How well does Vegas resize 1080? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old December 11th, 2011, 12:02 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: How well does Vegas resize 1080?

David, so the worst case with my burned DVD is it won't look as good as it might? Having burned them that's all I care about at this point! I did use the setting you named but I modified it by choosing the add pulldown setting. For future reference your advice, if correct, is much appreciated, as I will be burning 24p wedding videos at some point.

Jerry, if you render 24p, and use the correct DVDA settings, (the one David listed) and if DVDA does not recompress your video, then it will be a 24p DVD or Bluray, there will be no wrapper.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2011, 12:12 PM   #17
Jubal 28

Don't mess with the templates -- they're already optimized. The 24p template gives you everything you need to make a DVD which will play on any player. (The only thing you should ever change is the render quality to Best if you're resizing footage, but later versions of Vegas set it to that automatically anyway.)

If you want it to be 60i, just choose the NTSC template.

As it happens, if you changed the setting in the 24p DVD template, you probably didn't add any actual pulldown and the files probably aren't actually 60i.
David Jimerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2011, 01:01 PM   #18
Inner Circle

David, it added pulldown. The finished mpeg is 29fps, and after thinking about it I can't imagine why it wouldn't look fine, even if it will not looks it's best. It is a dance recital and the quality will likely be much better than anything they've received in the past anyway.

We'll see after I get feedback. Main thing is that it plays.
Old December 11th, 2011, 02:24 PM   #19
Regular Crew

David, One of the things I love about this stuff is continually learning new stuff. For some reason, I was under the impression that if you put media in DVDA's timeline that didn't match the DVDA project settings, then you would get a re-render.

However, I tested what you recommended - NTSC WS 720x480 60i DVDA project, 24p mpg on the timeline - works like a champ!

Thanks,
...Jerry

PS: I've put a correction in post #13
Jerry Amende is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2011, 05:51 PM   #20
Jubal 28

Jeff, if it works it works. Out of curiosity, though, if you take the MPG file and drop it into Vegas, what do the clip properties say the frame rate is?
David Jimerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2011, 08:28 PM   #21
Inner Circle

David, by right clicking on the file itself and going to details a clips properties are displayed, and Windows sees it as 29fps. In Vegas the properties are greyed out. With match properties, Vegas sees it as 24fps. However, when it's rendered without pulldown windows sees it as 24fps.
Old December 12th, 2011, 08:42 PM   #22
Jubal 28

Windows is reading the flags and interpreting it, which is why it says "29 fps." It's an esoteric point, but it's a 24p file. That "23.976+2-3 pulldown" selection (which is the default for the 24p DVD template) only adds the flags, not actual pulldown fields. That is the selection you want for a 24p DVD. If you give DVD Architect a 23.976 file with no flags, it'll have to re-render in order to add them.
David Jimerson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...