Help With Avi Files In Vegas Plz!!!! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old August 29th, 2005, 01:33 AM   #1
Tourist

Help With Avi Files In Vegas Plz!!!!

Hi everyone,

I recently began using Vegas 5 and I'm fine with most things, except when it comes to importing my avi movie files (mainly 40 minute TV episodes) into the Media Pool.

When I do this, Vegas freezes and I get the error message:

"An error occured during the current operation.
An error occured while opening a codec".

I'm so confused because my WMV files work fine, the peaks build in seconds; it's only with Avi files that I run into this problem. (The Avi movie files play in Windows Media Player and Real Player and load into Windows Movie Maker 2, so I'm pretty sure I have the correct codecs)

If anyone has any tips or advice I would be so greatful!!!!

Sam
Samantha Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2005, 07:42 AM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

You need to find out what codec these AVI files use and install the proper codec for use in Vegas. Just because it opens in the other players doesn't mean the proper codec is installed.

HOW are you getting these AVI's? Are you capturing them (if yes, how)? Are you downloading them?
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2005, 08:31 AM   #3
Regular Crew

A couple of good free programs for determining the codec are GSpot and AVICodec.
Tony Rockliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2005, 07:22 AM   #4
Tourist

Most of the files have either been ripped from DVDs using Dr. Divx, or downloaded off the internet.

I downloaded the AviCodec program mentioned and it says the V codec name of my files is: DivXNetworks Divx v5, and when I go to my list of enabled codecs & filters, the only Divx codec there is: Divx Codec for Windows. Could this be the problem or are they the same, with different names?

Thanks again for your time I really appreciate it!
Old August 30th, 2005, 07:28 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I don't use the Divx codec so I'm not very familiar with it. Edward may know more about Vegas and Divx.

The latest free version (version 6 - which should be backwards-compatible with version 5) is here:

http://www.divx.com/divx/codec.php

The one you have may be an older version.
Tony Rockliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2005, 07:39 AM   #6

Now that you know what kind of file it is, simply install the codec that can read it - in this case, the DivX codec.
Old August 30th, 2005, 11:42 AM   #7
Inner Circle

I find that divX doesn't work perfectly in Vegas. Try converting it to DV first.

2- The divX encoder comes with spyware, or you have to pay for it. Only download the free codec that doesn't encode to avoid spyware.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2005, 04:18 AM   #8
Tourist

Thank you so much for all your help I did download the latest version of codec and everything works fine now!!

Just another stupid question from a silly newbie & then I promise I'll leave everyone alone, I was wondering if it is possible when importing movies into Vegas to make clips like you can do in Movie Maker? If anyone knows that would be great :)
Old September 2nd, 2005, 05:06 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Can you define "make clips like you can do in Movie Maker?"
If you mean making windows media files, Vegas can do this by selecting the wmv option and then the desired template. Go into "Custom" to modify this further.

Mike
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2005, 06:59 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Install K-Lite Mega Codec Pack,then render out in DivX Low or Fast Motion avi file,but before that you have to adjust maximum settings of quality in the codec properties and settings. It works with no problems.
Plamen Petrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2005, 07:28 AM   #11
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kujbida
Can you define "make clips like you can do in Movie Maker?"
If you mean making windows media files, Vegas can do this by selecting the wmv option and then the desired template. Go into "Custom" to modify this further.

Mike
Oh sorry I don't think I explained it well. In Movie Maker, when you import a file into your collections you can choose an option which says: "Create clips for Video Files".

After importing is finished you end up with a screen like this: http://img107.imagevenue.com/img.php...=393_Clips.jpg
which breaks down the movie into lots of separate clips, instead of having just one full size file to work with.
Old September 2nd, 2005, 07:36 AM   #12

In Vegas, with Scene Detection turned on you will get separate clips for each time you stopped and started the camera (assuming the clock in the camera has been set). If you have a single file with many scenes, Vegas will NOT break it up for you.
Old September 2nd, 2005, 06:23 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plamen Petrov
Install K-Lite Mega Codec Pack
And after this just format you system drive.
NEVER use Codec Pack's in the NLE Computer
Old September 3rd, 2005, 05:18 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdjeen Klime
And after this just format you system drive.
NEVER use Codec Pack's in the NLE Computer
Oh,really?!? I don't have any troubles!!!
Plamen Petrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2005, 07:14 AM   #15

You may or may not have problems. However, it IS generally recommended that you do NOT install codec packs. Instead, install ONLY the codecs you really nead.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...