Video Card for Sony Vegas 10 Is Geoforce 560 sufficient or Overkill - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old October 16th, 2011, 11:25 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: Video Card for Sony Vegas 10 Is Geoforce 560 sufficient or Overkill

@Randall. Makes sense. Great! You just gave me my excuse not to wait ;-)
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2011, 04:35 PM   #17
Trustee

@adam.

you'll find that you can only use two of the three outputs simultaneously. nvidia do make some multiple output cards, but they're fairly expensive. eg, the quattro range.

ati make a cheaper 3 output cards, along with their eyefinity (?) range, but i've never been happy with ati drivers.
Old October 16th, 2011, 05:06 PM   #18
Trustee

I only ever need to use DVI and HDMI, so being able to use those two at the same time is enough for me. :) ATI cards do not support CUDA, so they’re out of contention for my needs. If I ever needed more than two outputs, I’d just get a second NVIDIA card, but I do not foresee needing that anytime soon.
Adam Stanislav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2011, 11:35 PM   #19
Trustee

i thought the same way adam, but recently decided to retire my old hr sony monitor in favour of another ips panel. this way i can calibrate it to a 'reasonable' degree of accuracy, and feed it a hdmi signal from a second nvidia card - affording me a dedicated 'external monitor' from vegas.

i've kept the hr and a dvd player, just to check ;-) that all's right .

Last edited by Leslie Wand; October 16th, 2011 at 11:36 PM. Reason: spelting
Leslie Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2011, 04:31 AM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Stark View Post
I agree with 'wait until Vegas 11' for the gpu and 'wait until the new Intels' for the cpu (if you can).

Something else you might want to think about before you get a budget graphics card is what other things you want to do with your pc. You might be running other apps that would benefit from a better gpu. I just read an interesting article which said that for gaming, for example, you will do better getting a more modest cpu and investing more in a better gpu if you have to make the choice.

There is clearly a point of diminishing return in both cpu and gpu and as you go up the ladder you might find yourself only enjoying a marginal improvement by getting the next model up.
This computer is used EXCLUSIVELY for Editing Video and Photos. Currently the only Programs that are on it are Vegas 8.0, Vegas 10.0 Photoshop CS2

If I can save some money on a Video card and edit my Hi Def videos, Ill be tickled pink.
Old October 17th, 2011, 04:38 AM   #21
Inner Circle

David, you are a wise man! I have a similar plan for my new build pc - just Vegas and After Effects. Everything else works fine on the existing Quadcore, which will become my primary office pc plus Photoshop. My biggest decision now is where to put the two new monitors - I will have four across the two PCs! Time to rethink the office!
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2011, 06:58 AM   #22
Major Player

I decided on the ATI Radeon HD6870 today to go with Vegas 11, it was that or the nVidia GXT560Ti, sure Abode only support CUDA but Vegas supports ATI and I use Vegas 90% of the time, my decision came down to the 4 monitor support on the particular HD6870 I got. I also have four monitors across two PC's but I'll change that to four across one PC and access the second PC via Remote Desktop.
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2011, 05:20 PM   #23
Major Player

I seem to be in the minority of posters here but I have had nothing but trouble with NewEgg and have had excellent experience with TigerDirect. In fact, after my last experience with NewEgg, I would be hesitant to buy from them again. My last experience with them set me back well over a month on the upgrade due to issues with the parts they sent and shipping delays. Their customer support was very lacking and the return policies were problematic.

That said, I am running two GeForce GTX 220 for my 4 monitor setup and never had a card related issue. I stay pretty solid with GeForce as I have have issues with ATi's in the past. I prefer EVGA or XFX brand cards and have had great experience with those and avoid BFG brand cards like the plague. Gigabyte is a respected manufacturer of computer parts so i am sure you will be happy with your purchase. Let us know how it all turns out for you.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...