Sony Vegas MSHD (Plat) and JVC GY500 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old July 30th, 2011, 04:56 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Sony Vegas MSHD (Plat) and JVC GY500

I have had my JVC for more than a year now. JVC Canada did an enormous favor and repaired the tape transport for me in February and March this year, and I have shot some footage, getting to know the camera. I am distinctly delighted with this camera... yeah, I know it's old technology but it's really good old technology!
I bought Vegas MSHDPlat v.10, but I haven't opened it yet. if I can't use it, and open it, I will have a very expensive (to me) ashtray, if I still smoked. (I have promised my wife never to smoke anything legal again.)
My (probably really dumb) question is this -
Is the JVC Mini-DV format accessible to the Vegas?
FYI, Vegas says that it captures DV, HDV, AVCHD, MP4 and DVD camcorders. The JVC Specifications say that it records DV. But the camera was built in 2000, and Sony is referring to the Vegas programs coming on line approximately in 2004 and so forth.
Be gentle, please. I am a Luddite who is struggling to change.
Thanks...
Roy
Roy Sallows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2011, 05:04 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Sony Vegas MSHD (Plat) and JVC GY500

Roy, there should be no problem at all capturing and editing the DV footage. I used to have a JVC5000U which was the next model after the 500 and you're right, it was and is a great camera and producing a great image. Old technology? Yep, good stuff? Yep and Vegas, pretty much any flavor will accept the DV footage gladly.
Have fun!
Old July 30th, 2011, 09:38 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I had a pair of those cameras at work that just got retired this year with the purchase of the new 750s (HD 16:9 at long last).
The old JVCs were real workhorses and never let me down.
Because they had 1/2" chips, they were much better in low light situations than the new ones which are only 1/3"models.
We were fortunate in that we bought Canon 20:1 lenses for the old JVCs as the stock lens wasn't that good.
My workplace has a pair of the JVC miniDV/SVHS combo decks that we used to firewire the footage into Vegas.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2011, 08:32 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Don, Mike...

Thanks. I mean that. I'd write more, but I've got to open the box, and install Vegas on my computer! It's astounding what a little good (great) news can do for a lagging spirit! We ever meet up, first two beer are on me!

Roy
Roy Sallows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2011, 06:24 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Roy, I'm always glad to give a fellow Canadian some encouragement :)
It's a great camera and I know you're going to like it.
You can use any miniDV camcorder (even a cheap one) for capturing purposes so that you don't wear out the transport and firewire connector on the big JVC.
If you ever have any questions about it, let me know.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2011, 04:57 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks, Mike. As a writer turned producer / director / narrator / editor / composer / camop / sound and whatever else needs doing, I greatly appreciate the offer. Life is a party, isn't it?
Roy Sallows is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...