DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   FCP's .xml/.edl -> VP .txt EDL? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/499858-fcps-xml-edl-vp-txt-edl.html)

Piotr Wozniacki August 22nd, 2011 04:15 AM

FCP's .xml/.edl -> VP .txt EDL?

Hi guys,

Have anyone heard of a utility to convert FCP .xml or .edl binary files, to text edl files VP10 would open, and interpret correctly?

This is probably a lame question, as I guess were it so easy I'd already know something like this exists - but am asking, anyway.

The reason is someone asked me to complete projects that consist of:

- source files
- .fcp project file
-. xml / .edl Editing Decisions Lists

Of course I can start from scratch in Vegas, but it'd be nice to see the preliminary cuts done by the originator; these are multi-camera music film projects and the person who handed them over to me says the first cuts were done following instructions from a person knowing the musical pieces recorded (so, takes are already chosen of e.g. cello sections when it's about to come in, or a soloist when he takes over, etc.).

TIA for any help

Piotr

Leslie Wand August 22nd, 2011 04:20 AM

Re: FCP's .xml/.edl -> VP .txt EDL?

afaik there's nothing - my one consistent and loud complaint is vegas's absolute lack of tc tools. all i want is a humble cmx i/o.....

Piotr Wozniacki August 22nd, 2011 04:29 AM

Thanks Leslie.

So I thought. Hmm... perhaps I should have posted it on the FCP forum? I'll try, after rewording it a little (hope the Moderator won't mind).

Piotr

Sean Seah August 26th, 2011 10:05 AM

i think this is one of the reasons why Vegas isnt popular with the pros. You just cant mvoe proj files to other platforms or vice versa. FCPX just joined us thou!

David Jimerson August 27th, 2011 12:08 PM

It's not like it would be a difficult thing to implement.

Leslie Wand August 27th, 2011 04:30 PM

david, i'm sure it wouldn't - unfortunately it's been being asked for of scs since the dawn of time (or at least version 4 on my part ;-))

David Jimerson August 27th, 2011 04:33 PM

I know. I've been asking for it, too.

Michael Rooney October 11th, 2011 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki (Post 1676657)
Hi guys,

Have anyone heard of a utility to convert FCP .xml or .edl binary files, to text edl files VP10 would open, and interpret correctly?

This is probably a lame question, as I guess were it so easy I'd already know something like this exists - but am asking, anyway.

Piotr,

If you send me your FCP XML (no audio or video) I will convert it to either a Vegas txt or Vegas xml for you and hopefully that gets you someway down the track.