DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Edius 6 or Vegas 11? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/503886-edius-6-vegas-11-a.html)

Alan Henderson December 27th, 2011 06:54 PM

Edius 6 or Vegas 11?

I have Vegas 8.0c and Edius Neo 2.5.

Want to upgrade but can't decide which path to follow.

I'm using a Panasonic 1080/60p camera.

The Sony upgrade path will be $200 cheaper.

Currently I do everything in Edius Neo but do not like its limitations.

Is there anyone out there with both?

Advise welcome!

Thanks...Alan

Tom Roper December 27th, 2011 07:24 PM

Re: Edius 6 or Vegas 11?

You did say Panasonic 1080/60p, right? Ahem..good luck with Vegas 11. You have only one 1080/60p output option, Sony AVC. It is so very subpar you'll be running back to interlace. You could render to an intermediate like Lagarith, DNxHD or Cineform, for final render with the excellent x264 encoder.

Ron Evans December 27th, 2011 08:07 PM

Yes I have both. Use Edius 6 for most of my video and Vegas for most of the audio. They complement each other well as I also use DVD Architect for authoring. Not an issue for you if you are going to stay with 60P as these files are not part of any disc standard anyway( I assume you mean 1920x1080 60P ). I have a Sony CX700 which also shoots 60P and Edius has the option of sending back to the camera too if needed. Edius also uses the Intel QuickSync in the latest Intel CPU's for very fast encoding of h264 at adjustable rates. If I was shooting with just one camera and could only pick one NLE it would have to be Edius. If you are into complex audio then Edius is not the best and Vegas/Sound Forge would be the choice.

If you get Edius then the Edius Canopus HQ codec will also be available to Vegas 8 and Vegas could be used for any audio mixing you need.

Ron Evans

Alan Henderson December 28th, 2011 06:58 AM

Thank you both for your responses.

I do very little with audio.

Just purchased a blu-ray burner so I do plan to re-burn all my previous clips onto blu-ray.

Ron, for a simple burn, which Edius option would you select?

Alan

Ron Evans December 28th, 2011 02:55 PM

What exactly do you want to do? The sequences will be different if you want to retain a 60P file for viewing on a media server etc or just want a SD DVD or Bluray.

Ron Evans

Alan Henderson December 28th, 2011 04:13 PM

I misspoke about "what options."

I was thinking more along the lines of exporting to a file.

Have spent most of the afternoon trying to get a single blu-ray disk burned.

First one failed to encode.

May have been a result of too little disk space on my C-drive.

Trying again as we speak.

Update. Finished burning and the results are spectacular.

I also used Final Mate to join 60 clips into one file before I moved it to Edius Neo 2.5.

Extremely happy with the results.

Alan

Ron Evans December 28th, 2011 08:19 PM

If you bring in your files to Edius 60i project then you can export a Bluray or SD disc from the disc burn application. Functionally its between the burn from timeline of Vegas and DVD Architect but perfectly good for simple discs with menus. Edius will also join all the files for you too. Though I use the Sony PMB transfer utility for my AVCHD file from my CX700, SR11, XR500 or NX5U.

Ron Evans