Managing lengthy timelines and moving sections around - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old September 15th, 2011, 01:52 AM   #16
Trustee

Re: Managing lengthy timelines and moving sections around

welcome to doco land ;-)

bins are the go. unfortunately i only tried media manager a couple of times before i realised i didn't have enough hair left to persist any longer ;-( shame, because (in theory) a 'media manager' would be the way to go - this is one of the reasons avid is considered so highly in the broadcast world - it's media management is pretty damn good. vegas's is, well.....

i usually get all my material in and bin it. then save the project as veg 1, 2, 3, etc.,
that means i have access to all the material for each 'section' of my video.
i've used nested veggies, but generally simply cut and paste near final tl's to a new project (using a binned veg in case i need to make changes) from where i do final finecut, cc'ing, fx and titling.

i usually DON'T do any audio work until the final cut is approved.
Old September 15th, 2011, 05:38 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald Webb View Post
Re nesting,
You have a nested comp on the timeline, You decide that one of your takes/cams in that nested project needs a bit of zoom, so, you open up the original Veg in another instance of Vegas and make changes, Then change back to your nested comp, this is where it goes south, the changes should be there shouldnt they?
As I understand it, if you make change to the nested project, it needs to be closed in the "master" project, then when you re-open the master project, it re-reads the nested one.

So, you don't need to rename and reload, just close the master project, edit the nested one, then reload the master. I don't think Vegas is constantly refreshing the nested projects in case they're changed (like you suggest Premiere does)

Cheers
Dave
David Johns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2011, 06:20 AM   #18
Sponsor: JET DV

By default, Vegas is set to "close media" when it does not have the focus. If you open the nested VEG file in another instance of Vegas, make changes to the VEG file, and then SAVE it, when you return to the first instance of Vegas, it should get the updated version automatically.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2011, 11:28 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Troxel View Post
By default, Vegas is set to "close media" when it does not have the focus. If you open the nested VEG file in another instance of Vegas, make changes to the VEG file, and then SAVE it, when you return to the first instance of Vegas, it should get the updated version automatically.
Mea culpa! I stand corrected. I think there's an Options box that disables that? Perhaps I ticked it once upon a time for some reason...

Dave
David Johns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2011, 03:59 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johns View Post
Mea culpa! I stand corrected. I think there's an Options box that disables that? Perhaps I ticked it once upon a time for some reason...

Dave
Options - Prefs - General - Close media files when not the active application
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...