DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Should I upgrade to Windows 7 64bit? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/501414-should-i-upgrade-windows-7-64bit.html)

Adi Head October 8th, 2011 10:05 AM

Should I upgrade to Windows 7 64bit?

I own a Dell Studio 1555 laptop.
Here are the specs:
Intel Mobile Core 2 Duo P8600 @ 2.40GHz:
4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 398MHz (6-6-6-18)
Motherboard: Dell Inc. (U2E1):
Monitor (1920x1080@60Hz)
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570
488GB Western Digital WDC WD5000BEVT-75ZAT0 (SATA):
HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GA31N
ATI Function Driver for High Definition Audio - ATI AA01

I'm currently running Windows XP Professional 32-bit SP3 and I run Vegas 9 Pro on it without a problem.

I'm thinking of upgrading the operating system of this laptop to Windows 7 64bit, but I'm a bit worried that this might affect how things run on it - particularly video editing with Vegas. Also, will I require Vegas 10?

Adam Stanislav October 8th, 2011 12:22 PM

Re: Should I upgrade to Windows 7 64bit?

Check out the Windows 7 system requirements - Microsoft Windows. If all checks out, I would say by all means do the update.

No, you will not need to go to Vegas 10. You can run 32-bit software on 64-bit Windows. It will still be limited to 2 GB, but since you only have 4 GB anyway, that does not sound like too big of a limitation.

Oh, and get Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor - Download - Microsoft Windows which will test your system and tell you if it is ready for Windows 7.

Adi Head October 8th, 2011 03:34 PM

Okay. thanks for the reply!

Chris Harding October 8th, 2011 08:22 PM

Hi Adi

Also realise that by upgrading some software that you currently use may give issues!!! My Vegas 10 works great with 64 bit but I use DVD Lab for authoring and although it runs fine in Win 7 I get all sorts of weird and wonderful problems where the compiling will fail or I get demuxed files that have no time code...this might be win7 or it might be the fact that the CPU speed is just too fast for the software!! However I have a new tower with Win 7 and have kept my old Win XP machine as DVD Lab runs perfectly on the older system. If you are using burners like Nero, Nero 6 and below won't even install on Win 7 !!!

Chris

Jeff Harper October 8th, 2011 11:52 PM

I would save the money from the upgrade and buy a new laptop with Windows 64 bit installed.

Secondly, for your current laptop I'm not sure I would upgrade it at all, it was designed/assembled with XP in mind, not Windows 7. You will not get increased performance, likely less. It would be wasted money, IMO.

If you're not having problems now, you are only asking for them by upgrading you OS on such old hardware.

Marcus Martell October 9th, 2011 05:15 AM

Hi,
i'm on the same boat of ADI,
i own a Dell Precion M6300, i run 4gb Ram
Extreme X9000 processor
Nvidia Quadro Fx 3500

I'm running xp 32.
I was thinking to jump to Windows 7 so i could use the 4GB of Ram. I run Vegas 10 that sometimes crashes....
My question to you is: Should i or shouldn't i?
Should i go for xp 64 or I7 or stay in XP32?

thx a lot

Chris Harding October 9th, 2011 07:32 AM

Hi Marcus

10E 64 bit runs pretty well on my i7 2600 with 8GB ram. Now and again I have had the render box refuse to close and just one issue where "Vegas has stopped working"

I never had any issues ever with 9 or 10 32 bit on XP so whay I do is run both machines...the i7 gives me awesome render speeds and the XP machine is there if things start to go crazy!!!

You can install both a 32 and 64 bit Version 10 on the same machine too!!!

If you can afford to keep you existing computer then it will help you if things go wrong and also if some of your older software won't run on Win 7 !!!

Chris

Ian Cope October 13th, 2011 12:27 AM

Here is a great piece of software for those wanting to upgrade their XP machines to Win 7. It will make running your old apps a doddle in your new Win 7 enviroment.

Zinstall XP7

Cheers,
Ian

Jeff Harper October 13th, 2011 06:09 AM

Nice Idea, Ian, but I would never use such a thing. Nothing can make Windows work better than a clean install on a new machine. I wouldn't touch it, but that is just my opinion.