Best way to correct washed out colour?? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old October 8th, 2011, 08:16 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: Best way to correct washed out colour??

Thanks Edward and Ian (and everyone else!!)

I was playing with curves and levels last night and it seems very sensitive to change...I KNOW this is wrong but like Jeff I still find that B&C does a quicker and easier job and looks just as good!!

I'll use the fancy plugins when I need really accurate adjustments just in one section...during yesterday's wedding one of the groomsmen's face was caught by the sun streaming in a high window so his face was somewhat blown out and playing with levels helped that a lot where B&C would have made the entire clip darker!!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2011, 08:33 PM   #17
Inner Circle

I was going to post basically the same comment, for me time in post occasionally comes into it.

Great info, thanks guys.

Cheers.
Old October 9th, 2011, 04:49 AM   #18
Major Player

Chris "Saturation Adjust" is there between "Rays" & "Sepia". Also you do get a plug-in that does selective exposure called Magic Bullet Looks it has two very useful tools Spot Exposure & Gradient Exposure. Spot will only increase/decrease the brightness at a specific spot say the face of a person in the dark and gradient exposure will do as the name suggests increase/decrease the brightness of a area say the left half of an image that was overexposed.
Attached Thumbnails
Best way to correct washed out colour??-mbl-spot-exposure.jpg  
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2011, 07:41 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Thanks Nicolas

I found it!!

Gosh I forgot about MBL...I think my version won't run on Win 7 64 bit so I might have to use the other editor on the XP Pro machine...I have used spot exposure before...really worked well too!! I have it installed on the other machine with Vegas 9. There is no issue swopping over a portable drive for some quick correction !!

Sorry to hear about the Rugby loss!! I was sure the Boks would clean us up!! Hard for me to take sides as I was born in Durban so I stay neutral!!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2011, 08:09 AM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Sorry to hear about the Rugby loss!! I was sure the Boks would clean us up!! Hard for me to take sides as I was born in Durban so I stay neutral!!!
Rather disappointing! Luckily I missed the game due to filming a wedding would have been too much to bare, I heard it was a bugger up, had high hopes that we would make the finals however our overall performance is not that great this year.
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2011, 04:10 AM   #21
Regular Crew

You ought to try being an England supporter if you want to experience realk angst!!!!

Richard
Richard Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2011, 08:46 PM   #22
Old Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Jones View Post
You ought to try being an England supporter if you want to experience realk angst!!!!

Richard
Placed against the Welsh performance, we weren't even at the races. Back to the drawing board, and I don't see how we're going to turn it around for the six nations. Looking forward to the French Welsh clash. Could be a classic, or a boring war of attrition.

OK, back on message here, I have used B&C - once, maybe twice. I saw just how destructive to my work it could be I rejected using it ever again. I thought there had to be another way......

I then read many posts, posted naive questions, and surfed the net; watched countless tutorials; read books on CC and grading and studied many videos and films, and BTW, continue to learn. And you know what, B&C continue to be the single, most misleading blind alley one can employ. I can't think or even contemplate just where I'd use B&C now? Levels, CCorrector, CCurves are my go to guys. I just wish you could sit on my shoulder and see how I use them and how B&C are simply just crude to the point of being counterproductive.

Something written above made me think that if you are videoing high contrasty bright environments without filters, then maybe not appreciating what these other tools can give, could be misunderstood?

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...