DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   worth using 64 bit? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/502216-worth-using-64-bit.html)

Federico Perale November 1st, 2011 12:41 PM

worth using 64 bit?

excuse my ignorance, but I am currently still using Vegas pro 10 32 bit as I had the MBL issue that until recently wasn't supported on Vegas 64 bit.

Still, what are the advantages of using the 64 version of Vegas? I am thinking of buying MBL 2.0 and start using Vegas pro 64 bit, but is it worth the change?

I've read you don't really have savings in rendering time (that is with the exception of when you have used 64 bit plugins I guess). the big advantage seems to be more memory at disposal for previews?

Jeff Harper November 1st, 2011 02:07 PM

Re: worth using 64 bit?

I find little difference. I use 64 bit because I can, not because I need to. I don't think preview is better, but it might be. I found with version 9 that 64 bit seemed to render a higher quality file, but I do not know how that can be. But I rendered same files on both, and the 64 bit version came out better everytime, so I stopped using 32 altogether ever since at that point.

The processor in your PC is more important than the version of Vegas you use, for sure. I would rather have a fast computer with 32 bit, than a slow one with 64 bit.

David Jimerson November 1st, 2011 08:02 PM

Performance on the timeline is markedly better, I find.

But you can run both versions on a 64-bit system, so you don't really have to choose one or the other.

Steven Delcambre November 2nd, 2011 10:46 PM

Assuming your machine can handle the workload 64 bit is quite a bit faster when rendering. Most of the time at least twice as quick.

Jeff Harper November 2nd, 2011 10:57 PM

Steven, while I don't dispute your experience, rendering may be somewhat more efficient using 64 bit, I cannot confirm even a 25% increase in rendering speed, at least not in version 9. Most all accounts I've read is there are some slight improvements, but double speed really seems a bit much to expect.

Leslie Wand November 2nd, 2011 11:23 PM

probably worth it just to access more memory.

i haven't used vegas 32bit since 9 (though i had it simply because of a couple of plugins, which, after using 64bit, realised i didn't need anyway;-))

as stated, it doesn't do any harm to run both anyway and see how it works out for YOU.

Jeff Harper November 3rd, 2011 12:13 AM

Right, anyone with a 64 bit system can run both and choose. My above post was meant to temper expectations that may not be realistic. I'd hate to see people expecting X2 increase in time and then wonder why it's not happening for them. It may be it is that dramatic for someone, but I just can't imagine it. But as anyone around here knows, yours truly has been wrong many times before.