OT: how to get rid of wind noise at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old September 23rd, 2011, 01:01 PM   #1
Inner Circle

OT: how to get rid of wind noise

No, this isn't another question on this issue.
Instead, it's an excellent article on getting rid of it at the time of recording which is the best place to do it.
It even tells you how to make your own furry.

Minimizing Wind Noise
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2011, 02:29 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: OT: how to get rid of wind noise

Good info. Everytime I do an outdoor event like a wedding, I shudder. The last one a couple of weeks ago I had a shotgun on my B camera (AT897) with a foam cover and a furry. My Sennheiser drum mic which was in front of one of the DJs speakers had a foam cover (from my Shure SM63-fits nice) and luckily was facing away from the wind. The grooms lav (Countryman EMW) worn a foam cover from a Tram50. A bit loose but I make it work. While he was facing into the wind (the B&G faced each other thru out the ceremony) she blocked the majority of the wind and with a little EQ and NR in post it worked great.
Most times we don't get so lucky.
Sing along....'If I only had a blimp'!
Thanks for the info.
Old September 23rd, 2011, 04:52 PM   #3
Trustee

Re: OT: how to get rid of wind noise

I'm not sure if this has been said here before - I've certainly said it somewhere - but you can get blimps out of India on Ebay for far far cheaper than any of the 'big name' 'brand name' ones, and they are great. I can't see anything wrong with their construction and in the one I got, they provide an extension so you can put a real long mic in it, plus an extra furry for the longer configuration, plus a number of different fitting for carrying different diameter mics.

As the article states, blimps are fragile things. This is so regardless of the cost. But I can't see how the Indian blimp can in anyway be weaker than any other sort. If you want 'brand name' fine, but when there is such a phenomenonal price difference, with no difference in end result, and minimal difference in quality, I don't know why anyone would bother about that.

I did a test with mine as above only in my office with a 600mm fan on full bore and the mic about 400mm in front of it. The wind noise was cut totally. Where I live a 15 - 20 mph wind is very common and at times its far stronger. There is virtually always wind. I had one job (building) where we had real strong winds every day for six weeks - but then the day we came to put the roof on it stopped and we had no wind at all for the 6 days it took to get the roof on...so that was nice...wind can be a problem not just for sound gathering...
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...