DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   After effects 5.5 and Vegas pro 32 bit (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/499652-after-effects-5-5-vegas-pro-32-bit.html)

Federico Perale August 16th, 2011 06:50 AM

After effects 5.5 and Vegas pro 32 bit

I use Vegas pro 10 32 bit, even though my laptop is 64 bit.

I am thinking of buying AE 5.5: I know it requires a 64 bit computer, but will I then be able to import/export projects from my 32 bit Vegas, or will I also be required to upgrade to a 64 bit Vegas?
or will I just need to buy AE 4?

thanks
Fed

Edward Troxel August 16th, 2011 08:43 AM

Re: After effects 5.5 and Vegas pro 32 bit

Vegas Pro 10 32-bit will run fine on a 64-bit machine. Vegas Pro 10 64-bit will also run there as well. Why not just install both? You can have both 32-bit and 64-bit versions installed and both will open the same projects. The only disadvantage to the 64-bit version of Vegas is if you have any plugins that are 32-bit only. Otherwise, I think you'll be happy with the 64-bit version of Vegas. When you bought Vegas, you purchased the rights to install either or both versions.

Federico Perale August 16th, 2011 08:53 AM

yes but I use Magic Looks that's why I use the 32 bit version.

to my original question: will I be able to use AE5.5 with Vegas 32 bit?

Edward Troxel August 16th, 2011 10:11 AM

Yes you will.

Gerald Webb August 17th, 2011 01:50 AM

I'm guessing the OP isnt talking about AAF project file transfer between Vegas and AFX,
But here is a heads up anyway,
Previously you could transfer an AAF file from Vegas (32 bit only) and open the project in After Effects.
Not any more,
As of CS5, After Effects no longer supports AAF file import.
You just get an error saying that After Effects cant read the file.
But there is a work around,
If you have Premiere Pro installed you can import your AAF in that, save as Premiere Pro project, then open a Premiere Pro sequence in After Effects.
Ha, more fun and games.

Federico Perale August 17th, 2011 02:57 AM

yes actually I am referring to transferring project files between one program and the other.
if I, for instance, create an animated intro on After Effects 5 or 5.5, can I then move it to the project I am preparing on Vegas 10 32 bit?

I guess the sense of my question is what is the interoperability (and workflow) between AE 64 bit and Vegas 32 bit, and if there is any difference if I used Vegas 64 bit

should I just render the portion of clip I need to quicktime, then move to AE, add effects and then re-render and move to Vegas?

thanks

Gerald Webb August 17th, 2011 03:42 AM

You can render it out to any visually loss-less codec of your choice and then import it into Vegas 32 or 64,
but there is no way I know of to open an AFX Comp in Vegas, they are 2 totally different programs.

Even with the AAF transfer it is only for simple cuts, all FX are lost.

Edward Troxel August 17th, 2011 08:04 AM

I was just talking about passing files between the two - not projects.

If you want AE-like abilities that will plug directly into Vegas, you might want to take a look at Boris Red.

Marc Salvatore August 18th, 2011 04:21 AM

Beware of using Cineform with Vegas and AE. There is a bug in the way Vegas renders Cineform which causes black levels to jump about 7.5 IRE when you bring the footage into AE. Cineform says it's a Sony problem so it will probably not get fixed anytime soon. The one workable solution with Cineform is to smart render out of Vegas. As long as Vegas does not recompress the footage will come into AE ok and can be rendered out of AE and brought back into Vegas without black level problems. A real pain though and limits the usefulness of the Cineform Codec.

Marc