Workflow Issue: Got To Be A Better Way! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old January 3rd, 2012, 11:05 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Workflow Issue: Got To Be A Better Way!

Hi all,

So I do a lot of simple transfers of home video tapes (usually VHS but I see it all) to DVD. For most, I just toss it in my consumer copier and I'm done. But I also offer "light editing" services for a little more money. This usually means doing a few fades in/out, losing large drop-out sections, etc. Sometimes I also add a nice menu with chapters, etc in DVD-A.

Here's the problems in workflow I run into that really make it non-profitable at the moment.

1 - I usually copy the VHS to DVD with hardware copier and then pull the vob files into Vegas to edit. I can't believe how poorly Vegas handles these! I have a big bad computer and these stupid VOBs nearly kill it, while I can work with say, AVCHD with no problem at all!

2 - Most of these are around 2 hours (they shot them on 2 hour VHS tapes). If I try to burn DVD straight from Vegas - it tells me it needs like 9G? huh? Forcing me to render and go to DVD-A even if I need no menus or anything. I see no controls for bit rate when burning DVD from Vegas?

3 - Vegas just will NOT line up separate/contiguous VOB files properly - leaving a gap in audio. I've tried all the import methods. I have to use 3rd party VOB merge to get it sewn together, and then I'm dealing with 4G file which I'm sure doesn't help issue #1.

If someone has better suggestion fro any of these problems or overall better workflow for what I'm doing, I would be grateful to hear about it. TIA!

KenM
Old January 3rd, 2012, 11:13 AM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

Re: Workflow Issue: Got To Be A Better Way!

#1 - why not just capture straight to DV instead of going through a DVD (and losing quality) to get it into the computer. Just run the VCR to a convertor like the Canopus ADVC 100 and capture via firewire. That would eliminate many of the other issues you refer to.

#1b - Instead of dragging the VOB files to the timeline, you should use the File - Import - DVD Camcorder Disc instead which will bring in properly formatted MPEG2 files.

#2 - DVD Architect is dumb when it comes to file sizes. If you render out the MPEG2/AC3 files and they're the proper size and you know they are the proper size, ignore it and just go on.

#3 - can be eliminated by changing #1 and capturing DV. You can also eliminate it using the basic DOS "copy" command as follows:

copy /b file1.mpg + file2.mpg + file3.mpg outputfile.mpg

This will merge file1, file2, and file3 into a single new "outputfile" with no audio gaps.

I've read another solution about just copying the entire file structure in and then loading one of the other files (the IFO file maybe?) and it would import correctly as well. I'm sure it's posted on this site somewhere.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2012, 11:15 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Here's the post I made a little while ago that does indeed work like a charm.

If you're like me, you periodically have to import a DVD.
The problem has always been the short gap in the audio and video at the VOB break points.
There are a variety of ways to work around this but now, thanks to Gary James on the Sony Vegas forum, there's a MUCH better and easier way.
I'll quote his post verbatim.

Vegas allows you to open up a DVD .IFO file. This imports the entire .VOB chain for both video and audio tracks.

Click File > Open, then navigate to your VIDEO_TS sub directory and enter *.IFO in the File name input field.
For a regular DVD you will see a VIDEO_TS.IFO, and a VTS_01_0.IFO. Select the VTS_01_0.IFO file and click on Open.
Don't try this on a DVD disk because Vegas will try to build an .sfk file containing audio peaks in the VIDEO_TS directory.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2012, 01:14 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kujbida View Post
Click File > Open, then navigate to your VIDEO_TS sub directory and enter *.IFO in the File name input field.
Yep - that works pretty well - thanks for the info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Troxel View Post
#1 - why not just capture straight to DV instead of going through a DVD (and losing quality) to get it into the computer. Just run the VCR to a convertor like the Canopus ADVC 100 and capture via firewire. That would eliminate many of the other issues you refer to.
I have a Decklink Studio Card - and will likely start doing that - i just hate tying up the big computer to capture crappy home vhs video. Letting the hardware unit do it offline is efficient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Troxel View Post
#2 - DVD Architect is dumb when it comes to file sizes. If you render out the MPEG2/AC3 files and they're the proper size and you know they are the proper size, ignore it and just go on.
I'm not in DVD-A at this point - trying to burn STRAIGHT from Vegas (tools menu) - I see no compression options. One would THINK that a two hour video would naturally fit on a DVD.

Thanks - still aggravating all the time it takes just to add a few fades to a home movie .... maybe I need another consumer type tool for this?
Old January 3rd, 2012, 01:35 PM   #5
Sponsor: JET DV

Ahhh... I never burn DVDs straight from the Vegas timeline. One would think it would give you the option of bitrate. So it looks like you'll need to render using File - Render As so you can choose the proper bitrate desired and then burn with DVD Architect.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2012, 01:44 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Matson View Post
I'm not in DVD-A at this point - trying to burn STRAIGHT from Vegas (tools menu) - I see no compression options. One would THINK that a two hour video would naturally fit on a DVD.
My experience has been that using this option limits you to one hour at the most.
Anything longer and you have to render to MPEG-2 and AC-3 and use DVD Architect..

Quote:
.... maybe I need another consumer type tool for this?
Womble has several different products to check out.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2012, 04:30 PM   #7
Inner Circle

DVDA has a single movie, non menu option that requires virtually no learning curve. You render out as suggested with Vegas to a bit rate that will allow your movie to fit on a DVD.

The absolutely simplest option if you insist on burning from Vegas, would be to use a dual layer disc. I stopped using single layers for the most part and there is no more concern with quality vs size of the files.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2012, 07:24 PM   #8
Trustee

womble dvd. enough said....
Old January 5th, 2012, 08:17 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Wand View Post
womble dvd. enough said....
Looks promising - I think I'll try the free trial next one of these projects .... thanks!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...