Automate marker placement in VMS10? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old September 8th, 2011, 06:00 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Automate marker placement in VMS10?

I am using VMS 10 to make the rare audio CD since I find it quite good for doing so. But my audio is an hour long lecture and I would simply like to add marker/chapter points every 5 minutes. Studio versions have no automation tools and the VMS Help gives no clue whether this is possible.
Old September 8th, 2011, 09:45 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Automate marker placement in VMS10?

Edward T is the expert, but I highly doubt the studio version, or even the pro version does automatic placement of markers.

If you can do it in the Pro versions of Vegas it would be using a script. Studio versions do not support scripting, i don't believe. For the full (Pro) version of Vegas, the famous Excalibur plug-in might have such a feature; it automates many other tasks.
Old September 8th, 2011, 10:58 PM   #3
Jubal 28

Pro automatically inserts markers for CD. I believe it has since the very beginning. Definitely has since 4, anyway.

No idea if the Movie Studio versions do.

EDIT: Oh, misread the initial post; not quite the same question. Mea culpa.
David Jimerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2011, 06:18 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Yes, Excalibur certainly does do this (with numerous options) - but that's only in Vegas Pro I'm afraid. (Timeline/Create Markers).
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2011, 09:58 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Scripting in Vegas Pro is the ticket for needs like this.

However... there are some keyboard shortcuts that will make the manual task less tedious, and I think these work with Studio as well as Pro.

Try this:
Ctrl-G + 5.00.00 <enter>
(be sure to actually use the plus key on the keyboard! You're telling Vegas "5 minutes ahead of the current cursor position". Minus key moves you back, no modifier moves you to 5min. on the TL)

This will move your cursor precisely 5 minutes ahead of it's current position. You can now hit M to drop a marker, or:

Shft-Ctrl-Left Arrow

Now a 5 minute range is selected, and you can hit N to drop a CD track marker.

edit: oops, that last step only works right if you'd previously dropped a track or other marker. It selects a range back to the previous marker, not a 5 minute range. Try it - it will make more sense when you do it!
Old September 11th, 2011, 10:19 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Excellent! The Control-G shortcut key works as you say. Saves a lot of time - and seems so much easier than audio editors I've used.

So, I added unnamed markers every 5 minutes. However, after burning an audio CD from the timeline I am mystified why my disk players don't allow me to skip from marker to marker. It has been quite a while since I did this previously but I swear that VMS gave me an audio CD with working markers.
Old September 11th, 2011, 10:39 PM   #7
Regular Crew

OK, found the proper shortcut. I was trying to put video markers into my audio. Trouble is, VMS was fat, dumb and happy to do so! I needed to use the N key rather than the M key.

Blessings and much thanks,

-=Ken=-
Old September 11th, 2011, 11:26 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Glad this worked out - sorry for the misdirection on the "M" key.

For other thread readers, the most common marker types:
M = marker
N = CD Audio track
R = Region

Vegas' audio CD is not strictly red-book specification compliant, but modern players are tolerant of this.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...