DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Vegas 7.0d won't capture my DV video (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/498874-vegas-7-0d-wont-capture-my-dv-video.html)

Ken Plotin July 25th, 2011 10:07 PM

Vegas 7.0d won't capture my DV video

Long time Vegas user. Went from V4 to V7.0d. I'm still using SD DV with my Pana 100A.
Never a problem capturing with V4 UNTIL: I installed V7. Now, when I capture with V4, the sound is garbled during capture, but OK on the captured video.
V7 won't capture at all, stopping almost immediately after clicking the capture button. (I have the preferences set to stop capture on dropped frames). Never had a dropped frame ..ever. But vidcap6 tells me I do!
Yes,I clicked on the correct button (DV) when launching the vidcap program. And V4 captures the same material OK with no dropped frames.

I'd like to use V7 for all my DV projects till I upgrade to HD, but this capture deal has stumped me.
Any help greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Ken

Steve Game July 26th, 2011 01:48 AM

Re: Vegas 7.0d won't capture my DV video

Vegas 7 would probably make more demands on your PC than version 4. Can you give us some details of your machine, e.g. Processor/speed, RAM, HDD types?

Steve

Leslie Wand July 26th, 2011 02:35 AM

why stop on dropped frame?

before that thought - what's your system specs?

David Jimerson July 26th, 2011 10:57 AM

If the version of VidCap which comes up with Vegas 4 captures properly, you can still use all those captured files in Vegas 7. Heck, you can capture with Windows Movie Maker and still use them all.

Remember, though, that VidCap is a separate program. It's not a part of Vegas.

Ken Plotin July 26th, 2011 10:57 AM

I'm on an old P4 machine with 2 gigs of Ram, XP SP2, plenty of drives(and space). I can edit just fine with V7...seems to render a bit faster than V4 and is just as stable. It's only the capture part that's giving me trouble.
I tried the trial of 8.0c a while back, and it captured DV just fine. Is the 6.0 version of vidcap really that different?
And...why would installing V7 cause audio glitches in V4 when capturing?
I know Vegas is famous for peaceful co-existence between versions, but I'm suspecting some kind of conflict between the vidcap versions.

Leslie: I tried checking and un-checking "stop on dropped frames". I can capture a bit with it unchecked, but the resulting file has 300+ dropped frames and plays back with the expected "blackouts" and is unusable.
Has anyone experienced this specific problem before?
Thanks, as always for your help.
Ken

Ken Plotin July 26th, 2011 11:24 AM

Thanks,David. Yes, I can point V7 to the vidcap part of V4 and it will capture,albeit with the garbled audio during capture.

Also, I turned off "stop on dropped frames" AND "DV device control" in vidcap6, and can capture by manually starting and stopping my source deck (Sony DSR-30) without dropped frames. No on screen device control, of course.
Now, if I just get it all to work together...
Ken

Ken Plotin July 26th, 2011 11:31 AM

Oops...spoke too soon. Unchecking device control and dropped frames does not work (i was in vidcap4 when I tried that). Probably getting too flustered.
ken

David Jimerson July 26th, 2011 01:01 PM

What I'm saying is that if you have no problem, for whatever reason, capturing video using Vegas 4, you can capture and then use the files in Vegas 7.

It's not ideal, obviously, but it will at least get you editing.

Ken Plotin July 26th, 2011 03:29 PM

Thanks David,
Yep, that's what I'm doing. Pointed V7 to the V4 vidcap application (opens even when Vegas7 is open) and am capturing with that method.
I have discovered, however, that if I disable vidcap6 (re-name), I can capture in vidcap4 WITHOUT the audio breakup problem on capture. Seems that there is definitely some kind of conflict between the applications.

Thanks again for your help.
Ken

David Jimerson July 26th, 2011 03:51 PM

Then that was probably the problem. However, I meant using Vegas 4, not even opening Vegas 7 at all -- not pointing Vegas 7 to the old Vidcap. You do not need to have Vegas 7 open to capture video that you can use with it.

Ken Plotin July 26th, 2011 11:14 PM

Sorry, I wasn't clear. Yes, I use it sometimes as a standalone. But often when I start a new project, I'll capture with Vegas open...old habit I guess. At least it works now.
Ken