DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Vegas 11 and Cineform? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/501959-vegas-11-cineform.html)

Brian Kennedy October 24th, 2011 11:05 PM

Vegas 11 and Cineform?

I've always encoded my 5D files as Cineform avi using Neo Scene, then worked with those avi's to edit in Vegas 9. Vegas 11 cannot open these files. It says, "An error occurred while opening a codec."

I went back to 9 and they still work fine there. Am I missing a step somewhere in installing 11?

Dror Levi October 25th, 2011 11:09 AM

Re: Vegas 11 and Cineform?

Brian. It looks like Vegas pro 11 have some major issues with Neo Scene.
With my understanding it is in Vegas end.

Brian Kennedy October 25th, 2011 11:32 AM

Thanks, Dror. Based on some Google searching, I thought perhaps it was because I need to update my Neo Scene to get a newer Cineform codec. My version is a couple of years old. But I am hesitant to spend the money to update if it won't fix the problem -- i.e., if the problem is with Vegas and not with my Cineform codec.

Is anyone else having trouble opening Cineform avi files with Vegas Pro 11? Not rendering to Cineform within Vegas -- I know that is a problem -- but just opening files already encoded as Cineform, dropping them on the timeline. Mine won't open at all!

I have several hundred old 5D clips encoded as Cineform avi, so I hope this isn't a long-term problem. In the meantime, I guess I'll continue editing in Vegas Pro 9 for a while longer.

Chris Barcellos October 25th, 2011 12:18 PM

I've downloaded and used 11, in projects that I have started in 10 with Cineform files. I haven't had any major issue, though I probably need to test more to see if there is carry over. I use NeoHD version, latest updates.

In 10, I did have occasional issues with Cineform files on the timeline. One moment they would be there, and the next, you would only get black screen as you played to preview. In rendering, you would still have the black screen. I could usually alleviate that by saving, then shutting down, and restarting and opening the same project. This occurred with Vegas 10 32 or 64 bit. At times it seemed to occur as Vegas was trying to access the file on the hard drive and it just wasn't accessing the file.

Quite frankly, I think Cineform should be developing some kind of script for Cineform files in Vegas, to adapt their codec to Vegas, if there is an issue. I think Cineform owes that to its long time Vegas users.

Harry Simpson October 25th, 2011 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Kennedy (Post 1691328)
I've always encoded my 5D files as Cineform avi using Neo Scene, then worked with those avi's to edit in Vegas 9.

I used to do this but then after updating my Cineform I found out that with Vegas Pro 10 I didn't even need to pre-cineform my MOVs before editing and I haven't used Ceniform for months now. I just drop the MOVs unto the timeline and edit from there.

Unless you specifically need the Ceniform for some other reason don't worry bout the 5D file to AVI conversion and just drop your MOVs directly into the timeline.

my 2 cents
Harry

Chris Barcellos October 25th, 2011 03:44 PM

I for one am not ready to jump away from CIneform. I don't use it because I have trouble with my 5D stuff on the time line. I use it because of Cinestyle and Firstlight as well as because the converted files seem to handle color correction and editing cuts better.

Harry Simpson October 25th, 2011 04:18 PM

Exactly. I don't use FirstLight so my single use was easily dropped. ;-)