More Rendering Issues AVI File Size? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old November 16th, 2011, 06:48 PM   #1
Regular Crew

More Rendering Issues AVI File Size?

Here is the new problem

I have to render an AVI version of a short video. Total Running Time 17:45

I am working in Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 9.0. The video is SD and the shoot format is 720 X 480. The total edit is 6 scenes tagged together with short dissolves in between the scenes. A fade in and fade out. No special effects of any kind.

The total file size of the original shoot video for the 6 scenes used is 4,279,724 MB. There is less than this amount used in the final edit because of editing some of the heads and tails of each scene.

I have two choices for a render to AVI

One is the Default Template (uncompressed) which in indicates an estimated file size of 183.52 MB

The other option is NTSC DV PCM Uncompressed. The estimated file size is 3.94 GB

I rendered the video in the Default Template to get the smaller file size.

The actual file size created is 41.2 GB

And, the render has no audio.

I rendered the video into NTSC DV PCM and the file size is 3.76GB shich is less that the estimate of 3.94GB

HELP!

Last edited by Michael Dunn; November 16th, 2011 at 07:37 PM.
Michael Dunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2011, 08:17 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: More Rendering Issues AVI File Size?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Dunn View Post
The other option is NTSC DV PCM Uncompressed. The estimated file size is 3.94 GB
HELP!
This is fine.
What seems to be the problem?
Peter Manojlovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2011, 08:22 PM   #3
Regular Crew

The Default Template that indicated a small file actually created a huge file.

The Default Template (uncompressed) which in indicates an estimated file size of 183.52 MB. That is the pre render estimate. Using the Default Template it created a 41.2Gb file which is huge and it didin't have audio.

That is the render I am interested in finding what is going on.
Michael Dunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2011, 09:37 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Uncompressed DV-AVI files are HUGH as you have found out. Forget the default template and unless it's really necessary forget uncompressed.
Got thru the Render As menu and there should be NTSC-DV. Just use that and don't worry about the file size. Standard Definition DV files are for all intent and purposed 13 gigs per hour so if you have a 15 minute project then you'd have a rendered file size (provided you are rendering to DV-AVI) of about 3.25 gigs. This will include PCM (or WAV) audio.
Don't get too hung up on file size unless you're uploading to the net in which case AVI isn't the best way to go anyway. Remember SD-DV is 13 gigs per hour.
Old November 17th, 2011, 07:38 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks Don.

It just seems strange that the redered size estimate was very small and the actual size was huge. I have learned my lesson.

I am on a steep learning curve here. I grew up in a family owned production company (starting with film) and ending with video production. I was primarily a producer and a director. I was never a technical person. I know what I want to accomplish as an editor but for many years I sat in an edit suite where somebody else pushed the buttons. For years as a director I could edit the project I was working on in my head. Now I am doing the physical act of editing. I can fly through the actual editing because I shot the video and knew how I was going to edit it. The technical aspects of it are what I am learning.

Thanks,
Michael
Michael Dunn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...