DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   DVDA is stupid, someone save me please (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/499550-dvda-stupid-someone-save-me-please.html)

Jeff Harper August 13th, 2011 10:01 AM

DVDA is stupid, someone save me please

Bluray project. Total size of media is 21GB. It was fine, till I re-rendered an ac3 file, now DVDA is showing 25GB as disc space used. AC3 file is exactly same size as before, and I deleted prior version.

I can't burn because DVDA is misreading media size. what to do? I have a customer waiting, and this kind of thing is not very explainable. I have a wedding today and cann't spend all day on this stupidity.

Oh, yes, and to make it even more fun, it suddenly wants to recompress the audio for all audio tracks, which it didn't need to do before. I think it's a glitch, but it really is a dumb one. I've deleted all the audio from the project and am re-rendering it just to see what happnes.

Any ideas would be appreciated

I may have to re-create the menu, but after the time spend on it would be most unfortunate, and there's no guarantee it would work.

Jeff Harper August 13th, 2011 10:26 AM

Re: DVDA is stupid, someone save me please

I did what I said I would do, removed the audio from the project, rendered at the exact same settings as before, and now it's good again. Go figure.

Mike Kujbida August 13th, 2011 10:35 AM

Jeff, DVDA has a long history of incorrectly reporting file sizes.
I know that my sizes are always under the limit when I make DVDs so when it gives me that warning, I ignore it, tell it to go ahead and it finishes preparing it for me.
I'd expect it to throw a "hissy fit" and crash so the fact that it acts like nothing happened tells me that something is wrong in the underlying code.
I've asked Sony why this happens and they've never given me a definitive answer.

Nicholas de Kock August 13th, 2011 11:49 AM

Jeff move to Adobe Encore someday, I've never looked back to DVDA.

Jeff Harper August 13th, 2011 12:27 PM

Mike, I've seen this over and over in theads, but this is my first experience with it being so off. when it has been over in the past I couldn't get it to burn, I seem to recall, but I might be mistaken.

Nicholas, I've been threatening to do that for a long time.

Edward Troxel August 13th, 2011 01:05 PM

If I know the size is right, I'll tell it to go ahead and prepare ignoring the warnings. Once it's prepare, I then have it burn. This is with SD footage, not BluRay, though.

Graham Bernard August 13th, 2011 11:20 PM

Being confused and irritated with the reporting process in DVDA, I seem to remember setting / forcing the default 4.7gb to something like 6gb! That kinda stopped it from "talking in church"! What it DID do was to allow me to get a burn outta DVDA.

I put up with this behaviour - and the report to wish to re-encode - 'cos I like the general intuitive feel of DVDA. And yes, the reporting thing is just plain naughty. I'm guessing SCS needs to make provision for the more outlandish and memory-rich exigencies creatives can come up with, and the more enthusiastic menu / graphics creations that we can do in DVDA. I'm guessing that for SCS to make a more accurate auditing program isn't within the financial firmament of the company? That and not enough people, me included, have not complained enough or verciforously about needing to have a better "check-out" reporting system. Maybe if we are quiet enough, we'll just go away?!? Lol!

Cheers

Grazie