MDF/MDS files - need them in Vegas - How? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old November 12th, 2011, 10:54 PM   #1
Regular Crew

MDF/MDS files - need them in Vegas - How?

I've got a video file that was a few years ago burned with Alcohol 120.

I can now see/play these files in WMP by mounting through Alcohol 120. I need to convert them or somehow get them onto the Vegas 9 timeline. How to do that? From there I will convert them to upload to Vimeo.
Geoff Jak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2011, 12:19 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: MDF/MDS files - need them in Vegas - How?

Hey Geoff

As we chatted on the phone on Friday (I was at a wedding!!) The MDF/MDS is only an image file. The MDF holds the video content and the MDS is the descriptor file. Getting to the video should be simple!! Open the MDS descriptor file with Alcohol 120 and burn that to a DVD. It's much the same as an ISO file but is developed by Alcohol!! You can also burn to a "virtual disk" too!!!

Once you have the DVD burnt you will then have the original files on the disk and you can copy those onto your drive and import into Vegas as long as they are a standard format..if the burnt files were actual VOB files done as a DVD then use the import VOB file facility on the File Menu to bring in the content

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2011, 02:43 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Chris

Have burned the files and they end up the same file type as the originals - MDF/MDS. And when i attamept to import...it just godoesnt happen.

I used a virtual drive to have the files as ISO but that doesnt seem to help in getting them to Vegas.

I have tried ISOBuster, Alcohol 120 and PowerISO. Maybe I am missing something.

In ISOBuster it does a (valuable) test to determine the health of all files. All is well with the files, none are corrupted. This, like yesterday, is a long day;)
Thx
Old November 13th, 2011, 05:47 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Hi Geoff

Very strange!! Normally you would have a bunch of AVI or MPEG files and for convenience you would make them into a disk image so a user would have just one pack to burn....it's strange that it doesn't extract them back to the original video files....by any chance were they not "packed" twice??? I have been given compressed files a few time that simple extracted to more compressed files when unpacked and I had to unpack a second time!! I have only ever used ISO files for disk images and they certainly work fine when burnt to a CD!! I see that Google search says that they are often used by Peer to Peer sharing sites so maybe find a P2P forum and ask for some help there??? ...

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2011, 07:34 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Yes it is all very odd. So I'll take your advice and try a P2P.

As i was saying, I was able to unpack them to view the videos which consist of a 8 productions I have produced for various clients. I want to extract some to the Vegas timeline to send them out to Vimeo. I'l let you know how i get on.
Cheers Geoff
Old November 14th, 2011, 04:36 AM   #6
New Boot

Doesn't Alcohol 120 come with a Virtual Disk FIle System when installed with all its features? I never used Alcohol 120 but i tried it once and I kinda remember this being available optionally when installing...

What can you do with the Virtual Device, you may ask?
You could mount your image-file (MDF/MDS) and read-out the video(s) without having to burn it previously on media...
from there you could read it into Vegas by going to menu->Import->DVD Camcorder Disc... what would place all videos on to the timeline splitted by chapters and from there it's ready to edit.
Michael Pekic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2011, 08:28 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Thx Michael -
Well I cant get it to work. Used the Virtual Drive section of the Alcohol menu and I have a mdf/s files again and they wont import to Vegas.
Any other software that will read/import these files?
Old November 15th, 2011, 08:31 AM   #8
New Boot

That is how virtual drives work generally:

you should mount the MDF/MDS-image by opening the image from the virtual drive, perhaps you have to start the virtual drive first, and if autorun is active on your machine, it should offer to play the dvd or play it directly dependent on your system settings, when it is mounted correctly.
If that apperas you are able to do what i described in my earlier post, in Vegas...
Michael Pekic is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...