Video: nVidia demo of Vegas Pro 11 at IBC at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old September 13th, 2011, 02:02 PM   #1
Major Player

Video: nVidia demo of Vegas Pro 11 at IBC

Maybe this is rendered to ram, maybe not....

nvidia's Channel - YouTube

/m
Old September 14th, 2011, 09:29 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Video: nVidia demo of Vegas Pro 11 at IBC

This will be great.... I hope,
He speaks only of the Quadra cards, will we still see benefits with the cheaper end of the market?
My DDR5 GT 240 delivers about the same performance as much more expensive cards in the Mercury Playback engine with Adobe products.
I had to laugh, the Vegas Lens Flare must be the cheesiest, most easily recognizable Flare on the market, lol.
Old September 15th, 2011, 07:14 AM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald Webb View Post
will we still see benefits with the cheaper end of the market?
Theoretically, we should. But we cannot know for certain unless Sony tells us. We will know once version 11 is out and people start using it.
Adam Stanislav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2011, 07:28 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Yikes

Just had a look at my wholesaler price list for the Quadro cards... the 400 and 600 are fairly reasonable at $180 and $280 respectively but then you get the 5000 and 6000 at $2800 and $4800 for a card!!!!!

Not in stock yet here but can be ordered!!

I wonder which Quadro card they expect you to use????? I'm not going to pay 5 grand for a graphics card!!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2011, 02:26 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Just had a look at my wholesaler price list for the Quadro cards... the 400 and 600 are fairly reasonable at $180 and $280 respectively but then you get the 5000 and 6000 at $2800 and $4800 for a card!!!!!
This is my pet peeve. Nvidia's Quadro series cards and their gaming oriented GeForce cards share the same GPUs, and while Quadro cards generally have more (and maybe faster/more stable) RAM, there's no real reason for the Quadro cards to cost 5-10 times more than a GeForce card with the same GPU on it.

Not only that, but the GeForce series is the first to use Nvidia's new GPUs while Quadro series drags a generation or two behind. Quadro 4000, 5000 and 6000 are all based on the GF100 GPU which is now almost two years old. It has already been obsoleted by GF106, GF110, GF114, GF118 and GF119 in the GeForce series.

This whole set-up sounds awfully to me like Nvidia saying "Hey, you're professionals with studio resources behind you so you can afford to pay these prices." They also make damn sure we can't hack GeForce cards into showing to the system as Quadro cards.
Petri Teittinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2011, 03:22 AM   #6
Trustee

petri, when HAVEN'T hardware manufactures tried to rip off pro's and cutting edge freaks?

;-)
Old September 16th, 2011, 05:22 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Even better than that..Nvidia in the USA also now offer the 7000 card (used mainly for 3D CAD systems)

The price ...a mere $20,000 ....my wholesaler showed me the site but not the card..not at that price anyway!!!

Let's hope that Version 11 apart from super smooth playback with a $20K card does have some significant advantages over Version 10.... I'm pretty happy with 10 so far!!! However if 11 can take 1920x1080 HD footage and render it out to SD that has twice the resolution of Broadcast HD then I'll happily upgrade!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2011, 10:12 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Wand View Post
petri, when HAVEN'T hardware manufactures tried to rip off pro's and cutting edge freaks? ;-)
Yeah, good point :)
Old September 16th, 2011, 10:13 AM   #9
Regular Crew

I'm hearing Vegas 11 GPU support extends to at least some GeForce series cards.

update: Based on the info I got from Sony, the following GeForce cards are currently supported:
GTX 560 Ti
GTX 550 Ti
GTX 460
GTS 450
GTX 590
GTX 580
GTX 570
GTX 480
GTX 470
GTX 465

Last edited by Petri Teittinen; September 16th, 2011 at 02:52 PM.
Old September 17th, 2011, 12:44 PM   #10
Major Player

If any of you have used recent incarnations of geforce AND Quadro cards for AE, or AVID (or PPro which i haven't), the difference is noticeable but not worth the extra money for a Quadro.

I have a few systems running almost identical specs, but with very degrees of GPU cards... from an old gefore 8600, to a few different newer three digit geforce series, to a lower end year old Quadro card (still expensive). i can say my quadro card was a waste of money.

Faster, yes...1000$ faster...no way!!!

i wouldn't spend more than 200 or 300 on a card...and even then i'd be wondering if i paid too much!
Old September 17th, 2011, 11:13 PM   #11
Old Boot

Chicken and Egg.

For SONY, what comes first, in the develop/implement new=competitive software race to market?

THAT'S the question to be asking.

I've just UG-ed my platform by purchasing a completely new box to take advantage of VP10 and migrate to WIN7 64bit and take advantage of oodles of RAM. I've got the top end of that long list of vid cards of presently support cards, so I'm interested to see just how well nVidia 560 ti with 2gb will handle the new features.

Oh yes, with my PC, installed Win7 with 4 internal drives, plus plus plus worked out £250 CHEAPER than JUST this QUADRO card being spoken about.

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...