DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Output to broadcast monitor (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/501561-output-broadcast-monitor.html)

Ian Stark October 13th, 2011 07:45 AM

Output to broadcast monitor

How are people getting their output from Vegas onto a broadcast monitor?

Until today I was using an old DAC-200 bi-directional converter which worked perfectly (pc firewire -> DAC-200 -> JVC monitor). I also used it to connect the camcorder to the pc for capture since one of my two onboard firewire ports died.

Sadly today the DAC-200 has given up the ghost so I am looking for a replacement. There don't seem to be any DAC-200s on eBay at the moment otherwise I would have gone for one of those.

What suggestions do you have for a replacement?

Cheers,

Ian . . .

Seth Bloombaum October 13th, 2011 09:58 AM

Re: Output to broadcast monitor

(Grass Valley) Canopus ADVC-(something)

There are a series of converters with different features, most are bi-directional, many are firewire to s-video or composite. The hardware codec is very good.

I used an ADVC-100 (later replaced by the 110) for many years, it disappeared on a job and I bought an ADVC-500. The 300 is nice if you ever have to capture analog, because it includes a TBC. These are all older models, and there are new FW as well as multi-format converters.

Ian Stark October 13th, 2011 10:37 AM

Thanks Seth. Yes the 110 was one I was looking at. I do capture analogue on occasions but not 'professionally' - only if my wife digs something out of a cupboard from aeons past!

So is Grass Valley considered the best route, generally?

Marc Salvatore October 13th, 2011 01:38 PM

I'm using the Black Magic Intensity pro card to feed my Sony SD Broadcast monitor via component. It works well and also gives me the same picture with After Effects and Firstlight.

Seth Bloombaum October 13th, 2011 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian Stark (Post 1688366)
...So is Grass Valley considered the best route, generally?

Best? It's certainly a very good route for firewire to analog.

I never tried my Intensity Pro for this task though, I take Marc at his word that it's good with good colorspace handling. Intensity is PCI-Express or USB3, and a new Thunderbolt model. ADVC-110 is firewire.

George Palmier October 13th, 2011 11:23 PM

Is it possible to use the HDMI connector on the video card to see the preview on another monitor?

David Johns October 14th, 2011 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc Salvatore (Post 1688427)
I'm using the Black Magic Intensity pro card to feed my Sony SD Broadcast monitor via component.

Ditto, on Vegas Pro 10e 64-bit. Works pretty nicely.

David

Ian Stark October 14th, 2011 10:42 AM

My monitor is a rather long in the tooth standard definition JVC with a single BNC video in (well, it has more than just a single input, but I only ever use just one of the channels and I never use the audio ins). With the DAC-200 I used the video line of a simple RCA component cable with an RCA to BNC connector on the monitor end. Any thoughts as to how I would get the signal from the Intensity into a single BNC? I am typically editing HDV and occasionally DV. The standard definition display is fine for my limited needs in that 90% of my output ends up on the web (for which I cc and grade on the pc screen and don't use the monitor) while the occasional project ends up on a DVD and therefore viewed in standard definition (for which I cc and grade using the JVC monitor).

I'm torn between the two choices of solution here. I don't do enough analogue material conversion to actually NEED the Canopus, but it would be a nice to have. Having said that, it's about £100 more expensive. Decisions, decisions . . .

I guess if getting the signal from the Intensity to the JVC is easy then that's the route I will take and worry about a Canopus (or equivalent) next time I need to convert a to d.

Seth Bloombaum October 14th, 2011 12:53 PM

The Intensity Pro PCI-Express comes with a breakout cable that connects to the D-Sub connector on the back of the card. It gives you a large handful of RCA/Phono-Female connectors.

NTSC/PAL (Y Out) is available on connector #4, there is a control panel selection that must also be made.

An RCA to BNC cable and I suspect you're in business.

And, though I use the Canopus FW interfaces, I'm also very happy with my Intensity Pro, it's a great product if you have a PCI-Express slot for it or USB3 for the Shuttle version.

And, the Intensity will also do analog capture. Finicky settings, but I've gotten it to work.

All my comments based on NTSC, not PAL...

Ian Stark October 14th, 2011 01:00 PM

Seth, sounds like a risk I'm prepared to take ;-)

Thanks for the advice (same to all who have posted)

Ian Stark October 16th, 2011 11:43 AM

Intensity Pro ordered. I did some more checking on the 'Intensity breakout cable to single BNC in PAL land' subject and all looks like it will work fine. I'm rather looking forward to this! Thanks again for all the guidance.

Ian Stark October 18th, 2011 03:55 PM

Just to confirm it all works like a charm. Performance over composite is great and for the first time I am seeing the production monitor display in sync with the Windows display, as opposed to about 1/4 second behind! I'm assuming this is as a result of using the Intensity Pro.

Very happy. Thanks Marc, Seth, David et al for guidance.

Out of interest, has anyone noticed what appears to be a 4-pin firewire port on the back edge of the card? Can't see any reference to it in the manual and a quick Google reveals nothing.

Marc Salvatore October 18th, 2011 07:41 PM

Good to hear Ian. Are you using composite or component?

Ian Stark October 19th, 2011 04:40 AM

Marc, I'm using composite (I think I said component earlier - mistake) into a rather long in the tooth JVC monitor. I've just splashed out on a new system for Vegas but when I've recovered from that I'll look into better alternatives.

Ian Stark October 19th, 2011 04:45 AM

Of course for capture I will use component.