Rendering in Vegas Pro 11 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old October 19th, 2011, 06:28 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Rendering in Vegas Pro 11

OK here's the thing. I decided to upgrade to Pro 11 (more speed...) and struck an issue, similar to another thread here.
I have a TM900; shoot in 1920x1080 @ 50P. Vegas has no problem editing that; the issue is with rendering and display, as this is only just within the version 2 AVCHD specs, and there is no compatible hardware currently available.
Not a problem, with Vegas 10e I have a workable solution. Within the Sony AVC template list there is a HD 1920x1080-50P template; data running at 26 Mbits/sec. I export the mp4 file wirelessly to my PS3 and watch. Imagine my disappointment on firing up Vegas 11; that template is not there! There are a number of Sony AVC templates, not adjustable (we know what you need......)
I have trawled through the mpeg2 templates - larger files, but not necessarily a problem. I CAN manipulate them to give the right parameters, BUT - have tried a few times, and the rendering quits after a few minutes with "An error occurred during creation of the video file ... - the nature of the error could not be determined" Gee thanks!
So, questions to wise people out there:
Is there any option in the AVC area - am I missing anything?
If I try a mpeg2 file, what settings do I need? Thinking particularly of profile & level - I don't understand these, and it could be what is making the process fail. Also bitrate - the stream from the camera is essentially a mp4 (I think) at 26 Mb/sec; does a mpeg2 need to be a fair bit higher?
Thanks in advance for any help.
Ron

Edit - oops, on further investigation I found a template I can adjust. One of the Bluray basic templates, I can wind that up to the desired specs, change the file type to mp4, and include audio. So it seems to be OK.

Aaah, the joys of getting your head around new programs & things!

While I'm here, there may be a question - the default profile is Main - what is the difference between Baseline, Main and High?

Thanks again.

Last edited by Ron Windeyer; October 19th, 2011 at 07:04 PM. Reason: Addition/correction
Ron Windeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2011, 03:45 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Rendering in Vegas Pro 11

I'd like to know the answer to your last question myself.
Old October 20th, 2011, 04:07 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks to an email I got from Justin Moy, this from Wikipedia:

Baseline Profile (BP)
Primarily for low-cost applications that require additional data loss robustness, this profile is used in some videoconferencing and mobile applications. This profile includes all features that are supported in the Constrained Baseline Profile, plus three additional features that can be used for loss robustness (or for other purposes such as low-delay multi-point video stream compositing). The importance of this profile has faded somewhat since the definition of the Constrained Baseline Profile in 2009. All Constrained Baseline Profile bitstreams are also considered to be Baseline Profile bitstreams, as these two profiles share the same profile identifier code value.
Main Profile (MP)
This profile is used for standard-definition digital TV broadcasts that use the MPEG-4 format as defined in the DVB standard.[21] It is not, however, used for high-definition television broadcasts, as the importance of this profile faded when the High Profile was developed in 2004 for that application.
Extended Profile (XP)
Intended as the streaming video profile, this profile has relatively high compression capability and some extra tricks for robustness to data losses and server stream switching.
High Profile (HiP)
The primary profile for broadcast and disc storage applications, particularly for high-definition television applications (for example, this is the profile adopted by the Blu-ray Disc storage format and the DVB HDTV broadcast service).

I took from this that if I am trying to create 1920x1080 50P video, the High profile may work better. So I have selected that. Seems to work.

Ron
Ron Windeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2011, 04:32 AM   #4
Inner Circle

That is very good info, thanks a lot for sharing it.
Old October 20th, 2011, 04:33 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I'm using High on a render now and it seems to take no longer.
Old October 20th, 2011, 09:26 AM   #6
Major Player

At least your renders are rendering, I'm struggling my ass off to get a success full render out on a full project to Cineform. My GPU joy has turned into sadness, all I want is to press the render button and get a hassle free render not to mention MPEG-2 crashes all the time. I'm back to rendering my project out into 5min sections.
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2011, 12:21 PM   #7
Major Player

Im so sad :( I succesfully completed 2 renders with my gpu enabled (gtx 570)

and they were 720p and going way faster than realtime ,previously with vegas 10 i only get better than realtime with 480p

then i started to get system is out of memory errors, so i rebooted ,try to render again

and cant even complete one render :(

had to revert back to vegas 10

I really hope they can get this worked out, because the increase in render speed is phenomenal!
Tom Bostick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2011, 12:34 PM   #8
Inner Circle

I've always been pretty lucky with Vegas. My luck has run out. V11 will not render 720p project for more than 30 seconds.
Old October 20th, 2011, 12:39 PM   #9
Inner Circle

To clarify, I've used the 720p template that I created many times, no issue before in 10. I tried rendering to different hard drives, to no avail. Reduced # of threads in preferences to 8, no change. Lowered ram preview to 0 for heck of it, no change.
Old October 20th, 2011, 01:53 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
To clarify, I've used the 720p template that I created many times, no issue before in 10. I tried rendering to different hard drives, to no avail. Reduced # of threads in preferences to 8, no change. Lowered ram preview to 0 for heck of it, no change.
do you get the "system out of memory error too"?
Tom Bostick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2011, 01:59 PM   #11
Inner Circle

No, render is stuck on first image for about 20 or 30 seconds, then error window says something like "Vegas could not complete render due to unexpected error, the reason could not be determined".

I have rendered successfully to 1080p, but the project was only 5 minute long, but I'm hopeful for 1080 it works normally on all projects, but I won't be finding out anytime soon, because from here on out I must stick with 10 until a workaround or fix appears.
Old October 20th, 2011, 03:51 PM   #12
Major Player

Jeff to what codec do you render to? Vegas 11 also crashing on long edits on my side.
Old October 20th, 2011, 04:05 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Nick, Mainconcept mp4. Nicholas, are you still using a Q6600? Or am I thinking of someone else?
Old October 20th, 2011, 04:51 PM   #14
Major Player

Yes that's me still on the Q6600, you think that's the problem? My system runs pretty smoothly.
Old October 20th, 2011, 05:04 PM   #15
Inner Circle

Well Nicholas, my first thought when you said something was "processor can't keep up". But now with my issues, and a brand new processor, who knows? I can render 1080, but not 720. Others are having misc issues with 720 also, and Lord knows what else. So at this point your troubles are anyone's guess!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...