out at before getting low mem issue.

Also going to upgrade to 64-bit Sony Vegas and see if that helps.
Old July 21st, 2011, 04:56 PM   #10
Trustee

Edi have te same issue with my 32 bit xp....
What would be your best suggestion?
thx
Marcus Martell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2011, 01:45 AM   #11
Major Player

So I've tried these suggestions about Dynamic Ram and rendering streams, and it helped fix the issue sometimes. But for some other videos, even when the lowered Dynamic ram and rendering streams, no luck.

What else can I do? Still stuck on 32bit for now Sony Vegas because I'm using Magic Bullet Looks.
Old July 22nd, 2011, 02:56 AM   #12
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Troxel View Post
I, personally, don't recommend dropping the Dynamic RAM all the way down to zero. It can cause much slower renders in some cases. Usually a smaller number like 2 or 4 would be sufficient.
Ed I was always of that belief and you are correct.

The difference I now find on the i7's with rendering set to 'Best' on a 1920x1080 MXF file using 'smart rendering' where the timeline can there is so little difference. If I have to choose between memory stoppages or completing the render I will go with the '0' ram preview and the '1' thread setting every time and know that I will have no issues. Thankfully I don't have those issues but have suggested this to a few people who have and in 99% of cases it has fixed the problem over and over again.

Just to confirm my earlier experiences, and just to refresh my findings I have just run a render of a 60-minute timeline twice.

First pass was ram '350' [default] and '12' threads [default] and the timeline took 26.7 mins to finish.

Pass two ram '0' and threads '1' and the time line took 31.1 mins to finish.

In other words 4.4 minutes per hour difference, which in the greater scale of things IMHO, is way faster than having memory render issues and losing time trying to get renders out or doing them in pieces and trying to stich them together to get things finished.

I guess everyone’s experience can be different but I wouldn't dismiss this approach out of hand until its been tried. The proof is in the pudding!

Chris
Sydney

Edit:
With 32-bit Vegas this has proven its self more so than on 64-bit but it works across both versions.

Last edited by Christopher Young; July 22nd, 2011 at 03:00 AM. Reason: Additional info
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2011, 04:54 AM   #13
Major Player

The problem is, even with Dynamic Ram 0 and render stream 1, I still cannot complete my render. It keeps telling me that I have low memory...
Old July 22nd, 2011, 06:28 AM   #14

I mainly saw the issue when using still images. If you just drop a still on the timeline and did NOT add an panning, it will typically fly past that because it only has to "render" the first frame and the rest of the frames are identical. However, when I tested with RAM at 0, it ended up rendering every frame of the still separately making the process MUCH slower. Just upping it to 2 allowed the speed changes to return. So I'm sure it's totally based upon what's on the timeline but, since then, I've never dropped it all the way to zero.
Old July 22nd, 2011, 06:15 PM   #15
Major Player

I've also tried upping the Dynamic Ram to 2 and 4 with Render Stream at either 1 or 2. All combos lead to the mem issue.

I did find a solution that FINALLY worked though. As you know, 32-bit Vegas allows onlh 2gb of RAM, but I found a free application called CFF Explorer that allowed me to forcible make 32-bit Vegas use more than 2gb of RAM. This finally allowed me to render with no issues so far.

Here's the solution I found, the only one that has worked flawlessy so far. I was even able to bring my Dynamic Ram back to 350 and Render Streams to 4.

Solution: ‪How To Fix The "System Low on Memory" Error in Sony Vegas‬‏ - YouTube

One question I had though was how to make the Core i7 CPU utilize more power while rendering. It's only using about 15-25% (peaked for half a second to 80% max, then went back to around 20%) CPU usage. My 8gb ram is around 35-50% usage for the most part now during rendering. I'd like to get the CPU usage to close to 100% as I feel 15-25% is not taking advantage of Core i7. Thanks!
Zhong Cheung is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...