Vegas to Encore for Blu Ray render at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old September 16th, 2011, 12:40 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Vegas to Encore for Blu Ray render

So, having purchased the Adobe 5.5 Suite using the Final Cut crossgrade offer (yes, Vegas is still my primary NLE, but one can't have too many tools ;-) ) I'm wondering if any of you Vegas users have figured out a workflow to take a Vegas timeline to Blu Ray in Encore.

In short: What render settings (audio and video) do you use to take a Vegas project to Encore to produce a high-quality BluRay disc?
Old September 16th, 2011, 01:47 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Vegas to Encore for Blu Ray render

this won't help if you're using MP4, but i make MPEG-2 Blurays at 1280x720. I've used these in Architect (preferred) and Encore (practice). I use the "Blu-ray 1920x1080-24p, 25 Mbps video stream" mpeg-2 preset and change the 1920x1080 width/height to 1280x720 while leaving the data-rate alone (averages 10-12 gig per hour of encoded media).

when we move to 1920x1080 i'll probably switch to MP4 but haven't decided how i'll encode; Vegas or maybe some 3rd party app.

i use a mildly tweaked AC-3 Pro stereo setting (Dialog norm set to -31dB, Line mode/RF mode set to None)... when i do 5.1 i also check LFE low-pass filter and the 90-degree phase shift boxes
Rob Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2011, 09:17 AM   #3
Jubal 28

Gotta ask why you want to go to Encore. :)

It's a friggin' mess next to DVDA. I actually take the opposite tack and go from Premiere to DVDA.
David Jimerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2011, 02:25 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks for the input, Rob.

David - so I'm curious - what render settings do you use to take a file into DVDA from Encore to get a BluRay? Best results?

I actually prefer DVDA - I just hear people saying Encore is superior for a BluRay workflow...
Old September 17th, 2011, 02:39 PM   #5
Jubal 28

Would be curious as what reasons people cite for this. Is it really "workflow" or do they say it's a superior quality video?

When I go from Premiere to DVDA, it depends on what I'm working with and what I want to do with it. Not infrequently I'll export as DNXHD and do any disc renders from Vegas.
David Jimerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2011, 05:33 AM   #6
Trustee

I actually go from Vegas to Encore.
Previously I did the whole export Lagarith- Virtual dub- then square pixel 1024x576 into Encore,
But now after a few people saying Vegas' down conversion has improved (David being one of them, Thanx :), I go straight from my 1080p timeline in Vegas and render out separate DVD streams,
Drag them into Encore for no re-compress authoring.
Had no luck what so ever with Vegas Bluray templates, so just rendered out Cineform masters, made Bluray files with TMPGenc, then dragged those into Encore for no re-compress Bluray authoring.

So many people say DVDA is so easy, for me its the most unintuitive program around, Encore seems so much more logical. But to be fair, I spend a lot of time in Adobe apps, so I guess its what you are used to.
Photoshop and Encore for buttons/menus is really nice the way it updates with all changes.
Old September 20th, 2011, 04:31 PM   #7
Major Player

Hi Gerald,

What version of Vegas are you using? I too, go from Vegas to Encore 2.0. I tried Architect and I didn't know what was happening. Unintuitive is right but then again much like yourself I've been using Adobe Products for 15+ years. I only wish Vegas would allow FX undo/redo stepping like every other piece of software. After using After Effects on a project for green screen and composites, Vegas was annoying the heck out of me without undo stepping in FX =0

Kevin
Old September 22nd, 2011, 11:44 PM   #8
Trustee

Hey Kevin,
Im on Vegas 10,
Just finished a larger job on Encore,
Went well, the more I learn about it the better it is.
Never noticed the undo until you mentioned it, wonder why they havent got CTRL Z as an undo.
Maybe in 11...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...