DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Is this Blu Ray quality? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/501170-blu-ray-quality.html)

Norris Combs September 29th, 2011 10:08 PM

Is this Blu Ray quality?

I just finished my vacation video, rendered using Sony AVC template, 1920 x 1080. I then used DVD Architect to "Make Blu Ray Disc", but burned to a standard DVD, using a LiteOn DVD burner. The video quality on my 30" monitor and on a big screen TV is excellent. So even though the disc is a standard DVD, and the burner is also standard DVD, my video is Blu Ray quality, right? I guess I need to confirm with you guys that a Blu Ray-quality video does not have to be on a Blu Ray disc.

Thanks,

Leslie Wand September 29th, 2011 11:06 PM

Re: Is this Blu Ray quality?

does it really matter if the picture looks 'excellent'?

;-)

Phil Lee September 30th, 2011 12:22 AM

Hi

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norris Combs (Post 1685509)
I just finished my vacation video, rendered using Sony AVC template, 1920 x 1080. I then used DVD Architect to "Make Blu Ray Disc", but burned to a standard DVD, using a LiteOn DVD burner. The video quality on my 30" monitor and on a big screen TV is excellent. So even though the disc is a standard DVD, and the burner is also standard DVD, my video is Blu Ray quality, right? I guess I need to confirm with you guys that a Blu Ray-quality video does not have to be on a Blu Ray disc.

Thanks,

What you have made is an AVCHD disc, this allows HD to be added to a DVD that will play back in Blu-ray players. The bit-rate has to be limited to around 18Mbits/sec when on DVD because DVDs can't be read as fast as Blu-ray discs. Blu-ray disc video bit-rates are usually around 30Mbits/sec or more.

There is no such thing as "Blu-ray quality", Blu-ray just carries video, it doesn't define the quality.

Yes it is HD on DVD with a lowish bit-rate to allow you to do it, if you are happy with it, don't question it :-)

Regards

Phil

Alen Koebel September 30th, 2011 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil Lee (Post 1685525)
What you have made is an AVCHD disc, this allows HD to be added to a DVD that will play back in Blu-ray players.

Actually, it's in the BDMV format. Neither Vegas nor DA can burn true AVCHD discs. The distinction isn't just splitting hairs, since some players can handle AVCHD but not BDMV (on DVD-R media) while others handle BDMV but not AVCHD (again, on DVD-R media). It's a real mess. You can thank the Blu-ray Disc Association for making our lives so easy. It clearly had our best interests at heart when it created the BD standard and didn't bother to make support for just one (or at best both) of these formats on DVD-R media mandatory in players (and it's not like they couldn't have - Sony and Panasonic jointly created the AVCHD spec.)

Norris Combs September 30th, 2011 10:05 AM

Thanks for the clarification! Like Alen said, it is in the BDMV format. I'm very happy with the quality I see on screen. So now I know that this disc will not play on a DVD player. Will need to get my parents a BD player for them to watch my kids vacation.

Ruben Kremer October 1st, 2011 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norris Combs (Post 1685606)
So now I know that this disc will not play on a DVD player. Will need to get my parents a BD player for them to watch my kids vacation.

Make sure the BD player is capable of playing a BDMV DVD-R disc, like Alen said - it won't play on every BD player!

Sasa Marjanovic October 4th, 2011 11:50 AM

This can not be a blu-ray quality because your footage is not HD,because you used a regular DVD burner which can not burn HD video.

Randall Leong October 4th, 2011 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sasa Marjanovic (Post 1686354)
This can not be a blu-ray quality because your footage is not HD,because you used a regular DVD burner which can not burn HD video.

True only if the DVD burner does not support UDF 2.5. Most recent DVD burners support UDF 2.5, and thus can support HD video. However, the maximum total bitrate allowed for HD video (this includes audio and miscellaneous streams, not just video) on standard DVD is 18 Mbps. Thus, the resulting HD video on DVD cannot be of full Blu-ray quality because of the lower bitrate. Plus, as another response noted, DVDs burned with HD video are not compatible at all with standard DVD players - they must be played back on a compatible Blu-ray player.

Jeff Harper October 4th, 2011 12:23 PM

Sasa, a regular SD burner can burn HD video, many of us do it all the time. A DVD burner just can't burn HD to a Bluray disc, but it can to an SD disc. It's a very cool thing. My first HD footage on a disc was to a DVD, not a Bluray disc. But as has been said, many Bluray players won't work with them.

Buba Kastorski October 4th, 2011 12:26 PM

something is wrong here, DVD Architect will not accept DVD as a blank media for a BD project, are you sure the button was "Make Bluray Disk " and not "Make DVD"?

Randall Leong October 4th, 2011 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buba Kastorski (Post 1686361)
something is wrong here, DVD Architect will not accept DVD as a blank media for a BD project, are you sure the button was "Make Bluray Disk " and not "Make DVD"?

It is "Make Bluray Disk", all right. But there, in the Properties, you can change the size of the disk to 4.7GB or 8.5GB (the default is 25GB).

Buba Kastorski October 4th, 2011 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randall Leong (Post 1686362)
It is "Make Bluray Disk", all right. But there, in the Properties, you can change the size of the disk to 4.7GB or 8.5GB (the default is 25GB).

wow, that's very cool, so you actually can burn like 15 min of bluray quality video on DVD , and if you're lucky maybe even watch it ?
i need to try that :)