DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Rotate Characters in Text On Their Own Axis? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/504050-rotate-characters-text-their-own-axis.html)

Ryan Wilcox January 3rd, 2012 06:30 AM

Rotate Characters in Text On Their Own Axis?

I've been trying to find a way through Compositing Mode (3D Source Alpha) and track motion to get the text of a word on the Y-axis to spin from not seeing anything to have it spin on the Y-axis (horizontally) to 0 degrees or basically the default starting text position in 2D.

The problem is that when I put the Y-axis orientation starting at 90 degrees and have it end with 0 degree it spins the WHOLE word and would like to have each individual character in the word spin on their own axis I guess you could say.

Is this possible or do I have to go through this process for each character of the word and place/space them out accordingly? Thanks!

Using Sony Vegas Pro 10 BTW

Edward Troxel January 3rd, 2012 07:58 AM

Re: Rotate Characters in Text On Their Own Axis?

With the standard text generated media, you would need to do each letter individually in it's own generated media. However, you may be able to do this more easily using the ProType Titler or maybe NewBlue's Titler Pro.

Don Bloom January 3rd, 2012 11:55 AM

Also BluffTitler can do that for you.

Ian Stark January 4th, 2012 03:08 AM

I just tried doing this in the standard text generator and I couldn't actually get the letter to disappear completely using track motion and a y rotation value of 90. I tried several letters and several fonts but without success.

What I was trying to do was to find an easy(ish) way of doing this using Vegas-only tools. I thought it might work by creating one letter, keyframing it using 3d track motion, then duplicating the track, editing the letter and changing each letter's x position in pan/crop, Unfortunately, when you duplicate a track, any subsequent text changes you make are also made in the other tracks (as though you had copy/pasted a reference copy to the original media).

So I think you will need to look at a third party app or brave the world of PTT (which I have evaded since it first saw the light of day!).

Ryan Wilcox January 4th, 2012 04:56 AM

is there anyway someone could explain how to do this in ProType Titler? I tried to do this each letter individually in the standard text with 3D track motion and it still didn't work. I'm not having any luck with ProType Titler either as this is the first time using that media generator. Thank you for your guy's insight.

Gerald Webb January 4th, 2012 05:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I had a quick go, love this stuff, lol.
There are a lot of options open if you play a bit.
Veg attached :)

Ryan Wilcox January 4th, 2012 05:35 AM

that's crazy how you were able to do that... unfortunately I only have pro 10 as I'm assuming you have pro 11 as it won't allow me to open that file. Saying it's a newer version

Adam Stanislav January 4th, 2012 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan Wilcox (Post 1707330)
that's crazy how you were able to do that... unfortunately I only have pro 10 as I'm assuming you have pro 11 as it won't allow me to open that file. Saying it's a newer version

I could not open it in Pro 11 because it is looking for some files called New track 1.mxf all the way through New track 4.mxf, none of which I have. I mean, it opened when I told it to ignore the missing files, but of course it did nothing with the media missing.

Ian Stark January 4th, 2012 08:30 AM

Adam, just mute the tracks above the four letter tracks and unmute the letter tracks. It will display OK then (without the materials in the mxf files). To speed up preview turn off the blur effects.

It's a good way to achieve the desired outcome, although to be honest I would prefer to spend 20 seconds on a NewBlue Titler Pro session!

Edward Troxel January 4th, 2012 09:56 AM

It is very easily accomplished with the NewBlue Titler Pro. Just add the "Turn" animation to the text and set it to turn the "letters" and where to start/end the turn and all letters can either turn at once or you can change the "overlap" so that the letters turn individually.

Gerald Webb January 4th, 2012 01:14 PM

Guys, the missing tracks are just the "render to new track" of the tracks below. If you work your way up with a cpl of renders it will display fine.
Sorry Ryan, should have done it in 10.
Agree, Ian. I'd prob go to AFX for this and have a 1000 options in about 20 sec as well. I just find it interesting to push Vegas a bit to see what she will do. Plus, every time I do something like this I normally learn something that I didnt know before.

Ian Stark January 4th, 2012 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerald Webb (Post 1707402)
I just find it interesting to push Vegas a bit to see what she will do. Plus, every time I do something like this I normally learn something that I didnt know before.

Totally with on you on that Gerald, I'm the same - and at the risk of sounding a bit OTT it's always a pleasure to read your solutions to such problems, especially on the subject of compositing. Happy New Year!

Gerald Webb January 4th, 2012 02:50 PM

Thanks Ian,
Happy New Year to you too.
cheers mate

Adam Stanislav January 4th, 2012 02:51 PM

OK, I see it now. So you are doing each letter separately on a different track. I imagine it would be easier in the NewBlue Titler Pro.