DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   I hate vegas! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/500155-i-hate-vegas.html)

Nicholas de Kock August 30th, 2011 02:10 PM

Vegas won't open!?

I'm so frustrated with Sony Vegas Pro! I'm editing today and the next thing Vegas crashes and won't open again. I've tried everything! I uninstalled, deleted the user files, cleaned out my registry but it won't load! I can't submit a support ticket with Sony because their website won't allow me to register and has been doing this for over three weeks! Why won't Vegas load?

Edward Troxel August 30th, 2011 02:30 PM

Re: I hate vegas!

Nicholas, you've made many posts here with Vegas loading just fine. If it quit loading, the first thing I would do is ask some questions - first of which is "what changed"?

Do you have it set to autoload the last project? If yes, MOVE that project so it can't find it.

Did you install anything (even a Microsoft update)?

Have you tried doing a system restore back to when it DID work properly?

If you can't access Sony's support site, did you try calling customer service?

Nicholas de Kock August 30th, 2011 02:43 PM

I'm so stressed Edward I'm shaking, I know I have to keep calm and find the problem. Nothing changed on my system and I did all of the above minus calling Sony which is not really possible for me as I'm in South Africa I have however emailed them about their website problem a while back and got a response from them saying its working again but then I still get the same error when I try to register.

I just re-installed and cleaned out my users data and registry again, losing all my presets and customized setting however this time I clicked run as trail and now it loads. I'm guessing my license is causing the issue but I got the serial right in front of me in my Vegas case. I don't get why it's doing this right now worked fine then the one minute it stops working, so stressed with work can't afford to lose this time, luckily got the trail going now, but I have no way to contact Sony until they fix their website.

Chris Harding August 30th, 2011 06:40 PM

Hey Nicolas

When you are stressed and fuming you can quite easily miss the simple things. I just walk away and leave it for a while then come back with a fresh mind....!! Now being practical are you using 64 bit??? If so you can also install the 32 bit version on the same machine with the same serial data. What I have is my old version 9 lurking quietly on my old DuoCore machine as a backup!!

Also remember it CAN be a Win error too...I cursed and blamed Vegas for refusing to load a project with a kernal error and found it was the codec crashing due to a bad piece of video.

I assume you have done a check (and new install if needed) of Windows???? You will get it right!! Never fear!!

Chris

Edward Troxel August 31st, 2011 06:27 AM

I would go ahead and attempt to register again now. However, I would choose the "activate from another machine" option. This will let you finish the activation process using a web browser which will often work when the automatic process does not.

Buba Kastorski August 31st, 2011 08:27 AM

I hate it too,
but I hate PP, FCP and Edius even more :)

Mike Calla August 31st, 2011 09:27 AM

Haven't logged on here in a while, but felt i needed to speak up!

Get a ghost people! That's right. Make a ghost of your OS drive.

To begin: fresh install windows, install all your programs, run the computer for a week to make sure everything is running fine, then make a ghost of your OS drive (or any other drive, folder, or file).
If you make a major change to your OS, run your ghost, install the new program/hardware, run the computer for a few days then make a new ghost, you can keep your old ghost to revert back to if needed.

If any thing goes wrong, you just load up your ghost. takes less than 10 minutes!

Started doing it a year ago, i have five computers and this has saved me so much time that i can't even begin to tell how happy i was the first time i recovered an OS!!!!!!!!!!!!

If there is a problem with a program, it'll be fixed, corrupt DLL - fixed, virus - fixed.

If its a hardware issue then it will show itself again.

Just the other day, i installed a program which had a bad install, left my Outlook in non working state... ten minutes later i was up and running again.

Computers WILL always have problems! Protect yourself!!

Magnus Helander August 31st, 2011 11:11 AM

I use the Acronis True Image to save a working & fresh state with all installs and registrations.
Complete hard disk drive copy, cloning and image backup software: computer files and disk copying

It's a great recovery and backup solution.
The crazy thing is that if you buy Seagate Black Armor NAS they bundle 5 licenses of Acronis True Image
BlackArmor NAS 110 Network Backup | Seagate

Win7 has image restore built-in (maybe not all editions..) - that should work as well.

Nicholas de Kock August 31st, 2011 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buba Kastorski (Post 1678871)
I hate it too,
but I hate PP, FCP and Edius even more :)

Hahaha, I couldn't agree more Buba that's how I feel.

I use Acronis True Image myself it was the first thing I did when Vegas stopped working, loaded up a clean install of my OS but for some reason my clean install wouldn't boot so that bummed me out, this after I was bragging to my wife how easily I will restore my PC with my clean back-up in only 10 minutes, she found it very amusing when I was still struggling 3 hours later. Running Vegas as trail now, I'm still getting an error from Sony's website after I input my password and two question I just get an error 500 & I've tried different browsers at least I can get my work done for now.

Mervin Langley August 31st, 2011 07:16 PM

I have had Vegas 10 for nearly a year and I still can't use it, does not work well with Cineform. I keep hoping they will fix it but I'm still having to use Vegas 9e.

Nicholas de Kock September 1st, 2011 01:05 AM

Same problem with Cineform on my side Mervin, I've even started a thread about it at the Cineform forum but no quick fix. I only render to Cineform now and stopped transcoding my raw footage, Vegas 10 does a good job with native DSLR video but I would like to have my Cineform back.

Danny Fye September 3rd, 2011 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Calla (Post 1678887)
Haven't logged on here in a while, but felt i needed to speak up!

Get a ghost people! That's right. Make a ghost of your OS drive.

Actually, it is get a clone. I always have at least two clones of my boot drive. And that has saved me a number of times from bad whatever’s.

I use Casper. They call it that to make fun of Norton ghost. So it is Casper the friendly ghost. LOL.

Can be found at:

Welcome to Future Systems Solutions

I hope it is ok to post that link here.

Anyway, while the drive image software’s may work fine, one has to wait some time to get back to normal.

The top of my LARGE case has an 8" fan and my boot drive sits on top of the case with that fan blowing on it. I use an external USB 3 rig to back-up to my clone drives. Casper will make 'smart' backups saving only the changes so the whole clone process once the first one has been done will be approx 6 minutes.

So when something goes wrong, I shut down, swap boot drives, boot up and back in business.

No time wasted on loading images or anything else.

One should NEVER have less than two backup boot drives!!!

Danny Fye
dannyfye Video - Music Productions