DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Blew power circut in office need help! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/503994-blew-power-circut-office-need-help.html)

Joe Bowey December 31st, 2011 01:21 PM

Blew power circut in office need help!

Turned on lights and lost power, blew circuit. Flipped it back on and computer rebooted up but to year 2002 and lost some stuff. I set system recovery to another date and everything seems ok except that when i shut down computer, it goes off for about 5 seconds and the reboots back up.
I figure it must be a safety thing with motherboard or ? but can't shut off computer.
Any suggestions?

Don Bloom December 31st, 2011 10:57 PM

Re: Blew power circut in office need help!

check in the BIOS as it boots up. Power is the menu part you need.

Chris Soucy December 31st, 2011 11:52 PM

Hi, Joe...........

No expert at this but something worth a try.

When you power the machine off, and it finally goes "OFF", remove the power cable from the system and leave it disconnected for at least a minute.

Then, plug it back in and power the system up as normal, BUT, as Don has already intimated, check your BIOS settings during the boot sequence, as it would appear that something has gone amiss there big time.

If neccesary you may have to reload your BIOS from the on- line support from your MB manufacturer unless your MB has BIOS recover built in, you'll have to check the manual.

With details of OS in use and all the other usefull stuff completely absent (what were you thinking?) that's the best I can do.

CS

Don Bloom January 1st, 2012 07:36 AM

Shouldn't need to reload anything just make an adjust in the menu. Arrow over to power setting, arrow down to the right setting, save, you're done.

Joe Bowey January 1st, 2012 10:28 AM

Thanks for the replys. I have a ASUS motherboard p6x58d-e. Under power menu all are set to factory

suspend mode (auto)
repost video on s3 resume (no)
ACPI 2.0 support (disabled)
ACPI APIC support (enabled)

APM configuation
hardware monitor

EuP ready (disabled)

Everything seems to work fine after i reset everything to a week ago. It shuts off but 5 seconds later it starts up.
I did hold the power button down last night and it did shut off but today when i turned it on it went to "resume windows"

Seth Bloombaum January 2nd, 2012 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Bowey (Post 1706799)
...Everything seems to work fine after i reset everything to a week ago. It shuts off but 5 seconds later it starts up.
I did hold the power button down last night and it did shut off but today when i turned it on it went to "resume windows"

I would take a look at the settings in the Power control panel in Windows. Using the power button as above suggests that Windows is set up to hibernate when the power button is pressed.

The restarts are a little more mysterious - many desktop boxes have a reset button as well as a power button, and of course windows has a reset as well as turn off in it's controls. Win7 hides the various power down controls by default, to see them all you need to click the little down-triangle next to power off.

Joe Bowey January 5th, 2012 08:00 AM

had a pro look at computer and motherboard shorted. Luckly its under warranty. Now I am going to purchase a battery backup system for safety.
Thanks everyone for responding. All my files are safe thanks to keeping them on a seperate drive.