Vegas PC Build Question - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old December 15th, 2011, 07:26 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: Vegas PC Build Question

Phi wrote "If you want the faster CPU clock speed in the range, then buy it, why try and risk getting something for nothing,"

You overlook this entirely in your posts, but I know you understand this : CPU, GPU or memory clock speed is significantly limited by cooling. The reason that Intel only runs run one core with TurboBoost is heat dissipation. With better cooling, you can run all of the cores at the TurboBoost speed and faster.

I worked at a graphics chip company. They spend a lot of time figuring out how fast processors will run after they are produced, and what type of cooling system is needed. If you're not convinced, a quick inspection of graphics cards will reveal that no heat sink, heat sinks of varying size, small fans that spin quickly inside the case, heat pipes or a fan exhaust that takes an additional card slot. Despite design intentions, many end up running slower than intended. Just look at the huge variety of clock speeds sold even for the exact same GPU.

In some cases, such as with nVidia's NV30, more powerful cooling systems than ever before to make the product line profitable.

"In Jeff's case he's gone way over the top and his CPU is running at a clock speed Intel don't even sell it at ever"

No. Intel doesn't bother with supporting those customers that are able to make their CPUs run at higher clock speeds because Intel is not in the business of selling super cooling systems, though their stock cooling systems are beyond anything they shipped even five years ago. Some companies, including Dell and its Alienware line, sell over-clocked Intel systems with liquid cooling systems.

I believe the top of the line core i7 processors are sold with a fan that is unique to them specifically for over clocking, but I can't say for sure because I have only purchased one such processor. The cooling assembly is about the size of a newborn baby's head.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...