Capture help needed please? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old October 11th, 2011, 11:25 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Capture help needed please?

Got the firewire card installed everything works but I am now having an issue capturing video. During capture, in the capture window the radio button controls all work the camera but when I hit any of them the capture preview stops but is still rolling on the camera playback screen, in the capture window the screen goes blue. The only way to get it back is to hit the reconnect to current device button at the top of the capture window.

For example, while capturing if I hit the stop capture radio button to let the tape roll to another piece of footage the camera still rolls on just fine but the capture preview window goes blue and also has no sound. Only after I hit the reconnect to current device radio button will it come back on the capture viewing screen. I hope that explanation makes sense?

Last edited by Tim Cee; October 11th, 2011 at 02:46 PM.
Tim Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2011, 02:43 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Capture help needed please?

I got it working. I uninstalled the driver then reinstalled it, this seemed to do the trick.

I am no computer tech type, quite the opposite in fact. To me computers are one of a few necessary evils that are part of video and still imaging. It was a brain taxing day for me as I installed a Firewire card and got the capture problem figured out. If you knew me you would know this was a huge feat for me but also a computer confidence builder in that I even got it done.

Thanks for all your help out there so far DVI'ers.

UPDATE: Well I spoke too soon. I restarted my sytem then rechecked, the capture still hangs up as mentioned above.

Any ideas folk's?
Old October 11th, 2011, 03:23 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Tim,
Tell us what you're using...Pro of VMS and which version. Also what are you trying to capture? DV, HDV or something else.
Old October 11th, 2011, 09:57 PM   #4
Old Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Cee View Post
Got the firewire card installed everything works......
Well, what is working? Besides the issues you are having with capture, what is working that you can say the FireWire is working?

Ok, what is your OS? And is this a new build?

What you are describing appears to be a mismatch of FireWire drivers with Win7.

As Don asks, we need more information.

Cheers

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2011, 06:47 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Yes, this is a new system, see specs below. It did not come with a firewire port so I installed the card, a dual port IEEE 1349 card. The firewire ports see the camera, they also see the external hard drive plugged into it. I use a Canon XHA1 to shoot and then a Canon HV30 to capture to save wear and tear on the XHA1. It is all HDV I am capturing.

I tried capturing with the XHA1, it works flawlessly but as mentioned I would rather use the HV30 to capture as I did on my old system. As I said, the capture and playback will work on the HV30 but as soon as I hit a radio button in the capture window it stops working then I need to hit the Reconnect to device radio button, also in the capture window. It also stops working when a scene change occurs during capture/playback. I sure hope this gives you enough info to help me out on this.

If it is a driver issue where do I get another driver? The system picked this driver automatically when I plugged in the camera and gave no other choices.

Sony Vegas Pro 10
Windows 7 64 bit machine
XPS 8300 Intel Core i7-2600 processor(8MB Cache, 3.4GHz)
12GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHZ, 2x4GB/2x2GB
AMD Radeon HD 6770 Graphics card
Old October 12th, 2011, 06:58 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Here's a suggestion by Ian Stark on legacy firewire drivers that may help.

Right click on 'Computer' ->Manage->Device Manager->IEE1394 Bus Host Controllers->select your card->right click->Update driver software->Browse my computer for driver software->Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer->select the driver with (LEGACY) after it's name->Next->Finish.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2011, 08:02 AM   #7
Old Boot

I'm glad I asked if you had a new Win7 install, which you've now confirmed, my money is on the need to select the Legacy Driver. You'll have it on your Win7 install, it's just waiting for you to select.

Follow the directions the last poster made, and you should be good to go.

Grazie
Old October 12th, 2011, 08:28 AM   #8
Inner Circle

You know what? I think you might have just solved a problem for me that I apparently solved myself some time ago! I'd forgotten about that little trick. Hope it works . . . for both of us!
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2011, 09:01 AM   #9
Regular Crew

I tried the Legacy driver, it made things worse. It made the XHA1 act as finnicky as the VH30 during capture attempts. I managed to get it back to the other driver so now at least the XHA1 captures as it is supposed to but the intended capture deck, the HV30 is still not working correcty.

I even looked for an updated driver at the Manufacturer web site for the firewire card but they have nothing.

Any other ideas to get the HV30 capturing properly? This was why I upgraded the system in the first place, solely for better performance with Vegas and my video but it seems I have gone from the frying pan to the fire. I am frustrated beyond words, any other ideas?
Old October 12th, 2011, 08:01 PM   #10
Old Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Cee View Post
...... but when I hit any of them the capture preview stops but is still rolling on the camera playback screen, in the capture window the screen goes blue.
Eh, I re-read your experience above, have you got the option to Preview Video and Audio during Capture selected? If so, then I'm out of ideas. Added to which you've already checked the Legacy driver option.

I'm going to ask the obvious here - do you think you've captured anthing? Not being able to see capturing isn't the same as not capturing, if you haven't got the Previewing selected.

Grazie
Old October 13th, 2011, 06:38 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Bernard View Post
Eh, I re-read your experience above, have you got the option to Preview Video and Audio during Capture selected? If so, then I'm out of ideas. Added to which you've already checked the Legacy driver option.

I'm going to ask the obvious here - do you think you've captured anthing? Not being able to see capturing isn't the same as not capturing, if you haven't got the Previewing selected.

Grazie
Yes, it captures until it loses the connect with the HV30. It loses connect when I hit the radio control buttons in the capture window and also at times during scene changes during capture play back. Same tape, same settings, same everything on the XHA1 which works fine so it is somethng with the HV30 the capture function does not like.
Old October 13th, 2011, 08:57 PM   #12
Inner Circle

(kicking self for not suggesting it much earlier).
Give HDVSplit a try.
It's free and a lot of folks love it.
HDVSplit utility for HDV capturing with scene split - HDV capture utility
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2011, 08:10 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Thank You Mike, and everyone else who tried helping me with this issue. I will look into the HDVSplit program. I guess I am overly stubborn as I would like Vegas Pro to do as it is supposed to, like it did on my older system.

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the help.
Old October 15th, 2011, 08:36 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Something I have just learned today is that not all firewire cards work with Windows 7 and an even greater number will only work under 32 bit OS's. Microsoft rewrote their firewire drivers for Win 7 and there's a white paper available that explains the changes (sounds riveting . . .)

This is one of the things that might be cured by installing the legacy drivers (there are other drivers that apparently work well, available from Unibrain, but I haven't tried these). In my case the legacy drivers did not work and I haven't made the time to try the Unibrain drivers yet.

General advice seems to be to avoid the cheap cards.

I don't know if this is going to be of any help to you Tim, but I'm posting this in case it's of use to others who find this post while looking for firewire problem solutions.
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2011, 02:28 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Stark View Post
Something I have just learned today is that not all firewire cards work with Windows 7 and an even greater number will only work under 32 bit OS's. Microsoft rewrote their firewire drivers for Win 7 and there's a white paper available that explains the changes (sounds riveting . . .)

This is one of the things that might be cured by installing the legacy drivers (there are other drivers that apparently work well, available from Unibrain, but I haven't tried these). In my case the legacy drivers did not work and I haven't made the time to try the Unibrain drivers yet.

General advice seems to be to avoid the cheap cards.

I don't know if this is going to be of any help to you Tim, but I'm posting this in case it's of use to others who find this post while looking for firewire problem solutions.
My logic is that I refuse to believe the XHA1 works well and the hard drive also works well on the card but only the HV30 will not. I woudl think if it were a cheap or bad card my results would be different than I have outlined above?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...