DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Vegas freezes during render at 45% (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/503253-vegas-freezes-during-render-45-a.html)

Jeff Harper December 3rd, 2011 05:00 PM

Vegas freezes during render at 45%

Rendering 72060p for bluray, Vegas is freezing at 45%. I cut out the spot at which it froze (it's video with light CC) and it rendered fine. Then I went a rendered it again under a different name, and it froze up again at 45%.

Anyone else experience this?

Jeff Harper December 3rd, 2011 09:38 PM

Re: Vegas freezes during render at 45%

What I've tried so far:

1. Moving entire project to another hard drive that has nothing on it.
2. Renaming project.
3. Rendering to another hard drive (have tried three different drives, all internal)
4. Reduced the number of threads from 12 to 6, had no effect, so I'm back to using all threads.

Rendering is so far scheduled to take over 30 minutes longer than it did last attempt. Since Vegas 7 have I experienced so many issues trying to get a job done. These are strange glitches.

Leslie Wand December 4th, 2011 04:01 AM

hi jeff,

you don't want to read this, but i have no problems at all with 11 on 7/64.

that's not to say there aren't some bugs, and that quite a few people are having issues with 11....

my only noticeable problem (again, other that the well documented bugs) was with rendering / preview with my new 550ti. i had installed the latest nvidia driver, but my problems only went away when i (for once) installed the latest beta driver.

my only advice to any of my students who have such problems with nle software is simple - if you're serious about it, reinstall os - update it to present day (sp's, fixes, etc.,) then make image. then install vegas. at this point all should be good - image again - then start adding whatever, checking at each stage everything's ok.

that said, there's still the possibility of mismatched / flaky hardware, to contend with...

Jeff Harper December 4th, 2011 06:00 AM

Leslie, I'm on my third clean windows installation in three weeks, following long formatting of the hard drive, but the previous reinstalls were not due to serious Vegas issues. I'm running essentially the same hardware as with Vegas 10, but I replaced the video card yesterday to see if that would help.

If I weren't rendering a 2 hour bluray project the problem wouldn't show up, as it's only into the second hour of the project it gets stuck. I can render shorter videos.

As Vegas renders, I notice in the preview window that the render stops (or hesitates) then picks back up every two seconds or so. Normally when I render it just flies non-stop. This is new, it just began with this project.

I have created new templates to render from and no change.

Jeff Harper December 4th, 2011 07:46 AM

As I watch Vegas stop and resume during the render process, I can only think that something in interfering with the rendering, but what? I feel certain I have no virus, I do not open weird emails, I do not visit x-rated sites, etc., but something is amiss. I have tried rendering to both Mainconcept and Sony templates, and things are worse with the Sony AVC template.

I have no programs running in the background that I can see, and only essential programs installed.

I am using what is essentially a bulletproof hard drive, an enterprise class hd, but after this render attempt, I'm going to swap it out and see what happens. I'm now nearing the 45% mark of this render, let's see what happens this time.

Jeff Harper December 4th, 2011 08:42 AM

Swapped HDs and running from an old Win 7 installation, and it's rendering fine so far, but it's half the speed it was originally. A 2:10 bluray project rendered in 1 hour before, now it's scheduled to take 2:15 minutes.

I recall now that I did do one reinstall, if not two, due to rendering issues when V11 first came out.

Rendring 720p was problematic before and still is, obviously, except I was rendering projects just fine till now.

Leslie, do you render 720p projects longer than 1 hour?

Jeff Harper December 4th, 2011 05:35 PM

Well, I've moved things around in my case for better cooling of my raid card, which was running very hot, I've uninstalled a few programs that shouldn't affect anything, but did it anyway, reset my MB bios to default settings then adjusted from there, and things are working, finally.

I'll try the same thing with my Cheetah hard drive later for kicks, which is where the problems started, and see what happens.

Leslie Wand December 4th, 2011 10:30 PM

sorry jeff, out shooting and stuff...

most of my projects run to 30 / 45 mins max, so i can't say what happens on a long render with my setup.... (most of my renders are for pal dvd and mp4 - both in pal and ntsc - though originated in pal - and end files rendered more often than not using sony templates)*

i have to say i really do sympathies with your problems, there's nothing quite as frustrating as a half-finished render! i have found that in general if i do have a hic-up with a render it's usually bad media (nearly always client material!), though sorting out what caused it can be frustrating to say the least.

*i worked my way through the rendering book according to the various experts here and over on the scs forum. out of vegas into handbrake, frameserving, et al - been there, done that, phew...

from a personal point of view i think we're much too concerned with seeking pixel perfection, especially so when our general audience thinks youtube the bees knees.... ok, i'm conscious when producing material for broadcast, but even then i really doubt that the end results are 'significantly' better using external / customised methods over vegas's built in templates.

ok, when i was going three gens with beta sp i would be very wary, but heck, i've gone five with mxf without a single qualm and the end result knocked the client out with it's, quote, clarity and colour....

Jeff Harper December 5th, 2011 03:02 AM

Leslie, the issue was not with Vegas, but things got real scary for awhile, my whole PC got flaky. It appears the issue was related to a hot raid controller, but I may never know what the cause of the problems was.

What was funny was how the issue of stuck rendering started so suddenly, and was reminiscent of the first edition of V11 which had rendering issues of 720 60p for me, and some others as well.

At any rate, it all came out for the best. I have gone a cheap $60 video card, and the drastically lower power consumption / lower heat allowed me to increase my overclock.

My solution was to remove a couple of minor programs, and then I moved a couple of things to different slots in the case to allow better cooling. I then pulled my 15.7K OS drive and replaced it with my old Velociraptor, further lowering case temps.